Problems with going potty...please help!

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Coach

Problems with going potty...please help!

Post by Coach »

Today is Day #4. I had thought things were hunky-dory with Coach's bladder and bowel control the first 2 days. In the ER and the first 12 hours home, he pooped and peed everytime we carried him right outside the door (yet only a few feet away from his bed). Then, he started wetting the bed a few times a day - at least I can see that there is a lot of clear urine (which I was supposed to watch for, and hard to tell when they're going outside). But cleaning HIM up isn't easy - coarse hair, etc.

His Bowel control is a little different. He pooped twice "on command". He hasn't gone in 36 hours now. His tummy is huge and bloated, and he's gassy. I was worried about him last night when I went to bed - he just looked miserable and he kept belching. I woke up to find that he'd thrown up (and was laying in it).

This morning, I moved him outside, he's laying by the door, and I've covered him with a blanket (Seattle's not freezing cold, and it's dry outside). He seems to like it - he sniffs the air, barks at the crows, and seems more alert. I'm hoping that he'll "go"!!! I thought he'd appreciate the privacy. It's been almost a half-hour. Still nothing but a huge belly.

Any advice? Pleeeeaaaaase don't tell me it's the same thing you do with a constipated baby!!!!!

My patience level - with my husband and kids - is at an all-time low. I'm clumbsy and keep stubbing my toes and dropping things, the house is getting messy...and I'm feeling guilty for not being at work this week (I haven't even told anyone what's happened or where I am). I need a shower, too. Last night I had a fabulous dream - I dreamt that we had a team of housecleaners come in and detail clean everything in the house, and I went to a "day of beauty" at the spa, and came home to a clean house, had clean hair and fingernails, and didn't smell like a dog.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Welcome to the stress of having a newly down dog. It may not help a lot right now to say it, but it does get better.

It helps to shave the area that is getting wet/soiled. You can clean the dog easier. Your vet can shave him for you or you can do it with a clippers from Wal-Mart.

The bloating and gas concern me. Here is some information on Bloat, so you'll know what to watch for.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/bloat.html

As for washing the bedding, been there done that...a lot. :wash: You can cut down on some of it by putting puppytraining pads under him, or disposable incontinent pads that you can buy in the adult diapers aisle of Wal-Mart or Walgreen's. (While you are there, get some disposable latex gloves...)

Have you seen the tips on stimulating your dog to "poop"? While you have him outdoors, if you stimulate his rectum he will probably empty for you. It's a reflex, you just have to activate it. Here are the tips. (You may get a smile out of some of them. Imagine putting an ice cube on your dog's rear, or inserting a Q-tip dipped in Vaseline, or just pinching his bottom like I do with my dog.) :roll:

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/?title=Bowel_management_in_incontinent_pets
Coach

now, scared about Bloat!

Post by Coach »

Okay, I looked at that website, which has thoroughly freaked me out about Coach being bloated (sometimes the internet is not such a gift).

His tummy is bigger than it was yesterday at this time...but I don't know what the "danger" zone would be. He was very gassy yesterday (haven't noticed it today). Since yesterday morning, I measured him for a harness, I know his exact measurement around his tummy - and I compared it with today's:

yesterday (normal appearance) = 32.5" around
today (bloated appearance) = 35" around

Is that a major difference? I'm a small person, and my waist measurement fluctuates more than 1.5" a day (then again, I'm not a dog, eating once a day, on bedrest).

Please let me know if this sounds concerning.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Well, I don't know, I'm not a vet. I believe if it was my dog, I'd get on the phone and talk to the vet and see what they say. They will usually give you some guidance over the phone. I have to be offline for a while, but will be thinking of you.
Dianne

Coach

Post by Dianne »

I can't get him to poop.
Agree with CarolC about CALLING the vet and getting phone advice, now. I do it with my vet; take in samples for lab only, and tell them I'm on a limited income and there is a limit to how much I can spend. They have cut me a price break on many things with both dogs and cats.

You are really juggling a lot with an autistic child, a tired husband (could he have apnea with his weight and tiredness?- my husband does), and now a huge downed dog.

BTW- Karkorny indicated that she will respond later today when she gets home from work. Her large bull mastif was also down and recovered. He weighed a ton, also.

Call the vet and see if they will help you. Coach could be bloated from various reasons, but you need help today.

I'm so sorry that you have so much to deal with. I wish we could take a few hours to volunteer for you.

Dianne
SandyNY

bloating

Post by SandyNY »

did he happen to pee when outside? One time porkchop didn't pee and i had to take him to the vet to get cathaterized... it does not mean he cannot regain the ability. he did. i can't say why it happend;...but if yours hasn't peed that might be part of the swelling and discomfort.
Miracle Mom only exists in Stepford. * (Stepford Wives)
put on a crazy eyes look and a non nonsense tone and have a bit of a rant at the housemates ( or the floor - that works also) Scare hubby into thinking you are on the edge ---no offense to anyone, but he thinks you are supermom and he hasn't noticed you are at the breaking point -you need to spell it out in very loud offensive language! yell at the #@$%%# wall that you stubbed your toe on for the fourth time today!
OK, so I am a >little< offensive; sorry men.
Coach

Post by Coach »

Man, you crack me up! I've got to meet you!!!

Believe me, I'm no stranger to temper tantrums. Without them, my daughter wouldn't be getting decent support from the school system, and even from the state's DDD. I am afraid, though, that if I lose my strength it will scare my hubby and he'll suggest we take the dog "in" so that I can regain my life. I don't think my husband is as attached to any animal like I am. He's been 100% supportive, but I see him taking a 1/2 step back and watching to see the decisions I make - then he'll join me on board. He also realizes that I'm the one here, all day, dealing with it.

Coach loves visitors, especially those that bring bones! But, when it's just me and him, he avoids eye contact with me. Obstinate Man!
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Wow coach your hubby sounds just like mine, the first day we brought Buster home he went outside to dink beer and work on trucks with his buddies. The 4th day I blew up and walked away let him clean and move Buster. Now he is even talking about modifying the wheelchair I borrowed.
But then again he still is real good about avoiding the dog, sometimes I think men just can't take the pain.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

There are guys here who are very dedicated to caring for their handicapped pets. Here is something written by Tom, who was caring for his elderly dog.

http://www.geocities.com/petinspiration/

Just read his titles:

1 - People Around Me Think I Am Sacrificing Too Much
2 - Caring For 1 Poor Animal Or Several Healthy?
3 - Some Say That My Pet Isn't Enjoying Life Anymore
4 - I'm Against Euthanasia But People Around Me Say My Believes Don't Apply To Animals
5 - My Vet Is Pushing Me To Euthanize
6 - I Feel Like Taking Care Of My Pet Has Turned My World Upside Down
7 - I Feel Silly Helping My Dog Pee And Poo
8 - Is It Wrong That I Have My Pet On 10 Different Medications And Suppliments?
9 - My House Is A Mess Because Of My Needy Pet
10 - Everyone Seems To Stair When I Take My Pet Out
11 - I Can't Help Worrying About When My Pet Gets Worse
12 - Feel Sorry For Those Who Think You Are Cruel

(I especially like the section titled "My House is a Mess Because of My Needy Pet")
Christine

Wow...

Post by Christine »

Great article...
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Coach

success!

Post by Coach »

I left the house for the first time in 5 days!!! I went to the office for 2 hours, and told my boss about my situation. She's not supportive of my decision to help Coach recuperate. I told her that my initial promise to Coach, to myself, and to my family, was that I would wait for 2 weeks to see if there were signs of improvement. My vet said we'd see some improvement in the first couple of weeks. She just rolled her eyes and said "think about his quality of life" and walked away. As cruel as she sounds from this email, she really is not, and is actually one of my best friends. Just not an animal person. She takes in "hard to place" disabled, abused, and drug addict recovering adolescent foster children, and sacrifices EVERYTHING - her house is a mess, and she sleeps on the couch if her rooms are all filled!

Coach pooped and peed outside last night!!! And, he did not wet the bed for the first time during the night. I got him outside this morning, and he peed outside!!!!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

YAY Coach and mom!!! :wow: :banana: :cheer: :applaud: :cheerleader:

Is that happy enough for you? :lol:

Funny, you'd think she'd understand, but it's not guaranteed. I got some "Ewww" flak from a RN when I was expressing Buddy, which surprised me a little.
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Say can anyone tell me what is going on with coach?
Coach

we're still here!

Post by Coach »

We are still kicking (well, not entirely "kicking")...but it's been a tough go. Last Thursday night, I'd realized that Coach looked so sad, I couldn't get him to wag his tail for anything! So I called my mom and told her that maybe it is time to say good-bye after all. She said "No! Don't give up on him!" and reminded me of my initial 2-week promise I made to myself, to Coach and to the family. We would do whatever it took for 2 weeks, and would reevaluate then. I've taken a week off of work, and i have a major back problem now. Sometimes I don't think I'm doing Coach any kind of service by nursing him 24/7. I cry all the time (not in front of him), and I've lost all patience with my kids and husband.

That night, my mom came to visit Coach - lo, and behold, that stump wagged so hard! So, maybe he feels guilty around me.

Very little improvement has been made. His harness should arrive tomorrow, and Cameron is trying to rig up a pully and crank system to help me get him to standing (sort-of standing). Does anyone have any suggestions for a pully system for a 135 lb, immobile dog?

He seems to have better control of his left side. The right foot may not feel "deep tissue pain" - hard to tell, I'll pinch really hard, and a few seconds into it, he'll jerk away and give me a dirty look.

He definitely has bladder and bowel control now. He'll potty immediately when he's brought outside. His only wetting accidents have been when I've given him too much water and left him in his bed all night.

Soon, I will be attempting a bath for him. I'm so fortunate, that when we built our house I had a hand-held shower head (with hot water) plumbed outside our back door. It was intended to give dogs baths, or kids to get mud off their shoes. This is the same back door that we use to take Coach potty (so clean up is a breeze). I'll be able to give him a hot shower and scrub down, then get him in the house immediately to dry off and warm up.

I need:

1. Suggestions for a crank/pully system - similar to what docks have for boats to be pulled out of the water.

2. a new back

3. if anyone is familiar with the pet support harness that we ordered - the full-body heavy-duty harness - they sell it on this site, but the creators have their own website, too.... if you've been to their site, and read the story of their inspiration dog "Bernard" (I think that's his name), there is a photo of Bernard in his harness suspended in a home-made 4-wheel contraption. I want this thing!!!! Does anyone know anyone who has one to sell or loan????

4. your hope, faith and prayers during week #2.

Thanks, everyone, I (actually Coach) would have never made it this long without your encouragement. I have treasured this past week with my big man, and I want what is best for him. I'm prepared to go either way.