Control Returning or am I incompetent?

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Shelly G

Control Returning or am I incompetent?

Post by Shelly G »

Hello. My cocker spaniel, Sally, has IVDD. She had surgery 3 1/2 years ago for a cervical rupture and had a fantastic and complete recovery. On 2/14 she had a hemilaminectomy to relieve pressure at L5-6 and the surgeon finestrated several other vertebrae. She was recovering really well for a couple of days, had full bladder control, and even took a few wobbly steps. Then, she went down hill in a hurry. They did another myelogram and further surgery on 2/21 and found she had a "freak" hematoma at the original surgery site that was putting pressure on the cord. Since the second surgery, she does not have bladder control or any use of her back legs. She did start wagging her tail a little and moving her right leg a little yesterday, which is encouraging. She still has deep pain sensation in both legs.

Here's my question: In the three days she's been home, it's been relatively easy for me to express her. She's a really good dog who will let me do anything to her. This morning was the same; very easy. Since then, though, she's had several large drinks of water and I have been unable to express her. It's almost like she's fighting me -- her stomach muscles seem really tight. Is it possible her control is returning, or am I just doing something wrong?

I'm really excited to have found this forum. The vet who did her first acupuncture treatment the day I checked her out of the hospital told me about it, and I look forward to visiting often.

Thanks very much! :D

Shelly
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Shelly,

I am not a vet so it would be best if you only use these comments to ask your vet some questions and get the correct answers from him/her. I wanted to clarify, was the hematoma at the site of the cervical surgery from 3 years ago, or the lumbar surgery she just had?

I am pretty sure it is not your technique, so the part about "are you incompetent" does not sound likely--you've managed fine so far.

If you think it is a matter of willpower on her part...this would not be my first guess but it is possible. Perhaps you could try taking her out to her favorite potty spot outside, if she has one, and see if she is "willing" to either go on her own or to let you express her there.

A rigid abdomen could be due to pain. If she is not on pain control you may need it for a while.

She could be uncomfortably constipated. This can happen from stress, medication, immobility, etc. It can make the abdomen firm and make it very hard for you to feel the bladder. A side effect of all this is that the discomfort of trying to express a really constipated dog may make the dog tense up. There are various ways to deal with constipation, I recommend lactulose syrup from the vet. Please do not try any human laxative without asking your vet first, some of them are poisonous for dogs.

Here is a long explanation for something that may not apply to your situation, but I'll offer it anyway. There are 2 kinds of incontinence. In one, the bladder is easy to express and the dog may even dribble. In the other, the dog has a very tight sphincter and does not dribble and can be difficult to express, to the point that it may require a lot of pressure and some people turn to medication to relax the sphincter. The easy-to-express bladder usually goes with a lower motor neuron problem, which is a problem in the lower back. A hard-to-express bladder (like my dog has) goes with an upper motor neuron problem (injury to the mid- or upper back).

If I understood correctly, your dog had a lower back (lumbar) problem and had surgery on the lower back recently and was easy to express. That makes sense: lumbar problem, easy to express.

One other possibility is some sort of blockage. Again this would not be at the top of my list, but we did have a dog just this week with stones. You do not want to put too much pressure on a bladder that is truly blocked. I think you might need to have the vet check her just to be safe.

Whatever may be causing it, she does need to have her bladder emptied. You may need to take her to the vet, or even the nighttime emergency vet, to see if they can express her. I hope you'll let us know how it goes. I'll be waiting to hear if you got her sorted out. Bless her heart, and you because you've been through the wringer with all this. This is more than most people have to go through, and the usual amount of stress without complications is a great plenty! If she has deep pain, can wag her tail, and is moving her foot a little, that is very encouraging. :)

:slant:
Shelly G

Post by Shelly G »

Hi Carol. Thanks so much for the reply. I realize my initial post was a little confusing. The hematoma was at the original surgery site (L 5-6). I was able to express her this morning, and she is not constipated. I have occasionally had to help her with a q-tip and some vaseline, but she's been able to go at least once (if not twice) a day. She is also on pain medication (tramadol), so I don't think it's pain. I think my technique may need some work, and I will take her to the vet for assistance if necessary. We have another acupuncture treatment on Monday and I'm really looking forward to it.

I just pray she's able to urinate on her own soon; my back is taking a beating helping her!

Thanks again so much for the wonderful reply. :)
Shelly G

Post by Shelly G »

We had a break in the snow and cold yesterday, and I did what Carol suggested and took Sally outside to see if she could urinate on her own. I took a pee pad with me so I could really tell. I put her into a squat position (she has some movement in her right leg and none in her left) and she went! I have never been so excited to see a dog urinate in my life! I expressed her a little at the end to make sure she was empty, but she did almost all of it on her own. We weren't able to repeat the feat later in the day or this morning, though. Is it unusual for bladder control to return intermittently? If not, has anyone else had experience with how long it can take for full control to come back once it starts a little? Thanks. I'm so happy to have found this forum. I'm still really anxious and exhausted all at the same time and it helps to read about others who have experienced the same thing.