suggestion on flooring

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
synthsis

suggestion on flooring

Post by synthsis »

We have a 6 year old Brussels Griffon who has FCE (spinal stroke). It's been about 3 months since her incident and she is much more mobile now than she was before, she doesn't even like or need her wheelchair to get around. One issue we have is that she "sprinkles" a little bit even after being expressed. Just a couple drops, but needs to be cleaned up. We can't get harwood floors since she has some traction issues, and our carpet is getting kind of whooped. I'd like to replace it with maybe a low pile carpet that is really durable but I don't really know where to start. Our Vet has this really cool rubber flooring that has grip and is easy to clean up but I'm pretty sure that's going to be a hard sell to the wife. Can anyone make any suggestions on some flooring?

Gidget says thank you!
Christine

Re: suggestion on flooring

Post by Christine »

Right off hand, I don't have a flooring suggestion, but have you thought about having her wear a diaper for the dribbles? Since you mentioned expressing, it sounds as though you are handling that and know the importance. Has you vet expressed an opinion as to why there is residual tinkling? Your girl is adorable...we love pictures!

:welcomeblue:
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I completely agree, I would go with diapers and not spend money on new carpet. I use the Pupsters (PetsMart) brand of denim diapers on my small dog, with an absorbent pad stuck inside. Small dogs are very cute in diapers, and since they go on with velcro they are a snap to change. You want to start out with at least 2, one to wash and 1 to wear.

Here is a picture of one of my dog's diapers.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14244&hilit=diaper+pad

I agree low pile carpet is good for pets. I have a low berber that came with the house and it isn't something I would have chosen necessarily, but it has been steam cleaned a number of times and cleans up so nicely I am really pleased. The carpet people said berber cleans well.

I like your dog!
SandyNY

Post by SandyNY »

i had laminate floors. I purchased rubberor latex backed rugs (like bathroon rugs) I got ones that were washable and used long runner ones for the dog who needed traction. you can buy that stuff to put under scatter rugs to keep them from slipping - it is same stuff they sell to line shelves with. you can use that under washable scatter rugs if needed. i like the bathroom/ latex backed rugs because it protects the floor also.
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

Gidget is gorgeous and so glad she is doing well.

A cheaper option to diapers is to buy some Dog Sanitary Pants, the ones they wear when in "Season". You don't even have to buy the Pads which are an added cost, just fold up some Toilet Tissue and insert into the correct place and just flush away when used.

Good Luck!
2 x 10 year old Pugs, Duke and Duchess. Duchess has hind leg paralysis.
1 x 3 year old Maltese (Terror) Terrior! Oly
2 x 5 year old Greenwing Macaws, Missy and Rojo
Living in Spain.
synthsis

Post by synthsis »

Thanks for the suggestions. We've actually found that newborn diapers with a tailhole cut are a perfect fit for her. Right now she's currently suffering from Urinary Crystals. It's been about 3 weeks since she was tested and isn't due back until the 1st of December for another Urinalysis. Basically, we are switching her to a primarily wet food diet to increase her liquid intake. She is also on some drops to help break up anything that could be forming. Since it's only been a short time since her incident we weren't sure if this is an issue with Expressing or the fact that we were away for a couple days and my sister-in-law was watching her and possibly was not expressing her completely. Either way, the bladder issue is being addressed, don't want them to develop into stones.

About replacing the carpet, I'm not doing it just for her, I'm doing it because it's getting kinda whooped. We house trained Gidget, her sister, and our Chihuahua on this carpet and it's starting to see it's day. I figured a low pile carpet with a Scotchgard type product applied to it will get us off to a good start. I was also kicking around the idea of using 2x2' carpet squares. Basically you apply an adhesive to the underfloor and then cut the tiles to fit accordingly. The big upside to this is that if any of them get dirty or damaged, you can just pop them out and put a new one in place. They're primarily used in Retail and Office applications but Interface has come out with the FLOR line, which is meant for residential applications.

Thanks!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I laid vinyl, but I really like the idea of the replaceable carpet squares! I'd probably have to buy loads of them for spare, though. :hysterical:
synthsis

Post by synthsis »

check out these guys, they're on my list of places as prospective suppliers for carpet tiles:

http://www.icarpetiles.com/
synthsis

Post by synthsis »

I can't believe someone replied to this post the week after we finally made our final decision and install. We found this product at Lowes called Novalis 18" square rubber tiles. They are meant for residential use and do not have a "garage" feel to the them. It was about $2.65/sq ft, so it was right in the affordable range of things.

I might end up installing a small "area rug" of carpet tiles so she has somewhere to roll around on and scratch her face, since she will do the Curly Shuffle to scratch her own face.

I'll post up some pics when I get everything settled back down and in place.

thanks again!
Christine

Post by Christine »

Looking forward to seeing pictures! The "reply" was actually spam without helpful information, but glad it made you come back and update us!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'd like to see pics too!!! Last week I found a hole in our vinyl in our highest-traffic area.
marilynb

Post by marilynb »

I would like to know what the best color rug or carpet tiles would be because of dog urine?

Marilyn and Wally
synthsis

Post by synthsis »

I know this is long overdue but I finally took some good shots of the living room with the new floors.

The culprit is in the middle of the couch.
marilynb

Post by marilynb »

I was happy to see the picture of your new flooring. I would like to know what material and colour you used. The picture was kind of dark. How is the flooring working? I really need to change my carpet for the same reason.

Marilyn and Wally
synthsis

Post by synthsis »

They are 18"x18" rubber tiles from Lowes. Not all stores carry them in stock but any store can order them. Cleaning is SO much easier than carpet. A squirt bottle of simple green and paper towels for light accidents, or we have a Shark steam-mop for full on cleaning.