Diet for solid poops

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
bordercollieman

Diet for solid poops

Post by bordercollieman »

Hi there everyone!! What an awesome forum for those of us new to caring for paralyzed and/or incontinent pets. I have a male , 7 year old border collie with recent total hind end paralysis and incontinence. I have learned how and am comfortable with expressing his bladder and bowels on my own. I would like to know what others have used, diet-wise, for an active dog like this ( he still gets around a lot with his sling and soon-to-be-fitted cart), in order to keep and insure that his stools are always firm, as it is MUCH easier to deal with this issue, as you can well imagine, when they are firm. In the past, I have always fed him Authority dog kibble with lamb and rice. I was told that now I should mix in white rice with his food. He does ok and then every 3rd day or so he has really loose and messy bowel movement or 2 , so I am looking for another, long-term and reliable option. All medical test have been done and are done on a regular basis and he is healthy as a horse except for, of course, his paralysis ( the result of a bizarre embolus thrown into his spine) Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. BTW, I am doing a blog on this whole experience, from day one, in order to help others who are faced with this situation and, like me, don't have a clue about what to do next unless someone shows or tells you. Thank you so much to everyone who takes the time to share their experiences, as it helps immensely!!

Cheers,

Travis & Buddy2 (border collie)
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Diet for solid poops

Post by Bobbie »

Candy does really well on Taste of the Wild which is a grain-free food. He was supposed to have a sensitive stomach and he does if he eats junk (fatty treats) but he has nice poop on TOTW.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
bordercollieman

Thanks , Bobbie, I will check that out right now at our local food supply store. Thanks again. :D :thankyou: :thankyou:

Travis & Buddy2
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

You might consider a high-fiber "diet" food, which should help absorb extra water in his GI tract as well as help with constipation problems he might develop. Constipation isn't unusual with spinal cord injured critters.
bordercollieman

thanks critters- do you have any specific suggestions on this type of food? Thanks :thankyou:

Travis & Buddy2
janew

Post by janew »

Hi Travis,
I've never had a rear paralyzed dog, but had a cat that was for 13 years..I feed him on a raw diet (look up BARF diets, you can now buy it prepared, frozen) & feed the cats & him grainfree dry for nibbles. I still feed my pets grainfree diets, I alternate between Blue Bufflo 'Wilderness" & Wellness "Core". I now try to feed both the cats & dogs as much raw meat diet as I can afford & have time to prepare. I only use naturally raised or organic meat products. It gives low volume stool that is easy to clean up. I hope Buddy does well.
jane
slshepherds

Post by slshepherds »

The neurologist Carl sees recommends a low residue diet for all paralyzed dogs to help reduce the amount of poop. Carl unfortunately has colitis in addition to being paralyzed so he is on Science Diet I/D with added metamucil. I'm not a fan of Science Diet and all it's fillers and by products, but it is the only diet I've found that results in firm, bloodless poop, so I/D it is.

Joanne and Carl
www.teamcarl.blogspot.com
www.straightlegshepherds.org
Joanne
Carl, Tiny, Freckles (paralyzed Lab, mix and Red Heeler)
Sam I Am (Lymphoma, Lab)
Eli, Aoibhe, Tesla (limb deformities, GSDs and Lab mix)
Mochridhe (storage disease, GSD)

http://www.straightlegshepherds.org
http://www.paralyzeddogs.org
bordercollieman

Thanks everyone for the advice and feedback- it looks like the best diet I can find is made by a company called "Taste of the Wild" and it is grain free and all meat and organic. I have talked with several folks who feed this diet to their healthy dogs and their dogs apparently always have low volume , fairly firm stools without being constipated, which is how canines should function naturally in the wild. I will let you know how it works out.

Cheers,

Travis & Buddy2
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Let me know how it works. It took awhile for Merlin to start doing well on this food but Candy, who had been at one time on Sensitive Stomach, does great and did from the beginning.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Reid

Post by Reid »

We've been doing well with our pug on a home-made diet. The specifics shift slightly as her health issues change, but tend to include things like rice (white or brown), pumpkin or squash, brocolli/brocollini, fruit, meat (ground beef, chicken, lamb, etc.), a bit of olive oil, fish oil, and her assorted vitamins (C, E, CoQ10, EFA) and medications. End result of the diet - better poops, no reappearance of the urinary track infection (so far), dropped excess weight, and she remains very enthusiastic about meal times.

An example of shifting the content is where lately we dropped the rice and increased the pumpkin/squash, because she was having difficulty pooping on her own, and we also began giving her the occassional small amount of yogurt or ice cream (a teaspoon or two with some fruit) so the dairy would help move things through. She has never been particularly sensitive to dairy products so that works for us.

I'd also suggest paying attention to the treats that your dog gets. Our pug loves "Greenies" but doesn't get them any more, She was much more prone to mucus plugs and over-soft stools. "Freshies" on the other hand don't bother her.
servicedogroo

Post by servicedogroo »

Another option, I personally hate adding in rice, never found a use for this trick, never worked for me. But with my crew disabled or not I give slippery elm, it is an herb and give 1-2 capsules as needed. Works for both constipation as well as loose stools.

gina n labs
AMM

Post by AMM »

I had a lot of trouble with my elderly incontinent dog and loose stools. She is also paralyzed behind and you can imagine the mess. What finally worked was a series of B-12 injections and Tylan powder (an antibiotic that targets bacterial overgrowth in the bowel).
Life is much easier now :lol: .
winston oliver

Post by winston oliver »

we use Science Diet with our bull dog....what a difference!! nice and firm, no smell, no farts!(thank god) :D
Reid

Post by Reid »

Glad that Science Diet is working for you, but thought I should pass along a cautionary note. If you find that your bulldog has frequent problems with skin or ear infections, you may want to talk to your vet about dietary alternatives. Some of the Science Diet dry food products are stuffed with corn-based fillers. According to the dermatologist at our local vet hospital, corn content in pet food can be a significant factor in recurring infections.
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

I see that everybody has their own foods they use. It depends from dog to dog maybe.
Canned pumpkin ( not the pie filling) supposedly works.
I use California Natural , holistic brand, for my dog it seems to do him well.
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy