Problems with going potty...please help!

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Coach wrote:He definitely has bladder and bowel control now. He'll potty immediately when he's brought outside. His only wetting accidents have been when I've given him too much water and left him in his bed all night.
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

That's how function comes back, a little bit at a time. I think he's going to surprise you. :)

I don't have any super ideas on the crank and pulley system. I've thought about different ideas for when my golden retriever is going to need it. I used to think I might make a frame from iron plumbing pipes. I've also looked at the frame of a free-standing porch swing. I don't know if something might be done with an engine hoist like mechanics use, some of them are affordable. Whatever your husband figures out, I hope you will post a picture of it. Some of the rest of us are going to need it some day!
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

So glad to get a update on coach, Here is a tip if giving him a bath ,puts to much stress on you or him.
I give buster a bath every day, because he wets on himself ( and all his bedding) pretty much every day now that he is back on the steriods. Anyway I get a hopspital tub with hot water and a dash of antibacterial soap, and wipe him down with a wash cloth turning him from side to side, then I dry him down and wrap him up in a baby blanket.
I pay special attention to his lame legs because they are colder than the rest of him.

I clean his sores and put anti bi cream on them daily.
Buster is getting depressed now, Boxers are always so happy go lucky so I understand how unhappy it makes you to see coach so sad. Hang in there my thoughts are for the greater good for both of you.
Coach

thank you

Post by Coach »

btw...the livestock sling is awesome! That's what I want!!!!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Caroline wrote:I give buster a bath every day, because he wets on himself ( and all his bedding) pretty much every day now that he is back on the steriods.
Caroline, what kind of pads are you using in his male wrap? Big as he is I can just imagine he is voiding a lot. I use Serenity Ultimate in my dog's wrap (golden retriever w/kidney problems). I get them at Wal-Mart or Walgreen's. You probably want any brand that says it's for "complete loss of control". Surely there is one that will work better for you? Have you shopped the incontinence aisle to see if you can find something better? Have you tried sticking 2 pads in the wrap?
Coach wrote:btw...the livestock sling is awesome! That's what I want!!!!
Me, too! Farmers are smart!
Coach

Buster

Post by Coach »

Caroline,
How is Buster today? Hang in there, hon!