Dolly

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
CarolC

Re: Dolly

Post by CarolC »

Dolly went for a dental today. She has the best teeth and they never have to do very much. They said she is in the very beginning of kidney disease. She'll be 15 in October. They gave her fluids with the dental to help her kidneys.

I had dropped her off in her washable Pooch Pads diaper. I like that one for vet trips and the groomer because it has a small tail hole and trim fit. When I went to pick her up, they handed it to me in a ziploc. The tech said it had got wet and they'd put a disposable on her. The disposable looked like a good fit and I was elated, thinking how times have changed. Now the vet has diapers for dogs! She said they'd been donated. Donated or not, I was thrilled.

On the drive home Dolly was in her carrier behind me where I could only see her if I turned around, like at a stop light. She was barking, then barking and sounding really upset, and I didn't know what was wrong. Was it the anaesthesia? Was she having neck pain? I kept driving to get us home as quickly as possible because we were already on the expressway, but she quieted down before we got there.

When I got home I found out what it was. She had apparently gotten upset with the disposable diaper and somehow managed to climb or wiggle or tug her way out of it. There was the diaper in the kennel, with velcro still fastened, and there was Dolly, calm again. No idea what she objected to so strenuously. That couldn't have been good for her neck, tugging at it inside a small kennel.

I don't think she'll be having any more dentals because of her kidneys and anaesthesia, but if she does, I'll take her with her normal denim and a Poise, and I'll take an extra along to give them as well.

I was so happy at the progress that they had diapers to offer a little disabled dog. I'm not going to tell them she had a fit about it. She climbed out of the disposables when I tried some for her too, but without fussing. Little Houdini. I'm guessing this time she was frustrated trying to get out of it in the confines of the crate. From her point of view, I don't blame her.
Christine

Post by Christine »

The first thought that came to mind was that as nice as that diaper was, YOU did not put it on her. She is so used to your loving touch and routine and this just wasn't RIGHT, so she handled it. :wub: That what you get for being such a good mom!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:mrgreen: She didn't like it, and that was final!!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Christine wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:28 am The first thought that came to mind was that as nice as that diaper was, YOU did not put it on her. She is so used to your loving touch and routine and this just wasn't RIGHT, so she handled it. :wub:
Could be! I don't know what she couldn't stand about the disposable, but we do have a special routine. Silly stuff you develop over time. When I put her diaper on her tail, then she needs to let me slip the rest of it under her, so I say "Upper doop". Don't ask me what that means, but she knows to raise her little bottom and I put it under. Then when it's time to fasten the velcro around her waist, I say, "Hold your breath", which is a joke we started years ago when we "put on her jeans". And finally, after it's on, she gets a hand hug or a waist pat because she's such a good helper, and she's happy. :D

More diaper drama yesterday, having nothing to do with Dolly. When I take her diaper off, I toss it on the laundry pile, which is a stack of folded pet linens, waiting till there's enough for a load. As soon as I can, I take out the Poise pad and toss it, so only the denim diaper is waiting to be washed. Yesterday when I took the load out of the dryer, there was white stuff in the lint screen. I had obviously forgotten and washed a Poise pad! Oh, no! The washer drain line was already plugged up, I bet I made it 10x worse. Wish I could say it's the first time I've done that, but it's not. :blush:

So now I'm going to have to call the plumber, and whatdya bet he knows what Poise fibers in a drain line look like. He'll think it was my pad unless he's seen Dolly! I bet he gets this a lot with little old ladies who forget to remove the pad before washing. Or maybe not, because a full size Poise is big, but I cut Dolly's pads into thirds so they're easier to miss. :roll: I'll never forget Bobbie joking about how she felt buying Poise pads for her dog and people seeing them in her cart at the store. :lol:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I had a human client who hid her diaper in her pants, then I picked up the pants and washed them. The diaper exploded, and I'm sure her grandson had to have the plumbing and the washer dumped out when he inherited the house. She didn't live but a few weeks after that, but the plumbing wasn't right from then on. :oops:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I don't feel so bad! :lol: :hysterical: :haha: