Help with dog stroller information needed

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
smirnoff

Help with dog stroller information needed

Post by smirnoff »

Hey

I am new to the forum looking up some answers for my dog "Smirnoff" she has unfortunately not long been hit by a car and pretty much lost the use of his back legs not completely but they only work for a short period and you can see the pain she is in. Before the accident we wen't everywhere together she would never leave my side, walks daily playing catch etc awesome dog awesome times!! That is why i wan't to make her life better as much as possible, I have been looking into to dog stroller classified ads getting as much information as possible some look great some looking like something out of "Edward scissor hands" or "toy story" scary looking machinery. They all seem fairly priced which is a bonus so what i would like to know is everyone's experiences with dog stroller's what are the bands to use?? i want the most amount of comfort for the dog!! or should i just buy a baby stroller?? :?

Thanks for any advice/information
karomon

Re: Help with dog stroller information needed

Post by karomon »

I came to this forum to make a similar post but instead of doubling up I'll just post here.

My one year old dog has some pretty serious joint issues. He is mobile and likes to walk but it's difficult for him to walk long distances. He loves going to the park and socializing so I've been looking into carts and strollers for him. The trouble is, he is usually a bit large for regular strollers (~45 lbs with long legs). I've been using one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Mac-Sports-Colla ... B00W9Z4B86. It folds up, which is important since I only need to be using it whenever he gets too tired to walk, but then again I've found it's a bit too heavy and bulky to lug around when not in use. I've also looked into the kind of strollers that can convert to bike attachments but those don't fold up at all so if my dog were walking I'd have to be pushing a big, empty cart around.

Anyone have this problem? Find a solution?
smirnoff

Post by smirnoff »

smirnoff wrote:Hey

I am new to the forum looking up some answers for my dog "Smirnoff" she has unfortunately not long been hit by a car and pretty much lost the use of his back legs not completely but they only work for a short period and you can see the pain she is in. Before the accident we wen't everywhere together she would never leave my side, walks daily playing catch etc awesome dog awesome times!! That is why i wan't to make her life better as much as possible, I have been looking into to dog stroller classified ads getting as much information as possible some look great some looking like something out of "Edward scissor hands" or "toy story" scary looking machinery. They all seem fairly priced which is a bonus so what i would like to know is everyone's experiences with dog stroller's what are the bands to use?? i want the most amount of comfort for the dog!! or should i just buy a baby stroller?? :?

Thanks for any advice/information

Karomon so far as you can see no reply's but the amazon link was very useful and there are a massive range of design and sizes for different dogs!!!

Thanks
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

We have a critter stroller, but I have no idea what brand it is since it was used when we got it. Human strollers didn't work very well for us. Have you considered a wheelchair (cart) so he might walk by himself? Usually the critter's legs can be up, like a wheelchair, or down, like a walker. That way they can walk but still get some support.
nbregger

Post by nbregger »

The stroller we sell is really nice for dogs under 40 lbs. It has a mesh front panel that zips up so dog can't jump out, and a band leash to clip onto dogs collar. This stroller folds flat and is designed nicely for a dog.
nbregger

Post by nbregger »

It does sound like your dog would be a good candidate for the adjustable wheelchair and the nice thing is it folds up flat. If your dog is out for a walk and gets tired, the lightweight Walkin' Wheels wheelchair can be folded up in the tote bag that comes with it. The wheelchair will take the weight off of the back end but still allow him to use his legs to re gain muscle.