Hi Everyone!! New here, let me tell you about me and Kermit

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
vettech

Hi Everyone!! New here, let me tell you about me and Kermit

Post by vettech »

HI, my name is Destiny. I live in Washington about 20 minutes from Seattle. I've been a Veterinary Technician for ten years, 4 years in general practice, 4 years in Emergency and the last two ive exculsively been doing Critical Care. I have many pets or rather "kids" to me. Many have come to me in my work situation or foster in which they could not be adopted. Let me tell you about them--all :) its a job hazard you know lol.
Capone- My first kitty, got him in college going to tech school, he was a feral kitten and even though he was taken in at 4 weeks old still has that feral "run" to him. He loves chicken, knows that fast food wrappers could contain nuggets, and loves secrect night time cuddles or is content to just sit next to me on the arm of the couch and watch a movie late at night. He's now twelve and except for the hair coat in the back end looks pretty good.
Milo- is a JRT/Corgi mix adopted from a local shelter he is now 10.5 years old and still acts like he's 5. Being corgi he has the crooked front legs that dont really bend anymore, but thankfully we've only had one back scare with him that resolved in just a couple of days.
Harley- a bottle baby kitten all by himself, he is the definition to "psycho bottle baby syndrome" and is a big protecter in my house he likes to check out all strangers who enter and he decides if the other should like them or not :)
Taycee- She is five, a full jack russell and she was born Deaf. Her breeder was just looking for a good home for her with someone who knew what they were in for. She is my most challenging dog in terms of overall chaos of my home but i wouldn't give her up for anything.
Ben- He was a bottle baby kitten as well, he had a sister whom nursed on his shall we say "junk" and poor boy got an infection and as it began to heal slowly closed over his prepuce leaving the tiniest hole to pass pee from. matter of fact he wasn't passing any was his problem. I felt so bad for him just a tiny baby. I was sedating him every day to express him and then there were times i couldn't i would have to bring him to work and actually put him under anesthesia to get his urine out. At times i couldn't even express him and there were so many stressful nights in which i had to decide to wake him up at all. I always did though and was on pins and needles while i waited to see if he could go and somehow he always did. As he grew bigger and stronger he no longer needed me to help him and is now a healthy happy kitty whom sleeps on my hip every night.
NaNuQ- Well nanuq came to me as a two week old Pekingese with his little right eye popped out, he was surendered as the owner had no money for his surgery. He had surgery (two actually) and I bottle raised him along side another litter of kittens. He is the best dog ever, laid back, affectionate, funny and i love him dearly. He knows several of his toys by name and can play with them for hours on end.
Finnegan- He was a stray whom was found at 6 months old and only 4 months since having Nanuq, he had a ruptured eye also the same one as Nanuq which made our bond instant. I only took him to pay for his surgery and get him all fixed with the intention of finding him another home but he ended up staying of course. He now has a strong bond with my brother as he rather have quiet cuddle time then be surrounded by all the others.
Leroi- he is my 3 year old African Grey parrot the only "kid" of mine ive actually choosen to get rather then one that's choosen me. Ive always wanted one and figured i wasn't getting any younger it was already going to out live me. I love him and can listen to this funny bird talk for hours.
Ginger- Well Ginger is my dream dog, one that ive also always wanted but thought id never have cause i didn't want to pay for a dog. She is a tiny toy poodle, she weighs 4 lbs. She came from an expensive place and cost 1700 dollars but she's a lesson to most as you should always have money for emergencies. At four months old she jumped from the height of just 10 or so inches-off of a cat kennel on the floor and broke both her front legs. Her owner could not afford her very expensive 4000 surgery and now is my pride and joy. I love my poodle!!
Kermit- last but not least and the whole reason i found this website and am always on here, although just now introducing myself. As ive mentioned above about bottle babies, well i do one or more litters for local shelters a year during kitten seaon but had never done a mommy cat and her babies, oh my gosh is it so much easier. Well last year i did my first one, she was a great mommy and had 6 beautiful babies. I noticed at 3 weeks old that one didn't seem quite "right" he seemed a little slow and didn't move a whole lot compared to the others. By 6 weeks i knew he was special. Mentally he was behind, he didn't grasp the concept of mush food, a dish, and overall was just behind his siblings. His walking was odd as he bunny hopped and his legs often were dragged along to one side. I took him in to see my neurologist and she couldn't immediately rule out a spinal vs brain vs hip problem as he was so young. I started some PT on him and was just going to observe him. At 12 weeks i had him re-evaluated st it was determined to be his hips, he didn't seem to have hip sockets, he has a crooked short kinked up tail that he cannot feel this along with his overall back end has caused nerve problems and he cannot use the bathroom by himself. Alas why i still have him, the shelter could not adopt him out because he cannot or doesn't use a litter box. He has caught up mentally and is a normal 8 month old kitten now, he bunny hops but is strong and doesn't drag or shift his legs to the sides. Its been hard, its an everyday thing now. Ive had to alter my life and my whole house to accomidate for him. We have been through several food trials trying to find one that will work for him and not give him diarrhea. If he even gets a treat it can set him off and he must spend the day locked up. I have interviewed a couple homes for him before and had two weeks of stress thinking about him being somewhere besides my house. Ultimately i decided to stick to my rule which has always been that if i bring an animal in my home that im going to keep and it will be mine I will have it through anything it needs or goes through no matter what. I live with my brother and it is a struggle to have Kermit leave presents around- and try to keep him clean as well as my house clean to apease my brother which i can't blame sometimes getting frustrated. Kermit is expressed twice daily pee and poop, he leaks somtimes but can retain a bladder. Ive tried diapers but they just don't work in my house, im too busy and don't want to risk infection. he is bathed a min. once weekly otherwise i just use wipes daily. I came to this site and saw all the wonderful people with no vet experience and seeing all you take care of all your "special" kids let me know that if you can do it so can I. Everything you say to those who need help is usually right on based on your personal research and experience. Ive seen most all of it and never think you guys say the wrong thing to people. I hope if anyone needs any advice on emergency things, babies of all ages, back dogs, urine issues, and just overall help they will let me know if i can help too in any way. Anyone need a foster in WA, or OR or transporting somewhere near here im here for that too. Thanks for reading my very long post. Glad to join the site and hope to know you all better then i already do through all your great posts- Destiny.
Christine

Re: Hi Everyone!! New here, let me tell you about me and Ker

Post by Christine »

Destiny!!! You belong here...so glad you found us. Your fur family sounds wonderful and are so lucky to have you...and so are we!

:heartswelcome:
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Simka

Post by Simka »

You live in the same area as me. I work in Seattle, at UW, and live about 25 miles north. It looks like I'm about to start fostering two incontinent kittens from the sanctuary where I volunteer and I've been looking through all the material on this site that might help me. It will be good to have another expert on board for those of us who are new to expressing, etc. I'm used to cats who don't/won't use a litter box, or even a litter area for various reasons and I'm caring for a cat with a progressive neuromuscular disorder who has to be diapered now, but learning to express both bladder and bowel will be another steep slope in my learning curve.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Destiny,

It is wonderful when we have vet techs here, I hope you stick around! Your story of the kitten who was injured from being nursed on by a sibling reminded me of an absolutely precious picture we used to be able to give people the link to, but it was posted on an MSN group and the MSN groups shut down. I still have the old link, but cannot reach it and it isn't in archive.org.

http://groups.msn.com/JettasGallery/kit ... PhotoID=83

It showed 3 tiny kittens wearing baby socks as a kind of body suit to protect them from that same nursing behavior. How I wish I had a copy of that photo, but it was posted on a group so I didn't feel like I could copy it. Even though I knew about the little body suits and the reason for them all these years, I never knew the extent of damage they were trying to prevent until I read your post. He was a lucky kitten, my gosh, almost any other kitten would not have gotten all the care that went into saving him.

That's so interesting about Kermit. There have been a number of pets here without hip sockets, but I've never heard of one that seemed slow mentally and then caught up. That's interesting and encouraging, I wonder if you have any idea why he was slow or how he managed to grow out of it. I'm glad he did, and glad such a thing is possible! :angel:

critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

vettech wrote:HI, my name is Destiny. I live in Washington about 20 minutes from Seattle. I've been a Veterinary Technician for ten years, 4 years in general practice, 4 years in Emergency and the last two ive exculsively been doing Critical Care. I have many pets or rather "kids" to me. Many have come to me in my work situation or foster in which they could not be adopted. Let me tell you about them--all :) its a job hazard you know lol.

Capone- My first kitty, got him in college going to tech school, he was a feral kitten and even though he was taken in at 4 weeks old still has that feral "run" to him. He loves chicken, knows that fast food wrappers could contain nuggets, and loves secrect night time cuddles or is content to just sit next to me on the arm of the couch and watch a movie late at night. He's now twelve and except for the hair coat in the back end looks pretty good. Sounds like Mosby, my house feral.

Milo- is a JRT/Corgi mix adopted from a local shelter he is now 10.5 years old and still acts like he's 5. Being corgi he has the crooked front legs that dont really bend anymore, but thankfully we've only had one back scare with him that resolved in just a couple of days.

Harley- a bottle baby kitten all by himself, he is the definition to "psycho bottle baby syndrome" and is a big protecter in my house he likes to check out all strangers who enter and he decides if the other should like them or not :)
Taycee- She is five, a full jack russell and she was born Deaf. Her breeder was just looking for a good home for her with someone who knew what they were in for. She is my most challenging dog in terms of overall chaos of my home but i wouldn't give her up for anything.
Ben- He was a bottle baby kitten as well, he had a sister whom nursed on his shall we say "junk" and poor boy got an infection and as it began to heal slowly closed over his prepuce leaving the tiniest hole to pass pee from. matter of fact he wasn't passing any was his problem. I felt so bad for him just a tiny baby. I was sedating him every day to express him and then there were times i couldn't i would have to bring him to work and actually put him under anesthesia to get his urine out. At times i couldn't even express him and there were so many stressful nights in which i had to decide to wake him up at all. I always did though and was on pins and needles while i waited to see if he could go and somehow he always did. As he grew bigger and stronger he no longer needed me to help him and is now a healthy happy kitty whom sleeps on my hip every night. Awww!

NaNuQ- Well nanuq came to me as a two week old Pekingese with his little right eye popped out, he was surendered as the owner had no money for his surgery. He had surgery (two actually) and I bottle raised him along side another litter of kittens. He is the best dog ever, laid back, affectionate, funny and i love him dearly. He knows several of his toys by name and can play with them for hours on end.

Finnegan- He was a stray whom was found at 6 months old and only 4 months since having Nanuq, he had a ruptured eye also the same one as Nanuq which made our bond instant. I only took him to pay for his surgery and get him all fixed with the intention of finding him another home but he ended up staying of course. He now has a strong bond with my brother as he rather have quiet cuddle time then be surrounded by all the others.

Leroi- he is my 3 year old African Grey parrot the only "kid" of mine ive actually choosen to get rather then one that's choosen me. Ive always wanted one and figured i wasn't getting any younger it was already going to out live me. I love him and can listen to this funny bird talk for hours.

Ginger- Well Ginger is my dream dog, one that ive also always wanted but thought id never have cause i didn't want to pay for a dog. She is a tiny toy poodle, she weighs 4 lbs. She came from an expensive place and cost 1700 dollars but she's a lesson to most as you should always have money for emergencies. At four months old she jumped from the height of just 10 or so inches-off of a cat kennel on the floor and broke both her front legs. Her owner could not afford her very expensive 4000 surgery and now is my pride and joy. I love my poodle!!

Kermit- last but not least and the whole reason i found this website and am always on here, although just now introducing myself. As ive mentioned above about bottle babies, well i do one or more litters for local shelters a year during kitten seaon but had never done a mommy cat and her babies, oh my gosh is it so much easier. Well last year i did my first one, she was a great mommy and had 6 beautiful babies. I noticed at 3 weeks old that one didn't seem quite "right" he seemed a little slow and didn't move a whole lot compared to the others. By 6 weeks i knew he was special. Mentally he was behind, he didn't grasp the concept of mush food, a dish, and overall was just behind his siblings. His walking was odd as he bunny hopped and his legs often were dragged along to one side. I took him in to see my neurologist and she couldn't immediately rule out a spinal vs brain vs hip problem as he was so young. I started some PT on him and was just going to observe him. At 12 weeks i had him re-evaluated st it was determined to be his hips, he didn't seem to have hip sockets, he has a crooked short kinked up tail that he cannot feel this along with his overall back end has caused nerve problems and he cannot use the bathroom by himself. Alas why i still have him, the shelter could not adopt him out because he cannot or doesn't use a litter box. He has caught up mentally and is a normal 8 month old kitten now, he bunny hops but is strong and doesn't drag or shift his legs to the sides. Its been hard, its an everyday thing now. Ive had to alter my life and my whole house to accomidate for him. We have been through several food trials trying to find one that will work for him and not give him diarrhea. If he even gets a treat it can set him off and he must spend the day locked up. I have interviewed a couple homes for him before and had two weeks of stress thinking about him being somewhere besides my house. Ultimately i decided to stick to my rule which has always been that if i bring an animal in my home that im going to keep and it will be mine I will have it through anything it needs or goes through no matter what. I live with my brother and it is a struggle to have Kermit leave presents around- and try to keep him clean as well as my house clean to apease my brother which i can't blame sometimes getting frustrated. Kermit is expressed twice daily pee and poop, he leaks somtimes but can retain a bladder. Ive tried diapers but they just don't work in my house, im too busy and don't want to risk infection. he is bathed a min. once weekly otherwise i just use wipes daily. I came to this site and saw all the wonderful people with no vet experience and seeing all you take care of all your "special" kids let me know that if you can do it so can I. Everything you say to those who need help is usually right on based on your personal research and experience. Ive seen most all of it and never think you guys say the wrong thing to people. I hope if anyone needs any advice on emergency things, babies of all ages, back dogs, urine issues, and just overall help they will let me know if i can help too in any way. Anyone need a foster in WA, or OR or transporting somewhere near here im here for that too. Thanks for reading my very long post. Glad to join the site and hope to know you all better then i already do through all your great posts- Destiny.
:strobe:
wondergeorge

Post by wondergeorge »

Welcome! It's nice to have someone in the field here. And I'm sure I am not alone in saying that I appreciate your words on our advice.

It can be challenging, but these little guys are worth the extra work. The bond I have with Darwin cannot be matched by any of my other kids.

If you have any questions about diapers please let me know. I have managed to keep Darwin 90% or more infection-free in his diapers.