Cat with sacral fracture/broken tail

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Getwellbobo

Re: Cat with sacral fracture/broken tail

Post by Getwellbobo »

Its my first post on here, im from Bristol, England.

My baby Bobo was ran over on Sunday and at the vets now. His tail is getting amputated this afternoon and bascially we are praying he will start weeing or its not looking good. My cat has no anal tone either but is happy in every other way. I would like to know if anyone has a cat who they have had for a while and express both wee and poo?? If we do bring him home to do this its life changing, as i cant expect anyone else to do this for us, so all my holdiays will be out the window. Our vets have given him 2 weeks then they said its easier to put them down..... HELP!!! hes only 11 months old and is bright as a button apart from that!!!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: 2 weeks is DEFINITELY not long enough, and, frankly, I'd find another vet who's not so pessimistic. You can learn to express his poop and pee (see the red sticky post at the top of this board), and he'll most likely improve, and he may even recover to a good or even complete degree.
Getwellbobo

Post by Getwellbobo »

Thank you Critters, He is in the vets till MOnday to see the medication to relax his Uratha works, then i will take it from there, Im determind they are not going to put him down though!!!
barley

Post by barley »

I went through 5 vets who wanted to put my cat down because he couldn't pee or poo after getting hit by a car - I kept changing vets until I got someone who was optimistic. Now, two and a half months later, he is weeing in his litter box and has made a lot of progress! So, good for you for not listening to negative vets! I really don't know why they are so insistant on putting animals down.
Getwellbobo

Post by Getwellbobo »

THank you all so much for your advice, seems now I have a weekend vet she thinks different, HI smedication is helping him wee (express) better than before so fingers crossed for a Monday homecoming x Glad to hear your cat is on the mend.
Getwellbobo

Post by Getwellbobo »

Just an update on Bo, he is doing so much better, im so glad i listened to you all on here, otherwise he wouldnt be around now if my vet had anything to do with it. Hes been home a week now, he seems to be managing pretty well with no tail considering, his stitches are neearly healed and hes getting back to his cheeky kitten self. HIs bladder is not 100%, he can go in his tray, so something is connecting in his brain with his nerves but also when he scratfches his ear he seems to wee and also poo's in his sleep. Im cleaning up after him constantly but i dont care, its so nice to have him home. He has a check up tonight but hopefully wont have to go back after tonight. Please keep me updated on your pussy cats. xx
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

YAY!! Koi used to drop nuggets in his sleep and doesn't anymore. You might consider the poop on demand info above to limit this. Koi still leaks pee, but I hope to try meds soon to help that. Glad you didn't listen to the vet!!
Getwellbobo

Post by Getwellbobo »

Hi all

Well its been just over a month now since Bobos accident, hes so much better and happy to be home, Off all medication now, the only problem i am noticing is him not weeing in his tray, but to be honest hes out all day so i expect he does it when hes out. He had his last check up on Friday and the vet has given him the all clear, just have to keep a watch on his toilet habbits. He seems to be eating a lot of grass but the vet didnt seem that worried as for all hes been through and all the drugs he probably will have a dodgy tummy.

How are your cats doing? xx
barley

Post by barley »

Sounds pretty good for Bobo. Is he leaking while in the house?

for my guy, its been 3 and 1/2 months since the car accident. He is peeing in the litter box (so no expressing, yay!). But he does leek pee when he licks himself down there. As a solution, I've confined him to one of the rooms in the house that is hard wood floors which has access to the outside. So he spends a lot of time outside and basically sleeps inside at night. I put puppy training pads in his bed to absorb any pee from when he grooms. He is still not pooping properly. Nuggets just fall out when they're ready. He's on Latulose (liquid fiber) every second day.

I hope to post back in a couple of months with good news about the leaking pee. We'll keep our fingers crossed.
Getwellbobo

Post by Getwellbobo »

Im afraid its bad news this end. Bobo got very ill last week and we had to put him to sleep 2 months after his accident. I think his kidneys failed on him, he didnt eat, drink or do much and lost loads of weight. :( we are all so sad, he was such a lovely lil boy and he was only 1 years old.

I will keep my fingers crossed for your kitty x
Christine

Post by Christine »

I am so sorry for your loss. You gave him the chance the vet would not have in the beginning.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
lemon

Post by lemon »

Hi everyone,
Our cat got this injury on Friday evening, four days ago now.We don't actually know what happened to her, she came back in to the house, injured. We have gone through a similar process with our vet (being told to put her to sleep) but we asked to be referred to a vetinary neurologist. We saw her today and she was lovely and has given us some hope. Apparently Oati's tail break is the worst one she's ever seen and she is incontinent in both bowel and bladder at the moment. She hasn't pooed at all since Friday but I will try to 'help' her tonight after reading all the advice on the site!
We have her home with us just know and the neurologist told us to give her a month and see how things go with expressing her bladder, although we cannot do it at all yet! Any good tips?
Our big worry is that she isn't eating at all and has lost 0.2 kg since Friday...but hoping it is because she hasn't pooed.
Any advice would be appreciated. She is 2 1/2 years old and was very lively before Friday. Now just very mopey - totally traumatised. :(
Getwellbobo

Post by Getwellbobo »

So sorry to hear this, i have just been through it myself. Its hard work so be in for a lot of mess and stress. My babys in heaven now but i wish ypu all the best. My email is icandykins@googlemail.com Xx
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:slant: You've seen the expressing and poop-on-demand info? That's the BEST hint you can get!!