Urine burn

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
CarolC

Urine burn

Post by CarolC »

My senior golden retriever wears a male wrap (belly band) and lies around 99% of the day, mainly on his right side. When he dribbles, the urine collects in the hollow of his abdomen next to the male area and this week he had a diaper rash so bad it could only be called urine burn. I've been using Huggies wipes with shea butter but they don't protect enough.

Yesterday I got old fashioined original A & D ointment. My gosh, the stuff REALLY works. His red skin looks almost normal this morning, I am thrilled! I was a little worried he might lick it as it contains cod liver oil, but he hasn't tried, and if he does I don't think it will do any harm.

They sell A & D at Walgreens. I think there is also a forumula with zinc oxide, but this is the original one without any zinc.
connie

good advice carol

Post by connie »

great advice carol,
cricket's carpet burns got bad early on before he spinal walked.
vets finally sent me to human drug store for that , plus the stuff i use on elderly skin.
hugs connie
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

I used A&D almost exclusively for diaper rash

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Andy's very short term baby sitter allowed him to wallow in a diaper sitting in his car seat for 8 hours waiting for mommy to pick him up after workk. Scalds don't quite put a name on it. He cleared up beautifully w/A&D which really has a moisture barrier. Also, zinc is good. A&D not only heals the wounds but it protects further.

I cannot speak highly enough about A&D. Also works well on all sorts of wounds, to enhance and speed up the normal scarring routine. I have used it all over for all the tears and gashes I have had. Takes the itch out of stitches as well, but be sure the skin has knit before putting on any ointment and check with your doc to make sure.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
amyd

Post by amyd »

I watch for the first sign of any pinkness in our incontinent chihuahua. the best ointment I have found is Balmex for diaper rash. it is really thick, provides a protective moisture barrier and clears it up in a day of so. and it doesn't burn. I just put on a thick coat of it with every diaper change until it is healed. couple days. works like a charm. good luck. oh, it also wipes off easy with a baby wipe without irritating the sensitive skin underneath. good luck. amy
amyd

Post by amyd »

my friend just told me that Balmex has zinc in it which can be harmful to dogs if they ingest it by licking it off...please check your labels!!
http://handipet.com/gallery2007/v/Brooklyn+from+Texas/
Here's Brooklyn's Link to her photos!
azbillridge

Urine Burn

Post by azbillridge »

I'm a new handicapped pet parent. We recently adopted Shelby (see her pic's under the 'rescue' forum) on the 7th of March. This is the first pet with this type handicap I have cared for. I was wondering if anyone had tried Desitin and how that worked, or does it contain zinc? Shelby has gotten a little red a time or two since she's been here, but not bad. She's had a UTI, but is on antibiotics and is improving. She still has some accidents and gets urine on her. I'm not sure if it's the UTI, or if I'm not getting her emptied out enough when I express her bladder. Since she weighs 50 lbs, she's a bit heavy for me to lift and I'm worried I'm not doing a good enough job. How can I tell? Her accidents are becoming less frequent, however, so would that mean mommy is improving on the expressing, or the UTI is getting better?? Also, I wondered how is a good way to keep her cleanest when she keeps having accidents. In addition to her regular baths, I have been bathing her back half each morning and night. I purchased a rectangular shaped mop bucket, which is just the right height for her back legs. It also tapers down on one end, to pour out the water. After getting her water ready in the bucket, I stand her with her back legs in the water, and her stomach goes where the tapered down side is. This is a perfect fit, and I can completely bath her back half with one hand, and steady her with the other. Whenever she has any accidents through out the day, I clean her with baby wipes. Is this sufficient enough? Or is there an easier way I hadn't thought of? I worry she'll get urine burn. I am very new at this, and any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
Attachments
Shelby 007.jpg
Dianne

Desitin Products

Post by Dianne »

I was wondering if anyone had tried Desitin and how that worked, or does it contain zinc?
There are 3 formulas of Desitin: Desitin Clear Multi-purpose is petroleum jelly (Vasoline), Desitin Creamy (has zinc oxide), and Desitin Original.

https://www.brands2liveby.com/brand.aspx?id=289
What is the difference between DESITIN® Original and DESITIN® Creamy ointments?

DESITIN® Original ointment is specifically formulated with 40% zinc oxide in a base that contains Norwegian cod liver oil, lanolin and petrolatum to treat diaper rash and provide long-lasting protection. DESITIN® Creamy ointment is a lighter 10% zinc oxide formula that glides on smoothly, wipes off gently, and has a fresh scent.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:pastel: Azbillridge! I'd be interested to see a pic of your bathtub bucket-- what a unique and creative idea!!

As for the cause of fewer accidents, it could be either, and I guess time will have to tell. I, too, use butt wipes on Ari for smaller messes, like I did with Buddy. Sometimes nothing'll fix it but a bath, though! :hysterical:
azbillridge

Urine Burn

Post by azbillridge »

Thanks! I do apologize for the HUGE picture of Shelby....I thought I was putting a small one!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Ah, well, somebody can always handle shrinking pics; sadly, though, it's not me. :D
azbillridge

Urine Burn

Post by azbillridge »

Shelby in her bath bucket!
Attachments
Shelby 003.jpg
azbillridge

Urine Burn

Post by azbillridge »

Well, I did hope that picture would be smaller, but I can't figure out how to shrink pics either. This type of bucket can be found at most any hardware store, or possibly Walmart?? It came with a basket on top to wring out the mop with, and I just removed that. I fold a small towel over the side for padding under her stomach, and it works great!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Cool! :thankyou: It IS a great fit!! I don't know that I'd have thought of that! :lol:
azbillridge

Urine Burn

Post by azbillridge »

Thanks!