Playpen sheets

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
CarolC

Playpen sheets

Post by CarolC »

I have 3 playpens in this house and 2 have the 1/2" thick mattress and I would like some sheets or quilted covers for them. Does anyone know where to get them?

1) I got the Eddie Bauer quilted covers at Target and the elastic is so tight it rolled the mattress. I had to clip the elastic to ease it, and it was serged on, so eventually I will probably have to put binding on the back, at which point I will wish I had just made my own.

2) I got playard sheets at Wal-Mart, same problem. TIGHT elastic, but fortunately it was in a casing and I was able to open it and remove it and restitch the casing. I could have made my own from a thrift shop sheet cheaper and ended up with the same thing.

3) I'd be delighted if I could find cheap white bathsheets at least 38" wide to stitch up the sides and make kind of an envelope for the mattress, but the ones at Wal-Mart are 32" wide. I've seen wider ones online.

4) This should be easier. What do moms do for playpen sheets???

:help:

Re: Playpen sheets

Post by Christine »

Doing this on the run so if I am missing the point, just ignore. How about stitching two cheapies from the thrift shop together, cutting off the excess to make the envelope? You could get another day or so, by flipping to the clean side before taking off and washing.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Thanks, that's what I've got for the one Katie sleeps in at night. It's a cute fabric, white with merry-go-round ponies in bright colors. I'd kind of like something thicker and more absorbent (like quilted or terrycloth), easy to get on, and you have to be able to bleach it. I found some Carters today, the elastic doesn't look too tight, but I don't really like the print and it says non-chlorine bleach. I may take them back.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

You can put either on top or underneath the crib pads. They are rubberized and covered in flannel. Andy used a LOT of them as a baby.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Well, I messed up bigtime. In 2009 I found a bunch of Cozy Kids quilted playard sheets on eBay for $7.00 that were perfect and I stocked up. I wish I knew how many I bought back then, but the eBay history only goes back to 2012. If I knew how many I bought, I'd know how many we were going through a year. Anyway, we've been going through them faster than expected.

:ebay:

I've had to toss some that were torn (she sometimes "digs" when curling up to sleep) and a week ago I tossed out 3, thinking, "Oh well, we've got plenty." I just looked in the closet and we only have 11 unopened ones left. Now I'm kicking myself because I'm sure I could have mended the 3 I threw out, I've done it before.

I just looked on eBay and they don't have any. What they do have is running in the $18 range, forget that! I found a couple of sheets that were lower and one has 3 bids and one has 6 bids, so scratch that. I could sew some if necessary, but I'd rather not have to.

If anyone sees any quilted playard sheets for a decent price (like $10 or less?), please let me know. I will be mending the ones I have left till they can't be mended anymore...and I think she knows the difference between a fresh new sheet and one that's been washed a million times. *sigh* :(
Playard_sheets1.JPG
Playard_sheets2.JPG
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Is that a sheet? It looks more like a mattress pad?
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Yes, you're right. It just calls it a "sheet" on the package. In fact, I use it as a sheet, because I put one of those fleecy waterproof crib pads under it between the sheet and the mattress. Whatever they are, I'm afraid I'm going to run out. I'm really big on finding a bargain and stocking up. I can't remember, but I think when I found them on eBay, I bought all the white ones they had. They also came in blue and pink. So at least I don't have to kick myself for not taking advantage of the opportunity when I found them. But still. :(
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Ah, OK. I like to find crib mattress pads at church yard sales and the like, and they're a terrific size. Do they have to be that same size?
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Well...if they're not I'd probably have to cut them to size. It needs to be a pretty good fit because she does turn around, etc. and the sheet will come off at the corners if it isn't kind of snug on the mattress. Yeah, a mattress pad would be ideal as far as fabric. :)
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

OK, gotcha. I wasn't sure if you used them on a mattress or just as bedding, like I do. I'll probably be a W-M Tues or Wed and will check then. I also have some new ones of some size at home; I'll check when I dig them up.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Thank you!!!!! I'll be waiting to hear. :D

:thankyou:

I can keep searching eBay, too. It isn't an emergency...yet!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I didn't permanently forget about this. :oops: I looked last week when I was there, but the sizes in the baby dept at WM were very sorely limited. Did you look at Amazon?
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Yes, thanks! I will keep checking. We have some to last a while, it's not something I need to find right away, but you know how sometimes it's better to start looking early before you run out. :D
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I sent the link to some at Ammy, but all I found of that size were rigged for thicker mattresses. You're wise to look ahead, because they're obviously gonna be hard to find.
CarolC

Playpen sheets sewing project

Post by CarolC »

CarolC wrote: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:55 am In 2009 I found a bunch of Cozy Kids quilted playard sheets on eBay for $7.00 that were perfect and I stocked up. I wish I knew how many I bought back then, but the eBay history only goes back to 2012. If I knew how many I bought, I'd know how many we were going through a year. Anyway, we've been going through them faster than expected.

Playard_sheets1.JPG
Playard_sheets2.JPG
It is now 5 years since I wrote that, and I have looked everywhere constantly, including eBay a zillion times, and have not found any more of these or any acceptable substitutes. I'm going to sew them.
:sew:
The first problem was quilted cloth. Most of what's available is single-faced with net on the back (as I complained about regarding the pillow covers). The double-faced kind is over $8/yd. I kept thinking I would find some old fashioned mattress pads, the all cotton kind with elastic straps holding the corners, and I would repurpose them for playpen sheets, but they have not turned up and I practically live at the thrift shop. :roll:

A couple of days ago I found a queen size white commercially made machine stitched quilt with what looked like axle grease on it at the Goodwill Clearance Center where they sell stuff that won't sell in the stores. It was $1.99 and I figured I could cut around the stain. I cut it up and got 6 tops out of that. It is channel quilted, not diamond quilted, but I think she will like it.

Then today I was back at Goodwill Clearance and they had what is either a king quilt or a bedspread, diamond quilted with cloth front and back. I haven't washed it yet but I'm guessing maybe another 9 tops from that.

The next problem was the back. I didn't want to buy yard goods even at Walmart because even on sale it would be a lot. I was hoping to find some stained sheets so I won't feel bad if some of it goes to the landfill, but so far all the sheets in the thrift store have been nice. Today I found a twin sheet where they had written the person's name on it in more than one place in permanent marker and I decided that would work, and I got it. Will post pics of the Cozy Kids back and the material I got.

Cozy_Kids_back.JPG
sheet_back_corner.JPG
tops_ready_to_sew.JPG
diamond_quilted_spread.JPG