New eating poop problem anyone have this?

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
JMaxine

New eating poop problem anyone have this?

Post by JMaxine »

Lexi is now aware she is pooping in the crate at night and when we are not home. She pushes it all with her nose in a corner and then eats it to get rid of it. Her nose is a bloody mess and she is throwing up from the poop. Someone told me to sprinkle pepper in the corners of her bed. Anyone deal with this one???????????????????????????????????????
CarolC

Re: New eating poop problem anyone have this?

Post by CarolC »

The best thing is to express her bowel.

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/?title=Bowel_management_in_incontinent_pets

You can also ask the vet for a product called "Forbid" which is little packets of powder you sprinkle on the food and it makes the end product unappetizing so they leave it alone. I don't know if it interacts with any medication she might be on, the vet should know.

What kind of crate does she have? If it is not a wire crate, perhaps if you move her to a wire crate, she would push it through the wires, don't know about that.

I would not use pepper.

I once had a mini-dachshund who was not paralyzed who developed this problem (it is called coprophagia). She would go in the yard and then turn around and ingest it and I didn't realize it at first. She was vomiting and I took her to the vet and they did an x-ray and the vet said "Have you been overfeeding this dog?" "No." "Well, she's full of stool from end to end." This resulted in a day of hospitalization while they gave her fluids and watched to see if she'd get her system cleaned out, and it turned out she was fine. I would call the vet and talk to them about this. She may be full like my dog was, if everything that is coming out is going right back in.
JMaxine

Post by JMaxine »

thanks Carol,she is in a wire crate. Since she has always been house trained she does not want that stuff in her crate.....who can blame her? Although she is paralyzed in the hind legs she now can pee and poop and does so before bed. She is going in the middle of the night and when we are at work. I will ask the Vet about the meds. Thank you so much. Crazy dachshund!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't need her having any more problems like you experienced. :roll:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

My Koi will frequently clean up the pee he leaks, but he leaves it alone if he drops a nugget. Go figure! :D
JMaxine

Post by JMaxine »

I HAVE A VERY FUNNY STORY ABOUT CALLING THE VET FOR THE fORBID cAROL,DON'T HAVE TIME RIGHT NOW TO POST, BUT WILL DO LATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

OK, I'd love to hear it. :D
GSD Guy

Post by GSD Guy »

Add canned crushed pineapple to their food....tastes good going in, not so much on the other end!!! I have 3 large German Shepherds and I add 1 heaping teaspoon with each meal...no more "suprise" kisses! For the soft stool, add canned pumpkin....nice solid poops...easy clean-up and they love the taste...same amount as the pineapple....good luck