Pink Urine

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Shaz

Pink Urine

Post by Shaz »

As some of you know My Duchess of 10 years has hind leg Paralysis.

2 days ago I smelt a difference in her Urine, so collected a sample to take to the Vet. As I was leaving she Urinated Pink on the floor!

The Sample was clear of Bugs, the Vet said with her condition the Bladder is also paralized.....OK , but I don't think it is, she knows when she wants to go.

Anyway, I started her on Amoxicillan and will have to continue for the course of treatment.

Today she is Urinating "Clear".

Anybody else had this issue.

Sharon x
2 x 10 year old Pugs, Duke and Duchess. Duchess has hind leg paralysis.
1 x 3 year old Maltese (Terror) Terrior! Oly
2 x 5 year old Greenwing Macaws, Missy and Rojo
Living in Spain.
GSD Guy

Re: Pink Urine

Post by GSD Guy »

It could be something she ate....foods like beets can turn human urine pink....
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

Hi GSD Guy

That's exactly what the Vet said, but no, she hadn't eaten anything unusual. Thanks!
Living in Spain.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

The big 2 are UTI and urinary crystals or stones; we're 100% for peeing Kool Aid being a UTI, though.
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

Hi and thank you Critters.

I thought UTI, as I have learnt here it can be an issue with the handicapped. The Urine Sample was clear of 'Bugs" so it just might have been one of Life's Mysteries. OR, crystals/stones as you pointed out, I didn't think of that. Duchess is fine now, phew, don't they just love to scare us??!!

Sharon x
Living in Spain.
marilynb

Post by marilynb »

I heard from Wally"s vet,his blood came out ok. Wally's urine showed a high level of crystals. He had no bacteria or urine infection, the vet wants me to bring him back a week after he finishes his meds. The vet is going to chck his urine again, if he still shows high for crystals she will do an e-ray. The vet thinks he may have passed a stone or has stones. I pray Wally will be ok.

Marilyn and Wally
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

Hi Marilyn

I too pray Wally will be OK, is he OK in himself at the moment?
Living in Spain.
marilynb

Post by marilynb »

Thank you for asking about Wall. He seems good eating, drinking (probably not as much as he should). Wally is also playing. I sure hope he won"t need surgery for stones.

Marilyn and Wally
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

Hi everyone

It's over a year since I posted about Duchess's Pink Urine, 5 days ago She started peeing Pink again and sometime red, which coincides with her Season, 3 days ago she passed Crystals, probably about the size of 2 Peas but now weeing Clear, another worrying issue, bur she came through and still very happy in herself.

I am not around much as have to go to the UK every 3 weeks, My Mum isn't too good but I do think of you all:)
Living in Spain.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

My dog Katie had urinary infections coinciding with her Seasons, too. She was not fixed when I found her paralyzed, and I knew she wasn't because at the hospital they said they thought she might actually be in heat at that time. She went through 2 or 3 Seasons after I got her, because I was reluctant to get her spayed because I had to express her and I didn't want to express around an abdominal incision. However, she kept getting UTIs every time she went into heat, with no problem with UTIs when she wasn't in heat. Then she got mammary cancer and the oncologist said it might help her cancer risk slightly to spay her, so we did, and we survived expressing around the spay surgery. The surgeon who spayed her knew she had to be expressed and he did his incision way up toward her ribcage and put in extra sutures. Being spayed took care of the problem of UTIs. She was probably about 9 years old when she was spayed. I was hoping the spay surgery would make her easier to express, but it was about the same. Best wishes for you and your mother.
:angel:
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

Thank you Carol!

I am pleased you found a solution for Katie:) Duchess cannot have an Op. of any sort as she has an enlarged heart and the Vet. says Ops. are too risky for her:( Thank you for the info. and will pass it on to anyone I come across having this UTI problem with their paralysed Pets.

Sharon:)
Living in Spain.