Dolly

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Christine

Re: Dolly

Post by Christine »

I have signs on my back door and in front of my garage to deliverymen to always put packages on the front porch and I still have a few who totally ignore that request. Makes me furious because, as happened to you, we would not see them and in bad weather, they can be damaged.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

As if to prove your point, the heavens opened up last night and it poured for hours. The dog-swallowing cracks in our back yard are finally closed again.

In defense of the Amazon driver, I know she meant well and I appreciate that. But the drivers should definitely read your signs if you have put signs up.

The pillow covers are a perfect fit in width, any smaller and it would strain the zipper to put them on. They are maybe 2" too long in length and it doesn't matter.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

May have discovered a problem with the bed. Dolly was lying on it and I included a blanket for her to go under if she got cold. In the process of burrowing under the blanket she got off the bed and now she is burrowed in her blanket lying on the rug next to the bed. The new bed is about the same dimensions as the old one, but there isn't much bolster around it to keep her and her blanket in.
Christine

Post by Christine »

I just saw something yesterday about how you can take a pool noodle or two and put in under the "sheet" to create a bumper. This was for parents with children transitioning to a "big kid" bed from a crib. Just a thought...
?/1999 - 10/25/08
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Great idea, Christine!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Yes, that is interesting. This morning I thought since her bed is in the corner of the kitchen down here by the table, I would just be sure the blanket is in the back corner so when she goes to burrow under, she is nosing toward the corner.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

In fact, I might try that for Baby Boy's bed, if I can find a noodle. I have some pieces of noodles that a client found in a purse she bought that might help.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Pool noodles in a purse? Is that the modern version of stuffing it with newspaper? :lol: Why does he need a bolster? What about some left over pipe insulation?

Last night I came home and the blanket was scrunched in the corner and Dolly was lying on the floor between the bed and the baseboard. When she tried to push into her blanket, the bed slipped on the tile because of the pillow protector and moved away from the wall. I almost gave up on that bed.

This morning I put a bathmat in the corner and the bed on top of that. The bathmat has a rubber back so it doesn't slip. She's in the bed now but she's not using the blanket yet.

I'm wondering about just getting some more bathmats and letting those be her daytime bed with a blanket on top. They're thick, soft, warm, washable, and I can get lots of them. It would be the least amount of climbing for her when getting into bed, because now with the Midwest bed plus the bathmat, she is climbing a little more to get in. The bed does not curl up when she climbs over the side, it is rigid, and I don't know if a bathmat alone might curl on the edge if she drags over it with a denim diaper.

I saw some beds online that have a bolster on only 2 sides, which would be great, but they were on the wrong side for this kitchen corner.
bathmat+bed.JPG
Christine

Post by Christine »

Bless her heart...she is so adorable and no idea how much her mom loves her!

P.S. Guess what other picture was a tiny pic...my signature picture in my emails and looks like Yahoo does not support pictures in their emails anymore. They look naked!!
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Oh, no, your little smiling grandma pic? Boo to Yahoo!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

CarolC wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:01 am Pool noodles in a purse? Is that the modern version of stuffing it with newspaper? Apparently so.:lol: Why does he need a bolster? He doesn't really, but I thought he might like one.What about some left over pipe insulation? I keep forgetting which color I'm picking, so colors may change. Pipe insulation is a possibility, too.

Last night I came home and the blanket was scrunched in the corner and Dolly was lying on the floor between the bed and the baseboard. When she tried to push into her blanket, the bed slipped on the tile because of the pillow protector and moved away from the wall. I almost gave up on that bed.

This morning I put a bathmat in the corner and the bed on top of that. The bathmat has a rubber back so it doesn't slip. She's in the bed now but she's not using the blanket yet.

I'm wondering about just getting some more bathmats and letting those be her daytime bed with a blanket on top. They're thick, soft, warm, washable, and I can get lots of them. It would be the least amount of climbing for her when getting into bed, because now with the Midwest bed plus the bathmat, she is climbing a little more to get in. The bed does not curl up when she climbs over the side, it is rigid, and I don't know if a bathmat alone might curl on the edge if she drags over it with a denim diaper.It might curl, but it's worth a shot.

I saw some beds online that have a bolster on only 2 sides, which would be great, but they were on the wrong side for this kitchen corner.

bathmat+bed.JPG
Oh, the engineering we do for our handicappers!!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

critters wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:32 am Oh, the engineering we do for our handicappers!!
Ain't that the truth! :lol:
Christine

Post by Christine »

Reminds me of the nighttime setup I used to do for Bailey so she would not roam and get stuck under things. I'd do it again in a heartbeat...we all would.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Bedtime for Bailey

Post by CarolC »

Oh, this is just one pillowcase change and a fresh blanket, which I do in the evening after she's in her playpen so we are ready the next morning. You did much more for Bailey's bedtime. :wub: :wub: And by the way, I never said how much I liked those lightweight wicker panels you used instead of an x-pen. Worked just as well and created a much warmer atmosphere than metal.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11828&p=60735&#p60735
Christine wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:45 am what is bending down to pick her up going to do to your neck and back?
Turned out I was having to "disable" the ramp because when she was at the back door asking to come in from the yard, I would open it and she would come bouncing in and then go right up the ramp into the kitchen before I could catch her. :lol: So I tried training myself to pick up the ramp and stand it against the wall before opening the door, and that worked but I did start to think picking up this ramp isn't going to be good for the long term, it's a little heavy. I tried putting something (a box) on the bottom of the ramp to block it, but I was afraid I'd forget and trip over it. Then I realized if you simply tip it on its side it stays, so now I'm doing that, she bounces to the door into the kitchen and gets her boost up and we're both good.
CarolC

Doggy bag

Post by CarolC »

When I empty a dog food or cat food bag into plastic containers, I slice open the bag and let Dolly lick it. Kind of like letting your child lick the frosting bowl when you bake a cake. Tonight I put the bag in her playpen and came back and saw this. :D

Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge