When does a UTI become an emergency?

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
grrl

Post by grrl »

My geriatric dog, Reegan, has several age-related health issues including DM. Last week she lost ability to walk on her own and we've been trying to figure out this new lifestyle this week, including the routine for diapers and manual expelling of the bladder etc. I understand UTI is common in dogs with DM and Friday she showed signs - smelly urine and increased desire to "go out". My vet said to just bring her in Monday with a sample. Saturday there was blood in the urine and she seemed feverish and sleepy - again the vet said just to bring her in Monday. Today, Sunday, she vomited a little but the vet said it was probably just from licking the area too much and ingesting hair (she's blowing her coat) and just to bring her in Monday. I just took her out and her urine was abundant, smelly and blood red. As soon as she got in, she went right to sleep. I am very worried. I looked up UTI on the web and it either says "no biggy, take a sample to the vet and get some antibiotics" or it says "it's an emergency and death can occur in a few days without treatment". I don't know what to do.

I should also say that I'm not crazy about my vet but I live in a very remote area and he is the only game in town.
amyd

Post by amyd »

Today's Monday - what did they say? I always thought bloody urine was more along the lines of a kidney stone or something. How is it going? Please post and let us know. Amy
http://handipet.com/gallery2007/v/Brooklyn+from+Texas/
Here's Brooklyn's Link to her photos!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Peeing "kool aid" is the main sign of a UTI in my world.
grrl

much better

Post by grrl »

She's doing MUCH better today. Even ran around the yard (that rear harness is killing my back - there's gotta be something better) and did some woofing (her very favorite activity). It's a double whammy apparently - UTI and stones. Will get the test results back Tuesday. I actually started a natural cure for her on Saturday night and I think it helped.

What do folks reccommend in terms of antibiotics for the UTI? I know there are a few prescriptions out there.

I've been using a holistic approach to her cancer and she's outlived the original prognosis (6 mo) by 2 years. I was a skeptic at first, but the results for her have been remarkable. So I think I will try the holistic approach to the stones and UTI, as well. But I would like to have the antibiotic on hand if I don't get good results. Has anyone done this? Does it work? Suggestions?
amyd

Post by amyd »

I'm glad she is doing much better - I'm sorry I don't have any advice about your questions - I don't know. But I was thinking about you guys - thanks for posting. Let us know how she's doing. Amy
http://handipet.com/gallery2007/v/Brooklyn+from+Texas/
Here's Brooklyn's Link to her photos!