Dog with FCE incontinence has gotten worse!

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
JasiriPup

Dog with FCE incontinence has gotten worse!

Post by JasiriPup »

A few months ago Jasiri(my rottie) came down with FCE and then on Saturday he hit a van whilst out with the dog walker. Nothing broken, just a couple deep abrasions luckily on his back right leg.

With FCE comes incontinence as many of you know. Jasiri had been getting better. He got to the point where he would only need to use the belly band if someone was coming over(excitement) and during the night.

Two days ago(Tuesday) he started urinating in the house whenever we left. I left for 8 minutes to drop something off at the house down the street yesterday and when I came back he had urinated everywhere... not an exaggeration sadly. The door to the backyard is left open for the dogs and we keep the dogs confined to the kitchen when we're gone. This only happens when no one(human) is home. My aunt stayed home all day with Jasiri today and he didn't urinate once.

Spoken with the vet briefly without any luck. I have another vet appt tomorrow for another bandage change so I'll be speaking with them more and seeing if they've thought of something.

I've been searching online but I'm not finding anything that answers the question "why?"

Any ideas?
critters
Founding Member

Re: Dog with FCE incontinence has gotten worse!

Post by critters »

:whale: If it were me, I'd assume either a spinal cord injury in the wreck with the dog walker or a temporary regression in ability due to the crash. Personally, I'd use a little prednisone, just in case. I'd also express and use the band until things improve.
jaywilly36

Post by jaywilly36 »

My little 4 year old shih tzu suffered from this for five months and has startes to pee on his own and the number twos you never know when he is gonna do that it just comes out but dont give up hope your baby will get better
JasiriPup

Post by JasiriPup »

jaywilly36 wrote:My little 4 year old shih tzu suffered from this for five months and has startes to pee on his own and the number twos you never know when he is gonna do that it just comes out but dont give up hope your baby will get better
Thank you for commenting. He has no control over his bladder and wears a belly band 24/7 inside of the house. As long as he goes out every few hours he doesn't defecate in the house but even then, if he's excited all bets are off. It has been two years now and while I am happy that my dog can walk and that he no longer needs to be expressed in order to pee, I have long lost any hope of him getting any better than he is now.

I am so glad your dog has gotten better. It truly is wonderful to hear! :)