New and confused

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
joeys mom

New and confused

Post by joeys mom »

Hi my 16 year old sweet beagle , Joey, was diagnosed with bladder cancer 2 months ago. Our biggest concern was waiting for the day he would become incontinent and unsure of how to care for him. Unexpectedly, Joey started losing control of his hind legs over the span of a week. It started with him slowing down on his walks, then not being able to climb the stairs , to wobbling after taking a few steps and now, he can not walk at all on his hind legs. We thought that it was related to the tumor in his bladder but we took him to the vet and they didn't think it was. There is no way to be sure what happened without doing an MRI and he is too old to subject him to that.
They suspect that he threw a blod clot in his spine and that blocked the arteries to his hind legs. The vet did a thorough exam of his hind legs and found that they are still responding to reflexes, which is a 'good' sign.

We bought the rear leash and that worked well for the past week. He was skeptical at first but then seemed eager to go a lil further each day. I decided to order him a wheelchair but that won't be done for anohter 4 days.

Over the span of a week, his energy level dropped and I noticed his breathing has become very shallow when he sleeps or is resting. I just don't know what to do at this point. He has so many things against him but the hardest part is that he still loves to be pet and fed. Am I being delusional? I feel so bad
that he can't do the things he used to. Sometimes he seems frustrated that he can't walk so I will life his hind legs and he'll walk around the house a bit. It's so cute but soo sad too.

I can't tell if he's suffering, maybe I am seeing what I want to see and am basing too much on the fact that he still LOVES to eat. I'm waiting for some sign to tell me it's time to let him go. Now he isn't even able to go to the bathroom on his own. Over the past 2 days, he's been constipated. He doesn't even try really. I blamed it on the painkillers and our vet said to give him some metamucil. We did this and he did manage to go number 2, but it was inside the house.

I now have doggie diapers on him. They say you'll know when it's time. But I just don't know if I will allow myself to see the signs. He has bladder cancer, He can't walk and he can't go to the bathroom. Tonight we left him alone for the first time in a week since he lost control of his hind legs. When I got home, he had dragged himself to the top of the stairs to wait for me. Is that a will to live? Am I just fooling myself?

So sad and confused.
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

I'm so sorry about what you're going through. What a difficult situation to face, but it sounds like you've made some really loving decisions for him.

I think what I hear you saying is that it is difficult for you to see his growing lack of mobility, and it makes you uncertain about his happiness and well being. I have a 1 year old cat who has had limited use of her back legs since birth. She gets around pretty well, but she definitely does not move like other cats, and she can't run and jump like the other cats. Her hip sockets did not fully form, so she often sits and sleeps in the most horrifying looking positions, with legs this way and that. I have had many people tell me that they simply couldn't bare to live with her, that they would be too sad seeing her lack of ability. There are times when I see her struggle to do something, or see her watching my other cats enviously, and I feel sadness and regret that she can't move like other cats. I see her frustration, too. However, there are also all time when I see her basking happily in the sun, or tossing catnip toys through the air with joy, or snuggled up purrring contentedly with my husband and I that I know she finds happiness in life. From what you wrote, it sounds to me like you are still seeing this in Joey, as well. Undoubtedly, he has experienced frustration and confusing at his changing world, but frustration and confusion can be adapted to. If there is still joy in his life, joy of eating, joy of spending time with you, etc, then it is my opinion that quality of life is still good. You said he is on pain killers, however. It is difficult to judge an animals pain, because their instinct is to hide it. The painkillers are a likely source of his energy drop and breathing changes, if he still on them. If you are uncertain about pain level, I would discuss that with your vet. That he is sleeping and eating normally is a good sign, though.

Good luck. I wish all the best for you and Joey!

Natasha
joeys mom

Joey's story

Post by joeys mom »

Thank you for your understanding. We loved him so dearly but his time came yesterday. I just wanted to share Joey's story. Here it is:

Two weeks ago yesterday, Joey started losing control of his hind legs. He'd walk , then wobble and fall over. I had read so many other posts from others that took this as a sign that it was time for their dog to go. When it happened, I cried at the possiblity. We took him to the vet and god blesso ur vet, he never even mentioned putting Joey down as an option. He suspected that Joey through a blood clot to his spine, blocking the arteries for him to walk. However he said it was possible that the clot could work itself out in 14 days. That gave us hope and motiviation. Joey didn't let it stop him. He would still drag himself using his front legs to the kitchen everytime I went to cook him his breakfast or lunch. I would carry him up and down the stairs and we'd take him out to do his business using a rear hind leash we found at Petsmart. For a week, this routine seemed to work out. We put our order to K-9 carts.com for a doggie wheelchair to see if it would help Joey get around the house at least since he seemed so eager to move around still. Unfortunately it takes 6 days to custom build.

Then came the 2nd week. Joey also started to develop respiratory problems. He would wake in the middle of the night panting with deep rapid breaths and we'd have to try to comfort him back to sleep. In addition to this, he became incontinent so we moved camp to our living room since it was on the 2nd floor. So for 6 nights, we stayed up taking shifts comforting Joey back to sleep and changing diapers every other hour. We work at the same company so we were able to work from home to be with him in his new condition.

By the time the 2nd Tuesday rolled around, we were exhausted with exhaustion and guilt. Exhaustion of sleeping 2 hours a night and guilt that maybe we were making Joey suffer. We spoke to the vet and he suggested that we increase Joey's painkillers. He really wanted us to wait out the 14 days to see if the clot would work itself out. We knew the chances were slim but there was always that hope. So we decided to wait until at least Wed to see how he did with the wheelchair. My husband drove 2 hours each way to pick it up so we wouldnt have to wait for shipping. We were so excited to strap Joey in and at first he was skeptical but the next thing we knew, there was Joey roaing the kitchen looking for food again. I hadn't seen him do that in 2 weeks and I'd never felt so much happiness . Something as simple as seeing him in the kitchen. Our hopes soared again.

Then Thursday came. It took a turn for the worse. Joey's energy level decreased. We put him in his wheelchair and he just didn't seem to want to move. He would make a beeline for his bed so we'd take him out and let him rest. His breathing was becoming more fast paced on and off. Our fears settled in. We couldnt deny it anymore. We had come to the end of our plan which was to wait the 14 days, and see if the wheelchair would work. But it was obvious our baby was tired.

I spoke to my vet that evening and we agreed there was nothing more we could do for him and we didn't want to see him suffer anymore. The vet asked "Is he still eating?" I don't know if it's a beagle trait or a Joey trait but if it was one thing through this ordeal, he LOVED to eat still. I guess in a way I clung onto taht and told myself Hey as long as he's eating...But then we realized. Joey will always love to eat. Here he was Friday morning. He couldn't even sit up , something was hurting when we tried to sit him up. He would go in and out of his shallow breaths. He couldn't go to the bathroom on his own. My husband had to express him to defecate. He was just laid out with his mom and dad laying next to him feeding him water from a spoon bc he coulnd't lift his head. I could see it in his eyes. He was tired. But when I went to the ktichen, his eyes still perked up.

That last day with Joey, we gave him a big mac, some quarter pounder w cheese, french fries, pastries, all the goodies and carbs he hadn't had.

At 4:45 came the call from the vet. It was time. I won't go into detail other than to say that was the most horrible experience of my life. I had read so many posts about others expreience and they all say the same. But nothing prepares you for that. I miss him so much. My body hurts , my heart aches, I feel so empty. He was my companion and best friend for 15 years. This year would have been 16. I'm 33 so that is half of my life. I don't know how to live without him. I woke up this morning at the exact same time I had since his diagnosis to give him his meds and cook for him. We had a ritual. Now it's gone. He's gone. I would give anything to touch his soft fur, rub his little paws and smell his stinky breath again. Im so sad, and the pain is so excruciating. I know there's nothing to heal it but time. But for now, I don't know how to cope with this loss. It is so enormous. He was the best friend ever and I will always always miss him.

Thanks for everyones support on this message board. It helped us alot and I wish you all the luck and bless everyone for fighting for your best friend. I love you Joey.

Joey's Mom