Handicapped Pets Foundation 501c3 is looking for a new member of the board of directors.
For more information: https://hpets.org/index.php

Dolly

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
CarolC

Diaper wear and tear

Post by CarolC » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:01 pm

This is a diaper, or should I say was? Dolly bounces on her bottom and goes out and explores the back yard as well as the house. Her diapers naturally wear through from friction on the ground bounce-bounce-bounce as the mileage builds up. But this diaper does not look too worn out because the denim is still blue, yet it is worn through clear to the liner.

I noticed a while back that the threshold in the doorway from the back yard to the sunporch had the head of a finishing nail showing, but I kind of scuffed it with my foot and it seemed OK. It was right in the exact spot of the doorway Dolly goes through to go in and out. Finally weeks later I bent over and felt it. Sure enough, it was sticking up more than I thought. Probably enough to catch and tear a diaper, or to catch a thread on a diaper that already had some wear, and tear it further. So she has probably been wearing out the seat of her pants faster because of that snag in the doorway.

It is fixed now. A couple of taps with the hammer, which I could have done weeks ago if I'd realized. If your pet wears out diapers, it is a good idea to take a close look at the surface they are bouncing or dragging on. :lol:

torn_diaper.JPG
Click to enlarge

critters
Founding Member

Re: Dolly

Post by critters » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:46 am

It's understandable, but kind of amusing, to think of her wearing out the seats of her britches! :D

CarolC

Post by CarolC » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:37 pm

I posted before that I was using a grocery bag to keep Dolly's diaper dry on days when she wanted to go out and the grass was wet. It works but has been less than ideal. Some days it works fine, and then other days she tears out the leg hole and comes in with a wet diaper. I tried taping the leg hole, but that wasn't entirely foolproof either. But I think I finally found the solution.

I have a stack of plastic bags that they give you at the vet when you buy supplies. They are super sturdy and thick and tear-proof. I made one of them into a diaper cover for Dolly and it is perfect. She did not tear it at all. Really, as much trouble as I had getting the hole in the corner (could not tear it by hand, had to use scissors) I think one bag is going to last a LONG time.

Vet_plastic_bags.JPG

Here is a picture of Dolly in her bag, just coming in from outdoors.

Dolly_vet_bag.JPG

And here is a picture of how I cut the bag for her to wear. The little 1.5" hole in the far corner is for her leg to go through. The reason I snipped the handles open was to be able to stretch the ends to have plenty of length to knot it around her waist. So I think this is finally the solution. The grocery bag was a good idea, but we just needed better bags. :D

Vet_bag_diaper_cover.JPG

critters
Founding Member

Post by critters » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:29 am

Seems funny for her to be wearing a bag. :mrgreen:

CarolC

Post by CarolC » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:56 am

It's not exactly a fashion statement, is it? But when she goes out and bounces around on her bottom in the wet grass in her denim diaper, it soaks all through the fabric and the front gets wet, her waist gets wet. Then she comes in and bounces wet/muddy splots and streaks all over the place, like walking in with muddy boots, only it's her bottom so the tracks are rounder? And I have to change her diaper, which wastes a pad I just put in 20 minutes ago, because usually this happens first thing in the morning when the grass is damp.

And she's a really good dog, but she's usually in high spirits when she comes in from outdoors, so I have to get her to hold still so I can change it, when she's all excited. I don't think I've ever said this, but this is how good she is. When she knows it's time to change her diaper in the afternoon, she lies down on her side with her leg side up so I can unvelcro the old diaper. Then when I go to put the clean one on, she sits up so I can get the pad under her and fasten it. :smart: :smart: :smart: :angel: :angel: :angel: But she doesn't do all that when I have to change her because she's wet, because she's excited and it's an unscheduled change I guess. But mainly, we just don't want wetness around her waist against her skin if we can avoid it...

critters
Founding Member

Post by critters » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:08 am

And avoiding a bit of washing isn't a bad thing, either! :mrgreen:

CarolC

Post by CarolC » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:18 am

We woke up this morning to more snow than I've seen since I moved here in 1988. I made a new plastic bag diaper cover for Dolly because I didn't want to not let a disabled dog have as much fun as every other. Dolly stepped her 2 front feet out the door into the snow, turned around, and came right back in! Guess we're not going to have to worry about getting a snow-packed diaper! :lol:

critters
Founding Member

Post by critters » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:37 am

I don't blame her!! :lol: