Crank and pulley system for big dog!

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
CarolC

Crank and pulley system for big dog!

Post by CarolC »

These are for located on the back porch and work for lifting and supporting Coach, a rottweiler. In addition, there is an outdoor shower on the back porch for bathing him.
Attachments
outdoor_shower.jpg
pulley.jpg
crank_distance.jpg
crank_closeup.jpg
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Very nice!

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

One of the first things we learn in science is that the pulley decreases the weight of the object by x%, depending on the number of what, folcrums? IOW, if your line goes twice through pulley and folcrum, your lift effort is reduced.
Yes, it has been 4,000 years since my last science class :blush: But this is ingenious!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I agree--ingenious!!!! 8)
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I really like the looks of that crank. Where do you buy supplies like that? Home Depot or the sporting goods store? Are they available inland?
Dianne

Sources

Post by Dianne »

Last edited by Dianne on Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coach

Post by Coach »

Diane is right - I looked at that site, and those items are just like what we've got. I didn't go shopping, but my husband said he had to go to "four stores" to find the items, and he was gone for over 3 hours. Being as Home Depot and Lowes are our "home away from home" and close by, I don't think he found what he was looking for there. He said he got the crank at a Marine (Boat) Supply Store. Maybe the pulley came from there, too.

This rig was my Valentine's present, early! It sure beats flowers or chocolates!

It's a 1000 pound pulley - so it's really easy lifting Coach, I can crank him up one-handed. I like that the crank has the 1" increment "brakes" - so I can get him precisely to the right height, just so his feet are all flat on the floor, then I slowly release it, by the inch, so that slowly I can see how he accepts the weight on his feet.

BTW - his two hind legs are still noodle-like, but he does use the left hind leg. When he's "hanging" i have him walk around for treats I drop for him. Three legs move in great control, but the right leg kind of trips him up. He can almost support himself with his front legs (still not enough to "sit"). When I hold him in his harness, he moves all four legs in a walking motion when prompted. He does better after I've applied pressure (massage like squeezing) to each of his limbs, that provides proprioceptive reflexes.

He curls his toes under on his back legs. What does that mean? The vet just told me to be careful his toes could get hurt (sores).
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Coach wrote: He curls his toes under on his back legs. What does that mean? The vet just told me to be careful his toes could get hurt (sores).
It just means he doesn't have good control or feeling in them.

:lol: About your Valentine's present!!!