Too much weight on shoulders

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
brecho1

Too much weight on shoulders

Post by brecho1 »

Hi - I am trying to get my new medium chair adjusted for my elderly dog. I have the wheels set back at an angle as she still uses her back legs okay - just a bit weak on one side and tends to fall over when she gets tired - and have them set so that the lines are matched up on the knuckle, as per the instructions. Extenders are level, and it all looks okay, but there is so much downward weight on her shoulders that she is really uncomfortable and struggling, and I'm sure there shouldn't be that amount of pressure. When I put my hands between the top strap on the front harness and her shoulders, it's even uncomfortable on my fingers. The harness is fitted well. What can I do to take the weight off?
critters
Founding Member

Re: Too much weight on shoulders

Post by critters »

:whale: I don't know if "nbregger" will be by today or when, because of the snow. They're a lot north of me, and we got inches. I'm sure she'll reply when she can.
brecho1

Post by brecho1 »

Thank you - I'm in New Zealand where it is summer :lol: Hope the snow clears quickly.
nbregger

Post by nbregger »

Hi, I am going to try to solve this problem of pressure over the shoulder. When you angle the wheels back, it puts more pressure on the shoulders. Try angling the wheels a bit forward so that two indicators are lined up and one is in the back. You should also get a dogs level and take a side view and rear view picture and email it to: Helpme@walkinpets.com with your order number on the subject line. This way I can evaluate the fitting and give you more suggestions. :thankyou:

https://www.handicappedpets.com/text-your-pets-picture/
brecho1

Post by brecho1 »

Thank you for the reply. From what you are suggesting, this will tilt the wheel shafts forwards rather than back or straight? I only have them slightly tilted - she couldn't walk properly with them straight. I have lowered the wheels and adjusted the front harness so that the extender shaft rings sit higher, and lifted the saddle up a bit for more support. The wheels are a bit lower than the instructions suggest and the extender shafts are not quite level, but this has made a big difference. We'll see how that goes, and will contact the help address if need be :) I've tried taking photos but she goes into her dying duck routine when in the cart so I can't get a decent shot of her standing properly in it :D :D Is the harness strap over the shoulders supposed to sit in front of, on, or behind the withers?
nbregger

Post by nbregger »

Hi again,

I would still like to see a photo of your dog in the wheelchair. I would like to see a side view and rear view. :thankyou:
Helpme@walkinpets.com
Primrose44

Post by Primrose44 »

:snoopy: It sounds like the chair adjustments may not be distributing the weight properly. Try experimenting with the wheel position and extenders, ensuring the weight is evenly distributed. You might also consider consulting with a veterinarian or a professional in mobility aids for pets to ensure the chair is tailored to your dog's specific needs. I hope that works!