Using UTI at home test for dogs

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Precious'mom

Using UTI at home test for dogs

Post by Precious'mom »

Hi,

I have a paralyzed mini schnauzer who was born with back deformity and no feeling or use in her back legs who, as a result, can not pee on her own, pooping is no problem. She's 3 1/2 years old now, had her since 10 weeks, and I express her 3-4 times a day and have so far, knock on wood, not experienced any bladder infections. I used to bring her urine in for sampling at the vet every few months to be on the safe side, but noticed these UTI testing strips at Walmart for testing for UTI's in people. The brand is AZO Test Strips, a urinary tract infection test. There were three ina box and one box was like $15 or so. I haven't been to the vet yet to see if these work on dogs as well as people, but i wondered if anyone here had heard of them, or had used them for their dogs or cats. If they work, I would save a little money because the vet's is like $25 each time to test, and since she's not had an infection yet, I haven't been getting her tested as often this past year. So if anyone's used them or heard of them, please reply and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Jennifer
cricketsmom

Re: Using UTI at home test for dogs

Post by cricketsmom »

Were they doing a full UA on your dog or just a test strip? The chem strips we use to test for dogs and cats test white blood cells, glucose, bilirubin, ketone (acetoacetic acid), specific gravity, blood, pH, protein, urobilinogen, and nitrite in urine. It looks like the AZO strips only test for white blood cells and nitrite in the urine. In my opinion, it would be best to use a product for dogs. I've only found one product like that online but it seems to be missing the white blood cell component. I'm not sure if just anyone can buy it or if it has to be a clinic, but you can give it a try http://www.quickmedical.com/teco_diagno ... trips.html. Or try buying some from your vet to use at home (hey, they can only say no, can't hurt and if they are on board they may help you out with interpreting it)
vet tech and pet mom
Precious'mom

Re: Using UTI at home test for dogs

Post by Precious'mom »

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, I ordered some of those strips, haven't used them yet, though. Still haven't made it to the vet yet, am currently fostering a dog that gets about 3 hours of physical therapy a day for a dislocated hip injury. With her specialty vet visits, we haven't had time to make it to our own vet for Precious. but once we do, I will ask him if he'll sell me some test strips. Always too busy for so much stuff to do! But Precious is luckily a healthy girl, and we don't have to make too many vet visits. Thanks for the advice,

Jennifer