UTI Returning While on Cipro?!!!

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
marimor

UTI Returning While on Cipro?!!!

Post by marimor »

Hi Everyone,
You are all lifesavers!
I am really worried about my boy Simon. He had a high velocity disk injury and is 8 weeks post-op. He was just fitted for a chair and loves it. He is paralyzed in his back legs and is not able to control his bowels or bladder. Anyway, he was put on Clovamax (spelling?) while in the hospital to keep the UTI's from forming (stopped 6 weeks ago). About a week and half ago his urine smelled really bad, I knew it was a UTI. His vet put him on Cipro. It was working great, but a week into the treatment I am starting to notice the smelly pee again. What should I do? I am really worried about this. I think I am more worried about this than I was about any of the other challenges he's had so far (weird huh?). I just am afraid that if something as powerful as cipro doesn't work, what then? I guess it all depends on the bacteria and what works best. But why would it clear up and then return while on the treatment? His vet is also his physical therapist and specializes in treating physically challenged dogs. He didn't do a culture but just got a whiff of his urine when we took his wrap off to do therapy and said wow, let's put him on something. I'm thinking he will probably do a culture now since it seems to be coming back. Simon is a happy boy and looks fine.He doesn't appear to be feeling ill, nor is he feverish. He's pee is just starting to smell again.
I'm rambling.. Anyway, any advice or reassurance would sure help!
Thanks!
Marianne
Christine

Re: UTI Returning While on Cipro?!!!

Post by Christine »

hi Marianne,

This might not be the correct cure the for particular strain of bacteria. Many times, they will get a clean catch by using a needle directly into to bladder so they can determine exactly what the bacteria is they need to do deal with. In the case of UTI' unfortunatley, it is not a one cure fits all.

Don't think I have said Hello and Welcome to you yet. Good luck with your little sweetie.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
marimor

Post by marimor »

Hi Christine,
Nice to meet you :)
I guess it isn't the right treatment.I will talk to his doctor on Monday.
There is something Simon does that may or may not have anything to do with bad flora getting in his system: We have to put an E collar on him at night because he eats his poop (I know nothing is sacred on this site :oops: ) Anyway yesterday morning we woke to find that he somehow got his collar off during the night (we've since adjusted it) and we saw the tell tale signs of a poop feast (yuck). It was about 12 hours after we found this that he started having loose bowels and his pee started to smell. So my question is--would this rather disgusting habit cause him to ingest e-coli or other bad bacterias? You can be sure that we are leaving that collar on when he is out of sight. Bleh..

Marianne
Christine

Post by Christine »

Wow, that adds another whole dimension to it. Maybe you should take a sample of that along with the urine (even though they will probaly do the needle biopsy) I am alwAYS OF THE school or too much rather than too little.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
marimor

Post by marimor »

I know there are things you can give that can stop them from doing this. It's so gross and we have to pick the poop up fast or Simon will make a go for it immediately. It can be quite a challenge, let me tell you. We just have to be vigilant to make sure he doesn't have the opportunity to indulge in this nasty habit.

Marianne
Christine

Post by Christine »

How about a diaper as long as he is wearing the collar?
?/1999 - 10/25/08
marimor

Post by marimor »

That's a good idea. I haven't been able to find one in his size or that fits his shape (he's 85 lb., Golden/Ridgeback mix and has a unique shape). When he first came home from the hospital we got Depends for him and they worked by us cutting out a hole for his tail. It did work. Maybe we should try that again.

Marianne
Christine

Post by Christine »

Somewhere on this site -I think the wikipedia, there is a chart of diapers our member have compiled. I am still looking for it.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

DON'T KNOW WHY I am having such a hard time finding it...i will write to some of the other moderators and ask.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
slshepherds

Post by slshepherds »

Hi and welcome

I'm Joanne and Carl is my paralyzed Lab. Unfortunately UTI's are almost a fact of life with paralyzed dogs due to them not being able to fully empty their bladder. Carl is having huge problems with an e-coli UTI. My suggestion, and that of Carl's neurologist, is to CULTURE every 3 months, whether or not you can smell anything. UTI's can become resistant very quickly and it is important to treat using the weakest antibiotic first as you may need the big guns later.

My Carl's first UTI last summer was susceptible to everything so he was just put on Amoxicillin. Despite my expressing 4 times a day it came back a few months later and this time there was a number of drugs he was resistant to. By October he was resistant to everything except Nitrofurantoin, Amikacin and meropenum. We put Carl on nitrofurantoin for 2 months but 48 hours after stopping it came back ... This morning Carl finished a course of meropenum ($180!) and I'm crossing my fingers. Carl is also on Cranberry extract (works for e-coli infections as it helps prevent bacteria "sticking" to the urinary tract lining) which I think is helping.

As for the poop problem, probably not related but you never know. I put a diaper on Carl but only round his penis to catch urine (size 6 diaper in a belly band. I "depoop" him twice a day, using a q-tip with some vaseline inserted just into his rectum and twirled round. it makes him poop and stops him leaving presents round the house while I am out.

Joanne
Joanne
Carl, Tiny, Freckles (paralyzed Lab, mix and Red Heeler)
Sam I Am (Lymphoma, Lab)
Eli, Aoibhe, Tesla (limb deformities, GSDs and Lab mix)
Mochridhe (storage disease, GSD)

http://www.straightlegshepherds.org
http://www.paralyzeddogs.org
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Christine wrote:Somewhere on this site -I think the wikipedia, there is a chart of diapers our member have compiled. I am still looking for it.
Here ya go. https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php/Diapers_and_male_wraps
marimor

Post by marimor »

Hi Joanne,
Thank you for the suggestions. I think that's my fear--that we are using the big guns now with Cipro and it's not working. He has been on Clavamox once before in the hospital.
I am getting some Cranberry supplements and will start him on that today. I am all for holistic treatments alongside the traditional medical. In fact Simon's regular vet practices the combination. What dosage of the Cranberry do you use for Carl? I also have some homeopathic drops the regular vet gave me that are for urinary tract health. We used them for our other baby who is elderly and suffers from UTIs occasionally. I know homeopathic therapy is controversial and traditional medicine denies it works, but hey, it can't hurt so why not.
Marianne
sheri m

Post by sheri m »

Hi guys. I hope everyone is well. It was 8 years ago yesterday that Pete was paralyzed. As most of you know pete has had an ongoing battle with UTI. The best maintance I have found is every morning he gets a tablespoon of pure apple cider vinegar(with mother) mixed with some yogourt.
marimor

Post by marimor »

Hi Sheri,
Yes good old yogurt. I'll pick up some Apple cider too. Your remedy sounds like my grandad's health tonic he claimed made him live to 98! :lol: . I'll try it!
I wonder if Kefir would be good too.
slshepherds

Post by slshepherds »

Carl takes 475mg Cranberry extract twice daily. Be sure that the tablets/capsules you get don't contain silica.
Joanne
Carl, Tiny, Freckles (paralyzed Lab, mix and Red Heeler)
Sam I Am (Lymphoma, Lab)
Eli, Aoibhe, Tesla (limb deformities, GSDs and Lab mix)
Mochridhe (storage disease, GSD)

http://www.straightlegshepherds.org
http://www.paralyzeddogs.org