After 6 weeks of catheter Riley peed own his own!

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
riley'smom

After 6 weeks of catheter Riley peed own his own!

Post by riley'smom »

We can hardly believe it. Who knew two people could be so happy that their dog peed all over the bed and floors? After almost six weeks of having to use a catheter and Riley's bladder decided it was finally going to work today! Actually it worked too well, he was peeing/dribbling every time we moved him. I am taking this as a good sign though given where we were with him. He has one leg that jerks violently when we move it.....I THINK he is getting some feeling back. Now it looks like we need to adjust to an entirely different problem with his bladder. Can't wait to call the vet tomorrow!!! They just told us last week that he is likely not going to regain his bladder control :)

Riley's Mom
CarolC

Re: After 6 weeks of catheter Riley peed own his own!

Post by CarolC »

You must be overjoyed! :ecstatic: Between catheterizing and dribbling, I'd rather have the dribbling! Kind of interesting that he went from one extreme to the other, not sure what to make of that, but at least you aren't catheterizing now. I wonder if he is now expressible?
:malewrap:
Malewraps are your good friend. They will save your carpet and reduce laundry. Here is my dog in his malewrap.

You can find more information here:

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php/Diapers_and_male_wraps

Here he is with a wrap with handles:

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/?title=Male_wrap_with_handles
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

I can relate to your Happiness, great News isn't it? Yes, don't we get excited over these Events, Precious!

I hope you can get Riley expressed, it would save you a lot of work, I express my Girl 3/4 times a day and She never has accidents. How did it go at the Vet today???
2 x 10 year old Pugs, Duke and Duchess. Duchess has hind leg paralysis.
1 x 3 year old Maltese (Terror) Terrior! Oly
2 x 5 year old Greenwing Macaws, Missy and Rojo
Living in Spain.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Yay!!! Happy, happy....joy, joy!!! :trophy:
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
riley'smom

Post by riley'smom »

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to sincerely say that having this forum has been such an amazing help to us as we went through this journey with Riley. Unfortunately, his sudden urination was a bad thing, blood tests showed he was suffering from kidney disease and he had a very bad infection. His urnine was full of blood and It was hard for him to lie down and he lost his smile and sparkle. Our vet told advised us that to prolong his life at this point would not be the best thing for Riley and we put him to sleep Monday afternoon with much sadness. He had a great Friday and Saturday and within 2 days he got worse by the hour. The sad thing is, he was getting his legs back at the end so if it were not for the kidney failure, I really believe he would have been on the road to walking. For anyone else that is going through an FCE with their pet, I just want to say that the first 4 weeks we saw next to no sign of recovery, and then all of a sudden his legs were starting to move in his wheelchair and he was pulling and kicking when touched.....all signs of improvement.

Riley was only with us a short while and he had a terrible life filled with a lot of sickness and disease. As much as I miss him and as much as this all seems so unfair, I am convinced we were brought together for a reason. He deserved to be loved and adored and I learned from him how to be accepting of what life throws at you and that you can adapt to any situation and still be happy.

Take care,

Riley's Mom :angel:
Christine

Post by Christine »

Oh no, no, no...I am so sorry!! Your sweet boy touched us all and taught us each some new thing. This just doesn't seem real that things happened so quickly. Tears and prayers for you and your family. Your Riley will be missed by those he never met.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Oh no...I'm so sorry. For sure he knew he was loved, and he knew you were doing everything you could to help him. After all you did, and all you put into it, it's too bad he went into kidney failure when you were so close. I'm really sorry for your loss.
:candle: