bladder stones

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
marilynb

bladder stones

Post by marilynb »

My dog Wally has bladder stones and the vet told me to give him cranbery supplements and cut them and put it in his food,when i cut it there wasn't much cranberry juice in there. I had a hard time cutting it, does anyone hav any suggestions?

Marilyn and Wally
Christine

Re: bladder stones

Post by Christine »

I am sorry to hear Wally and you are dealing with these. I am sure you have been looking all over the internet about this, but just in case you haven't seen this article, it has some good information.

http://www.gopetsamerica.com/dog-health ... tones.aspx

It mentions cranberry extract and juice. Just be sure that whatever form of cranberry you use, that it is organic. (A lot of pesticides are used in the conventional growing methods.)

You might also check Dr. Pitcairn's Book on Natural Healing for Animals. There are recipes for homemade food for every issue. Keep us posted. I hope he will be back to normal soon.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
janew

Re: bladder stones

Post by janew »

Science diet has or used to have an S/D formula (stone diet). It is or was (been awhile since I was vet tech in a daily not emergency practice) a vile smelling food that some pets turned their noses up at, we had folks mix it with C/D (science diet cystitis formula) if they refused the S/D. Pediactric vit -C drops also can help lower the urine ph (make the urine more acid) & possibly help stop stone formation.
jane