cat food for firmer poops

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Kris & Janie

cat food for firmer poops

Post by Kris & Janie »

she's still having diarrhea.

i'm going to try merrick today, if janie will eat it.

our vet said to mix 1/4 tsp metamucil into her food each day... started that yesterday. mixed in some canned pumpkin with her food -- she ate it, but no results yet.

wondering if any of you have any other tips, tricks, suggestions?
Last edited by Kris & Janie on Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janie, 18, diet-controlled diabetic; recent surgery to remove anal sac adenocarcinoma left her fecal incontinent.
Visit Jane at her very own web site:
www.janesadventures.co.nr
Billieswango

Post by Billieswango »

Canned pumpkin will definitely help with constipation. most cats and dogs like it too. the other thing you can try is a high fiber diet like perscription diet w/d or r/d. eukanuba also makes a great high fiber diet called Low Residue.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

if you can get them (might have to order)

Post by Bendy Kitty »

the freeze dried raw diets result in very little stool output. When we had our incontinent boy Legume we had him on this for awhile, some was donated to me. some of the specialty pet stores carry it, but it is expensive any where you find it.

Pumkin will help firm things up, but it also bulks things up. If you are having trouble with overly soft stool, I'd use it.

I would also look at the grain free foods, they should result in lower output.

good luck!

bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

w/d always works for us.
Natasha

Probiotics

Post by Natasha »

I realize this post is pretty old (relatively speaking) but I'd like to add my $.02 in case anyone else comes along and has this problem too.

My cat had chronic diarrhea off and on for months, and we just couldn't figure out the problem. I tried different foods, I tried special antibiotics, but in the end, the only thing that has worked is probiotics. I give her a teaspoon of unsweetened organic live culture yogurt every day, with some extra probiotic mixed in. If I miss even a day, it's back to liquid poop. I also mix just a dash of psyllium husk (basically metamucil) in as well, for good measure. This has kept us diarrhea free for about 3 weeks now!

Natasha