Test Strips for Kidney/UT/other issues?

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
athenesan

Test Strips for Kidney/UT/other issues?

Post by athenesan »

Hi everyone. There's a cat at the shelter (stray, over ten years) who is drinking a lot of water and is urinating a lot. I'm concerned that something's up, but if I call this to their attention, it's possible they'll want to kill her to prevent her from suffering (because they won't spend money on the older ones). Is there anything (inexpensive) I can do to check her for the usual suspects?
She cries a lot, though her pupils don't seem too dilated, though I suppose it could be hyperthyroid, diabetes, nothing, too.
Any advice?
Thanks so much in advance =).
Ashley
critters
Founding Member

Re: Test Strips for Kidney/UT/other issues?

Post by critters »

Weak kidneys are probably likeliest. You could try the dipsticks, but I don't know how accurate they are. They can be expensive to buy a bunch, so maybe your vet will donate one for the cause? You'll also need to see the color chart, to match it after you dip.
athenesan

Post by athenesan »

That makes me feel better. I'm sure I can scrounge something up next week.
Thanks!
Ashley
SandyNY

Post by SandyNY »

You can buy pool test strips for ph relatively cheap. see if you can find someone with a pool who uses strips or else buy some at walmart. you can also purchase litter that tests for blood in the urine at walmart or petsmart; or other places too. you can call the receptionist or nurse at your doctors office and ask them if they can get you a couple urine strips for diabetics. they might be able to hook you up. i would collect all these test strips before testing because cats tend to think you are pretty weird when you stick a strip of paper in their pee stream! if you do this on seperate occassions , she may start avoiding you!

If this cat is not fixed, that may add to the # of pee times.
Hugs and good wishes on the way to you!!!
athenesan

Post by athenesan »

Hmm... I don't know if she's been fixed. She came in as a stray. I'll find out.
No Walmarts around here though =). I think the closest one is at least a half an hour away and I don't have a car. But I can find something, I'm sure.
Thanks so much!
Ashley