Dolly

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Dolly

Post by critters »

:wow: I never think of them anymore. Ammy takes such a huge bite out of a sale I'm not surprised anybody else is cheaper. Good find!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Ohmygosh!
I love eBay! Thank you for finding that!
:ebay:
I tried the Saran Wrap, didn't even remotely work, that stuff does not stick to itself as well as I thought. I guess it only sticks to itself when you're trying to put it on a casserole. :lol:
On the grass, I'll have to observe the front yard and see if it dries any quicker. Didn't think about that. There's a 6' chainlink fence so the air circulation is pretty good. I've got about 8' of fence that still needs to be cleaned but other than that it is weed free, grass free, and vine free, should be a good breeze. Beats me. It faces south?
:thinking:
I really-really-really appreciate the interest and the help!
You guys are the greatest!
Dolly says :thankyou:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dog-Diaper-Fema ... 2419426104?

Bingo! This is the same thing in a single for $11.99 + $3.99 shipping, the only difference is the color. I'm going to ask the seller if only the crotch is waterproof or the whole thing. The grass gets everywhere, seat, sides, the whole thing needs to be waterproof. Will report back. :D
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Try Glad Press 'n' Seal. The stuff's EVILLY sticky, but it doesn't leave a sticky residue.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

OK, I'll see if they carry it here. :D

I got an out-of-office reply on the diaper question on eBay, so I hope they'll reply tomorrow.

I want to report on the wet-yard-disabled-dog problem. Trying science as suggested.

This morning I checked the front yard and the back yard. Aha, Critters! :smart: The front yard was dry. The back yard was not. At 11:30 AM, the back yard was still wet. It is not an issue of shade, or shade moving around at different times, even the part in full sun was wet. I think it is partly circulation.

Then I looked at the grass and need to correct what I said. The front yard is 95% Bermuda and 5% something I have forgotten the name of right now, but it is like clover. The back yard is maybe 30% bermuda and 60% winter rye and 10% miscellaneous herbaceous plants. Winter rye is opportunistic and will fill in where other grass is thin. The winter rye and the bermuda look about the same when mowed, mainly just a color difference, and they are intermixed in the back yard. I have been having to mow the back yard every week and the front every 2 weeks because of the winter rye which grows faster, and I think that is the problem. I am suspecting this is not dew (condensation), it is transpiration from the winter rye. For some reason it just processes more water through the blades (?) than the bermuda in the front yard or St. Augustine in our old yard. If it was solid bermuda, I'm thinking we might be OK. We're working on that...

When we used to own this house (that we bought back after 9 years) I do not remember this problem. But I know the guy who had it did not always keep up with the mowing. He especially let the back yard go. When we bought it back in May of 2016, I hired someone to do the first couple of mowings, didn't think I was going to have an easy time of it with my electric mower. Since then I have mowed regularly and filled holes and weeded and jerked down catbriar (it was a jungle) etc, and it looks like a yard again. I remember we used to get winter rye in parts of the yard, but I don't think it was blended into the bermuda everywhere like it is now.

I got a bag of Scott's at Wal-Mart that I am going to put on like I used to do. I doubt it got any weed-and-feed the past 10 years, and hopefully that will give the turf grass an edge. We'll see if this is better next year, Rome wasn't built in a day. Who would think lawn quality would be a factor for a disabled dog? I would not have thought it was, unless you're talking burs or mud.

Any further ideas welcome. :D
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

My yard, too, is a mishmash of vegetation because the yard is so old--about 50 YO. My back grows fastest followed by 1/2 of the front. The other 1/2 of front I cut 1/2 as often as the rest; several people have said that side is mostly Zoysia (sp?) grass. It's slow-growing but VERY dense when it wants to be.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

My dad plugged Zoysia into the front lawn of the house I grew up in and it filled in and was beee-autiful. I had plugged St. Augustine into the front yard here, two rounds of plugs actually, and it was doing really well filling in by the time we moved, but it looks like it is all gone now. I am probably not going to do it again, as you need to raise the height of the mower to mow the St. Augustine versus the bermuda. This house was built in 1957 so the yard must be about 60 now. :D
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Around here, Zoysia goes as brown as a ginger cake in the winter. It's only barely sprigged out, but I've mowed the rest and need to mow again!! :shock: Not fond of the stuff, although I don't mind not mowing it much!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

PS--Kentucky 31 is the grass custom developed for here. Maybe zoysia was designed for y'all?
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Wal-Mart bag. Hole for her leg, hole for her tail, tied around her waist. Don't think I'll do the tail hole next time, there was plenty of room in the bag for her tail to be comfortable and stay dry. She went out and bounced around the yard and came back in, bag held up to the abrasion, diaper was dry. Worked pretty well! :D
WalMart_bag_diaper_cover.PNG
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

She's mighty cute!! :wub:
Christine

Post by Christine »

She is just adorable! Aren't you just the "Handicapped Pets Heloise"!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
sparkle_cats

Post by sparkle_cats »

Beautiful story and pups. Very inspiring - they have a great mom. :) xo
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Awww...thanks ev-wy-body! :D
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

critters wrote:Try Glad Press 'n' Seal. The stuff's EVILLY sticky, but it doesn't leave a sticky residue.
Finally! Found it at Target. They do not carry it at the grocery store, Wal-Mart, or any dollar store here. Now I just need a rainy day, not sure when that will be, stay tuned........! :D