Handicapped Pets Foundation 501c3 is looking for a new member of the board of directors.
For more information: https://hpets.org/index.php

Dolly

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Dolly

Post by critters »

Yeah, I'm NOT impressed.
CarolC

I messed up. What an idiot.

Post by CarolC »

We have this routine where around 9 PM Dolly comes to me and asks to get into her crate. She gets treats at bedtime. I put fresh bedding in her crate, then I take a handful of treats (consisting of cat kibbles) and give some to each dog in their own bed. As I was approaching Dolly's crate and she was bouncing along eagerly to accompany me to where I would toss treats into her fresh bedding in her crate, I accidentally hit the door and dropped the treats on the carpet. I started picking them up and she only ate a few off the carpet, then I tossed them into her crate where they belonged and she went in after them and I closed her door and thought everything was fine.

This morning I heard Dolly crying at 7 AM. It's the sort of sound she makes when she has a flea. One flea will drive her nuts. I haven't seen any fleas but she's sensitive to them so I gave her a flea tablet because I thought that's what it was. Then I did the before-breakfast pet chores and looked around to be sure everything was done and realized to my horror, Dolly had a diaper on! She normally sleeps bare-bottom.

Our routine is, when I toss the treats into her crate at night and she goes in, I hook a finger into the waistband of her diaper and unzip the velcro and whip it off as soon as she goes in, so any dirt that might be on the seat of the diaper will not get on her clean bedding, where she will be sleeping without protection. She has an open vulva due to her spinal condition and I do not want her getting germs on her bare skin that might cause a urinary infection.

What happened was, when I dropped the treats last night and picked them up and put them in the crate, I got distracted and forgot to remove her diaper. So she wore her 6 PM-to-bedtime diaper till breakfast. I took it right off as soon as I realized. I wonder if the crying this morning was because of a wet diaper. :( :( :(

She seems to be OK. I'll put extra ointment on her today. This is the only time I've forgotten to remove her diaper at bedtime since I got her. That won't happen again!
Christine

Post by Christine »

It is so easy to feel guilty because we care so much. I am sure she is so used to the routine you have created for her that she was just saying "Hey Mom...what the heck????" She's fine. You are probably one of the few dog moms who does not let her dog sleep in a diaper.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

LOL!!! I'm sure she was! :lol: I learned that here. I think it was from Paul Coover. Better to let them sleep without a diaper at night because it's good for the skin. It's been working for us all these years. I've said so many times, she's a good little groomer and I think she really *likes* to be in her crate with her clean blankets, and stretch out and give herself a nice luxurious bath all over. I guess we can relate to that! :wink: :wub: