Dog can poo but bladder expressing is difficult

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
kbarallon

Dog can poo but bladder expressing is difficult

Post by kbarallon »

Hi all. My pug peggy can poo on her own and seems to be getting really uncomfortable about me expressing her. She had a spinal surgery that failed and I have been told by the surgen that she is permenantly paraylsed. It's been a month since sugery and she always has a wet nappy. After sugery I was expressing her 4-5 times a day but now I'm wondering if she is actually going on her own. I especially find it weird that she gets so aggetated about being expressed when she is supposed to have no feeling. She lifts her legs to pee when I do succesfully express her but the vet said this is a 'closed circuit response from her reflexs' and she has no deep pain response. I am actually an Animal Tech by trade so I feel really let down by this recent situation that I should have under control. Does anyone have a dog that poo's on their own and regained bladder function?
CarolC

Re: Dog can poo but bladder expressing is difficult

Post by CarolC »

It can take 3 to 6 months to regain bladder function. You might want to check her urine to be sure there isn't an infection, you can't always see or smell it. Does she seem any more comfortable if you express her out in the grass?
kbarallon

Post by kbarallon »

Thanks for that. My vet makes everything sound so hard and has pretty much written off my dog so to have a light at the end of the tunnel even dim, is nice. I have carpal tunnel syndrome in my wrists and expressing can be painful at times but to think that she may be better in a few month gives me hope to go on. :)
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

Hi and welcome:)

My 11 year old Pug, duchess was suddenly paralysed 15 months ago and like you had little help from her Vet. We couldn't go the Surgery Route due to her having an enlarged heart. There are many stories with happy endings, I trust in time Peggy will improve like so many others. My Dog has regained a little movement but doubt if she'll improve anymore, it doesn't bother her, she gets about very well, in her own Fashion.

She can poo on her own but I usually help it along before I express her Bladder, it makes it easier.. I cannot express her Bladder in the normal way but have found my own method. I put her on a pee pad and sit next to her facing her rear end and support her weight, reaching my left arm over her back and put my hand on her tummy. I then pat her genital area 4/5 times fairly briskly and the urine streams out for a few seconds, I keep repeating that 'til she's empty. I do this 3/4 times a day and she never has accidents.

This method could work better for you considering your painful wrists??
2 x 10 year old Pugs, Duke and Duchess. Duchess has hind leg paralysis.
1 x 3 year old Maltese (Terror) Terrior! Oly
2 x 5 year old Greenwing Macaws, Missy and Rojo
Living in Spain.