Dolly

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
CarolC

Re: Dolly

Post by CarolC »

She was bouncing for her breakfast this morning. I still gave her another 1/4 tab Robaxin and am letting her continue to rest. I don't want the soreness half gone and then she overdoes it and it comes back. She wouldn't be able to go outside today anyway, it's drizzling.

I'm not sure what kind of scooper you got that works for a walk. I have a fantastic backyard scooper I got years ago for Merlin and I have been known to use it in the house on occasion. :blush: It is this one, except it is all yellow on the handle. Got it around early 2003. So lightweight, I have never regretted what I spent on it, think it was about $24 or $27 at Petsmart at the time, but worth it.

I would absolutely wipe/pre-rinse if I still had a dishwasher, I don't blame you. I don't use TP for pickups, but that would work and be flushable. I mostly use dollar-a-box kleenex and walk out out to the trash, which is no problem.

She has been so good about letting me change her bed. Again, reinvinting the wheel every time. Her crate mattress has a fleece underpad and quilted sheet, and I don't want to be changing that 3x/day because it is a fitted sheet and would be a lot of commotion getting her to move off it it, pulling it out, changing it. So instead I lay a washable underpad on top. She lets me pull that out and replace that. One time when she had a sore neck for days I got smart and put several pads in so I could just pull out the top one each time. It's putting them in that is the commotion, more than pulling one out. It was kind of a Princess and the Pea bed, and pulling one out was like the old trick of pulling a tablecloth out from under the china. Well, maybe not quite :wink: but you get the picture. She actually moves off of it for me, she has a helpful spirit.
:angel:

scooper.PNG
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Yeah, I'd guess she was better if she were bouncing, too! :wub:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

So, she's not a size 2 either. I got Parent's Choice this time and the tabs can be repositioned. They have a fancy inner elastic gusset to fit the diaper closer to the body. The smallest you can get the waist is about 14" and she's a 13". Fortunately they were just $4 and I left out the one I tried and taped the package to donate.

We have had a trying few days. She was off her meds for her neck Sunday morning and seemed OK. Monday she seemed back to normal. Then she went to the groomer Tuesday at noon and seemed OK. Then Wednesday her neck started bothering her again. This time I remembered the loading dose, but it still took all day and she couldn't lie down. It does not seem to bother her that she can't lie down, she just sits up all day long, but that has to be tiring, it just has to be. It tires me out just watching her. Even with her Robaxin and Tramadol, she still wasn't lying down. Thursday again all day, wasn't lying down. Friday I finally got out the last quarter tab diazepam and gave it to her and she finally laid down toward evening. She is still resting today because I don't want to risk a relapse.

Then last night, dummy here left the central air on a/c instead of heat. I checked it at bedtime and it was at 76 and I thought it was on heat so I went to bed. Woke up this morning and the house was 69, and I think being cold contributes to her neck spasm, I'm an idiot. But she is lying down, and it's warming up, I just wonder if that's going to extend her recovery time.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Awww...why do we feel more guilty when it comes to our pets comfort than anything else? Its those sweet, trusting eyes looking through out souls! Thinking about her during the times she cannot lie down...could you make a sort of beehive configuration with an opening for her to walk up to and rest her head on the top and sort of snuggle in to?
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Not quite sure what a beehive configuration would look like. The first or second time she got this, I made her a towel roll that she rested her chin on, but when I made one this time she didn't use it. I may not have folded it right.
Christine

Post by Christine »

I know how they like to burrow and I thought maybe you could "pre-bunch her blankie into a mound (sort of like a beehive) with a front opening and the top at her resting chin height. Does that make sense?
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Oh, I get it, I see what you mean. She kind of makes her own blanket tents and sculptures when she wants to, she's good at it. She's doing a lot better now and mainly I'm just trying not to let her overdo it. She was outside twice today. She needs a dental scheduled, and I hope that doesn't bollix up her neck again, but hopefully not with all the anaesthesia to keep her relaxed.

Dolly says :thankyou:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Dolly got her dental yesterday. She had some tartar that the vet said was going to start bothering her pretty soon if it wasn't scaled. Amazingly, no extractions, just a cleaning. She's got really good teeth compared to most dogs.

They say no food after 10 PM the night before a dental. When we got there in the morning, I told them she hadn't eaten since 10 PM, but she is incontinent and if she doodles in her kennel she may pick up after herself (in which case her tummy wouldn't be empty for anaesthesia). The tech understood and said she'd check on her frequently.

Later, the gal who checked her out said they had put her in the front kennel near the desk and she was bouncing up and down in her kennel like she does when she's excited and happy (it's really cute). Sounds like she entertained everyone while she was there.

She has a tickle in her throat now from the anaesthesia tube and keeps coughing.
Christine

Post by Christine »

awww...glad the dental ended up being easy for both of you! :wub:
?/1999 - 10/25/08
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Glad she's OK. Meez is getting his teeth done tomorrow.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

That'll be nice when it's done! I think this is as stressful for pet parents as pets! :mrgreen:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I detest that he had to stay the night before, and he probably didn't like it either!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I wonder why they do that. Don't they trust you to fast him after 10 PM? Hope they don't charge boarding.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Oh, but they did...$45. :x And they added in $200 worth of crap I didn't want and wouldn't have allowed. :o :x
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

That's just not right!! :x Guess they're not afraid of the truth coming out in online reviews...