Help please!!! Just cant get quad cart settings right!!

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
hippie1969

Help please!!! Just cant get quad cart settings right!!

Post by hippie1969 »

Hi all,
I am hoping someone is able to help me. I purchased a quad cart for my dog about a week ago and I am really struggling to get the settings right.
If I push my dog along he is able to walk but on his own he either goes in circles or backwards. He moves his front legs to go forward but nothing happens.
He can bear some weight in his hind legs in that he will walk when pushed in the cart but on his own he is tripping over his legs. I have no idea if I have the right settings for the height or if I should extend the front legs forward. Should the wheels be perpendicular or set back?
Any advice would be so appreciated as I am so frustrated for my dog :(
Thank you!!
Tara
IMG_1114.JPG
IMG_1115.JPG
IMG_1116.JPG
nbregger

Re: Help please!!! Just cant get quad cart settings right!!

Post by nbregger »

Hi Tara,

It appears that your dog is sitting on the leg rings instead of standing. You will need to tighten the legs rings a bit on all four sides. Hopefully, that will get his legs back and straight right in line with the wheels. The side bars could be extended about 2-3 buttons longer. You might want to try removing the chin bar to see if he moves forward. Feel free to call me at 888-253-0777. :thankyou:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'm NO cart expert, but I've heard of them going backwards or in circles MANY times; sometimes they even just stand there. I expect it's part of the learning process, and for some reason it seems easier for them to do backwards or circles. Have you tried treats, toys, friends (human or canine), etc. to teach him to pull it? Don't forget, too, that he probably has to develop different muscles to do so. A week is still very early on!!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

PS--If he's the sociable sort, maybe a trip to PetSmart or the like would help. It seems to me that he might be interested in meeting and greeting humans and critters, which might eventually trigger him to learn to pull it.
hippie1969

Post by hippie1969 »

Thank you everyone for your great suggestions!! my dog is now getting there, slowly but surely :)