Dolly

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Need tougher diapers

Post by critters »

Bobbie wrote: Speaking of which, another idea would be to paint some rubber coating on the waterproof side of the diapers. This might mess with washing, though.
Oh yeah! Good idea! Tammy & Teddy's usually uses stuff, I THINK called Plasti Dip, on their shoes, and it washes fine. In fact, it seals the dye in their shoes and keeps it from running. I have a case of the stuff downstairs, and I'll have to see what it's called. It comes in colors or clear. I special ordered clear from Lowe's and had it delivered to the store for no shipping.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Thanks SO much for the replies and ideas. I line dry them so having a plastic coat would be no problem and it might keep her dryer when I let her out in the wet grass. If she comes in really wet I just put her in a dry diaper. Maybe it would improve my laundry problem, too. It reminds me of having a kid in Little League always sliding in home. Only today's Little League uniforms are polyester so they come clean!
Christine

Post by Christine »

Well, Carol...you know the old saying "No good deed goes unpunished." Now, we need to see recent pictures of little Dolly modeling those new diapers! I can't get the image of her bouncing around on her tiny butt to get around out of my head. I know she is adorable!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Here you go, these are taken today. Also, I saw Plasti-Dip in Lowe's next to spray paint yesterday. :)
diaper 005sm.JPG
diaper 003sm.JPG
diaper 002sm.JPG
Christine

Post by Christine »

What a happy girl! Thanks for the pix!
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Dolly had surgery June 1, she's doing much better

Post by CarolC »

I am not good at telling a story the short way but I'll try.

Dolly developed a bare spot on her spine near her tail, where her diaper waistband is. I took her to the vet thinking it was 1) hot spot 2) allergies or 3) ringworm. He shaved it and said it was an abscess, and drained it and said come back tomorrow. Next day he drained it again and syringed peroxide into it and said he got fur out, which meant fur was growing inside it and it would keep getting infected so it needed to be removed, he put her on antibiotics, and we scheduled surgery for June 1. After shaving the spot, the dimple she has in her spine was very obvious, and he said he thought it was spina bifida.

Overnight I thought how close the abscess was to her spine, and if it was spina bifida, how did we know the nerves were arranged in the usual places, and unfortunately the abscess was on the side where she still had her leg (it couldn't have been on the side she was missing a leg), so it would be safer to get an MRI or something before trying any surgery. I called the vet and he offered to put some dye in the abscess and do an xray to see if the abscess communicated with the spinal cord, but by then I was too scared so we got a referral to the specialty hospital and the surgeon who did her hip surgery last year. He ended up doing surgery and it was a Grade 3 dermoid sinus, unusual because 99% of them are in Rhodesian Ridgebacks, only a few in other breeds such as lhasa apsos, but not in chihuahuas. Dermoid sinus is a congenital neural tube defect, the spinal cord did not fully form, and he thinks other nerves coming off the spine at the cauda equina may not be fully formed, which would account for the incontinence and partial paralysis. Grade 3 means the dermoid sinus communicates with the spinal cord itself. Infection in a Grade 3 dermoid sinus can cause infection of the spine and can be fatal. When I looked up information about it, the dermoid sinus is unrelated to the indentation in her back, I did not see any other dogs that had an indentation, and it can occur anywhere along the back or neck.

This changes Dolly's story, we do not know what happened to her. When she came to me from the Best Friends foster, it was assumed she was injured (maybe shut in a door) and dumped by the breeder. She was found on a sidewalk in California at 8 weeks old, paralyzed with her legs scraped up. She later lost one leg to infection. The BF vet told the foster the dimple was from an old injury, and the foster (Cathy) asked several times if I ever had it checked, but I never did, I guess we were focussing on her hip and otherwise she was doing great. (When she came here, she needed surgery for a broken hip, and she went to rehab and learned to use her leg to scratch her neck so fast her foot is a blur, and she can chase the cats around the house, and even run in the yard if she wants.)

This is the third major surgery she has had to have in her short life, but she has been absolutely the best dog possible through it all. Right now she still confined to her playpens (upstairs, downstairs, and porch) while she heals. Her pain level has finally come down some. I have seen her wag her tail. She eats, takes her meds in "meatballs" and rests. She had her recheck yesterday and they said she is doing very well. After surgery last week I told the surgeon our regular vet had suggested it was spina bifida, and he said he didn't think it was quite, but he referred to rachischisis, which seems to be a broader term.

I'll just be glad when she can wear her diaper and chase the cats again. That may be a while, the diaper waist is so close to the incision, even when it heals it may bother her. Her foster, Cathy, suggested getting a disposable diaper and cutting a notch out at the back waist, it sounds good.
Dolly's back showing the red spot she was licking, and next to it the indentation in her spine, which is deeper than it looks in the photo
Dolly's back showing the red spot she was licking, and next to it the indentation in her spine, which is deeper than it looks in the photo
Dolly the second day after surgery, she was on torbugesic for pain, she is still on tramadol but the swelling is better
Dolly the second day after surgery, she was on torbugesic for pain, she is still on tramadol but the swelling is better
critters
Founding Member

Re: Dolly had surgery June 1, she's doing much better

Post by critters »

Wow! I had to read that twice to get a lot of what you were saying. :D

Personally, I'd consider it spina bifida, because the term is one that most people would understand, and it's probably close enough. For the same reason, I usually tell people Ari has cerebral palsy rather than cerebellar hypoplasia--it makes life a little easier!

What a bizarre thing for Dolly to have!!!!!! :shock:
Christine

Post by Christine »

Wow, Carol....thank goodness she is with you. I cannot imagine anyone catching anything like that. Glad she is doing well. I am sure this has been stressful.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

OMG, Carol huge congrats. for getting Dolly through her 3rd Surgery...I bet Dolly didn't miss a beat but I guess your nails took a hammering?

I wish Dolly a good recovery and a pain free and happy rest of her life. ((((Dolly))))

Sharon x
2 x 10 year old Pugs, Duke and Duchess. Duchess has hind leg paralysis.
1 x 3 year old Maltese (Terror) Terrior! Oly
2 x 5 year old Greenwing Macaws, Missy and Rojo
Living in Spain.
Joan

Post by Joan »

Some had to read this twice, and I have read it four times!! All I am seeing is a very lucky Dolly to have an angel to own. You have seen her through more already than most dogs go through in a lifetime. So glad that she is doing well, and looks so happy in her pen. No suggestions for you, but lots of prayers and well wishes to you both.
Hugs Joan
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Thanks to each of you.

:thankyou:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Dolly is back to normal. She wore her diaper today for half a day and seemed fine and comfortable in it. :)
Christine

Post by Christine »

Thanks to her mom :angel: Such good news!
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

Thank you for the update on Dolly and I am so happy she is doing well. Congratulations on a great job "Mom".

Sharon x
2 x 10 year old Pugs, Duke and Duchess. Duchess has hind leg paralysis.
1 x 3 year old Maltese (Terror) Terrior! Oly
2 x 5 year old Greenwing Macaws, Missy and Rojo
Living in Spain.
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Wow, Carol. She's lucky that she's in your family.