high energy in wheel chair.... Loves her wheels

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
Indy

high energy in wheel chair.... Loves her wheels

Post by Indy »

I just have to say that my McNabb is in love with her Walkin Wheels. She took to it so quick. She did keep turning it over trying to run around, and putting her front paws on people. She even tried running up some stairs with it. We have clamped some posts at the back so when she starts to go backwards it stops her and her body weight tips her back forward. We are still having some flip over issues. I don't think there is a particular fix for that. She just needs to slow down. Don't honestly see that happening just yet. She has even spun around so fast in her wheels that she's thrown dust and pebbles. I don't recommend letting her do this, just sometimes, there is no stopping her. She is a very high energy dog and the stroke all but killed her. The best thing we did was purchase this wheelchair. It gave her incentive to get better. It lifted her spirits.
If you have any ideas how to slow her down when she if off leash, it would be helpful. Just when she's on leash she is a working dog. She is to be focused on what I want her to do, so I can walk her and another large dog together. Between her energy and his size and strength, it would be easy for me to lose them or be injured. So she needs this off leash time in the wheelchair. The flipping over is less frequent since March, but still happens. It really does scare me.
nbregger

Re: high energy in wheel chair.... Loves her wheels

Post by nbregger »

I think the most important thing is to make sure that the fitting is correct so she shouldn't be flipping over, unless of course she goes over a curb very fast. You can send me a picture of her in the wheelchair (side and rear view) and I can evaluate the fitting:
nancy@hpets.net :thankyou: