Incontinence while asleep

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Fry

Incontinence while asleep

Post by Fry »

I've searched through a lot of these posts, but haven't really found the answer to my situation yet, so hopefully someone can help me out.

My cat had his tail amputated late Jan/early Feb this year after an accident (we're guessing a car ran over him, but not 100% sure what happened). For about a month he went to the vet daily to have his bladder expressed, then as he regained feeling the visits decreased until they said he didn't need to go anymore (about two months after accident). The problem is that he still leaks urine sometimes while he's asleep - on the couch or the bed. He doesn't seem to be in any pain and can use a litter tray, I just don't think he notices what's happening when he's asleep. My partner's getting annoyed with washing the bedding all the time and the smell, so I'm wondering if there's anything we can do to stop/prevent/cover-up the problem? I live in New Zealand and haven't been able to find diapers/pants that would fit a cat, so is there another option?

Thanks!
Christine

Re: Incontinence while asleep

Post by Christine »

Hi!

I am not the expressing expert, but I wonder if he is not actually emptying his bladder entirely and may still need some help from you, expecially just before going down for the night? Also, if there is another reason he is leaking (Critters will know about this), you could diaper him at night.

Does your vet know he is leaking?
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

Just came back to check on you and noticed that you had already thought of diapers, but are having a hard time finding ones that fit. There is a diaper chart here somewhere, not to mention some ingenius ideas for diapering that some owners have come up with. Hang in there, more to come...

And, by the way... :welcomeheart:
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

A couple of discussions similar to your issues with some great information:

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... ers#p78489

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... ers#p77396

Ideas and Information on diapers and diapering

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php/Diapers_and_male_wraps
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Fry

Post by Fry »

I hadn't thought that I might need to help express his bladder as well. I'll definitely talk to the vet asap and see what advice they have or take him in for a check-up. They'll be the best people to show me how to do it as well.

Thanks for the links and the welcome :-)
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'd express. Also be aware you can try drugs--bethanechol may be your best bet for a leaker because it tightens the bladder. I'd try it when I was home, to make sure it's not too tight. In fact, I'm going to start Koi, my leaker, back on it and see what happens.
Fry

Post by Fry »

He's going to the vet on Saturday for a check-up and annual vaccination. I'll mention that drug - is it expensive though?
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Hmm. I don't know--we haven't bought it for awhile.
barley

Post by barley »

My cat has the same situation - happened about 2.5 months ago. We are also in New Zealand.

I tried the bethenacol in the beginning and it costs $14 for 4 pills at my vet.

My cat is going in his box but is still leaking at night and when he licks himself to clean down there. I tried expressing him right before bed and he still leaked in the night. I saw the vet a couple of days ago and he said the leaking is not a problem and that his nerves were just not fine tuned enough to work perfectly yet. I just keep him in a room at night that has hard suface floors and give him a fresh towel to sleep on every night. Otherwise, the house gets too messed up if I let him sleep in the bedroom or living room at night. The vet says this stage should last a few months for my kitty.