UTI symptoms?

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Coach

UTI symptoms?

Post by Coach »

You know how you read other people's posts, and hear about their problems and feel so bad for them, and want to help and pray for them....but inside you say "hey, at least I don't have to do that".

That's how I've been with hearing about UTIs. It seemed to be one relatively common problem, and I was glad I didn't have to deal with that, ALSO (for we have enough to deal with here!). However, in catching up with a dog named Buster's progress, I hear that he is on meds for a UTI, and that his owner learned about it from foul smelling urine? Is this a symptom? Because Coach's urine is very strong smelling. very. very very very. Of course, I don't know if that's what it usually smells like, because before he was paralyzed, I never had to smell it.

Can someone let me know if there is something I should be watching for, or if it's true that stinky pee is an indication?

I really hope that this little bump is one we don't have to cross over. I kind of feel like I've got as much as I can handle right now.
Dianne

Foul Smelling Urine

Post by Dianne »

It Could be a UTI. Smell could be a clue.

Other clues: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/urinary ... ction.html

You could do a clean catch and get it to the vet for a urinalysis. You can hardly transport him easily, so I would take in the clean catch. It costs me about $25 to do that.

Call and ask them if you could bring it in this afternoon.

Dianne
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

From what I read in your other message, 4 hours of sleep and all your time working and doing child care, anything would be over your limit. I'm more worried about you right now than Coach with his wonderful deep expression that understands the world.

I wanted to tell you that at least a UTI is easy to treat, you give them a pill a couple of times a day and *poof* it goes away. But bless your heart, it doesn't sound like you even have time to run a specimen to the vet.

If you can manage to take it to the vet...I collect it the easy way. I just sterilize a pyrex cake pan with boiling water and let my dog pee into it, then pour that into a clean plastic container with lid. Now, don't you wonder if I bake cakes in it later...? :wink:

You're right, it's hard to tell what it's supposed to smell like when you don't usually smell it. Sometimes a dog can have a UTI that does not smell bad, as well. But Dianne is right, it could be a UTI. It's not the end of the world. My dog got one a couple of weeks after her accident. We got her antibiotics. It went away. It was small on the scale of the other nursing duties you are doing.

I just want to tell you, sometimes a pet can be lost due to caregiver breakdown. I don't know if you have any options for resting yourself a little and not working yourself into the ground, but if you can, I hope you will. I don't always listen to my own advice, but I try to follow the guidelines they give on airplanes during an emergency. Put the oxygen mask on yourself first...you can't help your dog if you collapse. Rest for both of you...save both of you...please get some rest...

:snooze:
amyd

Post by amyd »

Hi...I don't know much about UTI's in animals, but I am an RN and know about them in people. I would look for cloudy urine. Is he getting enough water? Concentrated urine is going to smell strong of course. Check for signs of dehydration - dry nose, dry tongue, stuff like that. Catch some urine in a cup and see if it's clear or not. Cloudy - something may be up. Clear and concentrated - probably needs more water intake. But, a UA will definitely tell the tale. I vote if you have concerns you find out, especially for something as easy as catching a little pee. Good luck...we're all in this together. Amy
http://handipet.com/gallery2007/v/Brooklyn+from+Texas/
Here's Brooklyn's Link to her photos!