Still incontinent after laminectomy cat.. advice

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
CarolC

Re: Still incontinent after laminectomy cat.. advice

Post by CarolC »

I am so glad to hear this! I would love to see a picture. There are some instructions on uploading here:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6764

If you still can't get it or need help sizing a photo, one of the moderators can also help with that.

As for the not eliminating for a number of days, I am still hoping you will get more movement with the continuted meds. Going from memory (no time to find a link right now) they sometimes have to be cleaned out more than once under sedation. If the blockage persists and it really is megacolon, it can become a true emergency. The waste begins to give off chemicals and gases inside the intestine due to "spoiling" for lack of a better word, and the cat's health can deteriorate very quickly due to basically being poisoned by the unwholesome contents of the digestive system. I am not sure how long it takes before this can happen. With surgery they remove the section of the colon that is stretched, as well as cleaning out the waste, and the cat does well. You might ask your vet if it's OK to try the manual massage of the colon, it is easier than you might think and really can mobilize the feces toward the exit. Your hands and inner sense will figure out what to do automatically when you locate the colon. Still holding a good thought for you. You have done so much for her, you are close to having things squared away.