Starting to get diaper rash/sores

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
krisrath11

Re: Starting to get diaper rash/sores

Post by krisrath11 »

Bob releases no urine, only poop and it is apparently what is causing it now. (I don't get it because he has had the same thing for his whole 7 months of life and never got this). I've tried Epsom salt baths and it did nothing at all. We have been to 4 different vets now. I can't afford my usual one, the one who docked his tail wanted to put him down when he was 4 weeks old, my usual vet wanted to charge me $40 for the visit and $40 for the test they wanted to run (needless to say I can't afford the office visits every time he gets a diaper rash). The other 2 are low cost vets and they r really in and out. I was wondering about the peroxide actually and I will definitely be trying that and the other. I tried a blow dryer, that's never happening again... poor guy flew out of my hands into the shower curtain and out the door in about 3 seconds and I didn't even have it near him. (He's never bothered by anything and I did it once but it has been quite awhile).
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

when i've used a blow dryer i've put it on low and put it down on something a few feet away, but even then some cats don't respond well.

I just thought of something else.
the diapers you are using, do they have any kind of lotion in them? One of my girls gets peeling skin if I use diapers that have what supposed to be good-for-the-skin lotions! so I have to make sure diapers are just plain, no scents, no lotion, no nothing. Is any of his bedding being washing with a different laundry soap? If his diet hasn't changed and this has just popped up suddenly it's possible he is reacting to something.
sad the epsom salts didn't work.

vet costs add up quickly, that's for sure. I started a little flea market business to help pay vet bills, I've found facebook to be useful for raising funds, too, and there is a group there for mobility impaired/paralyzed furs.
If you are on facebook I am Sasha Black Furr, The Bendy Mom. I can help connect you if you want. I have had some minor success with teespring selling tshirts.
my spina bifida boy Butterbean (who I adopted through this site) is also on there, but that is mostly for fun.
https://www.facebook.com/Butterbean-764258863661680/

the benefit of a 'for fun' page is he has fans who help him out from time to time. I couldn't take care of this crew without the support network I have., and I mean that absolutely literally. Do you have any creative talents you can make use of? I started out sewing little felt mice and selling them . Then I went to discoutn stores and got pet items, made gift baskets and sold them on ebay, but ebay was much smaller then. Now the key to selling on ebay is to find something that there aren't already a zillion of. A lot of people on facebook do raffles and auctions there, I don't have the patience to keep up with that kind of thing, honestly, so I just sell stuff.

a lot of vets will say "just put them down" I had one vet tell me "you'll never be able to care for him like he needs" and I ended up literally yelling at her that I had done a lot of reading and talking with other people who had incontinent animals to understand what he needs and yes I most certainly was willing to care for him. I don't think she'd ever had a person respond like that. I don't advocate screaming at your vet but, well, I have a temper and especially then it wasn't well controlled.
My current vet said to me "you're not afraid of anyone! I love that." and I said "Remember that when the attitude is pointed at you." My vets call me their continuing education program.

Walmart pharmacy has a lot of good products cheap, and they seem to exist in every corner of the US. Actually I don't know what country you're in but if you don't have Walmart maybe you have something similar.
hm, my brain is rambling all over so I think I'll be quiet now.
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.
krisrath11

Post by krisrath11 »

I am in Missouri so we do have Wal-Mart. Is the stuff u were talking about the same as astringent? I think it was my mom read somewhere u could use that but we thought it would burn so I never did. I never thought a out trying to do things like that to make vet money, I most certainly will be starting. I have a Facebook that I me we use, I'll add u and use it if it helps him. I am also thinking about fostering a kitten who is incontinent as well until I can find him a home. The diapers we use are fancy pants for pets. A lady makes them and sells them and they r reusable. I had changed the cat food and actually the dog food as well (sometimes all the cats eat it too so u never know) that's when he started pooping actual poop balls on his own and caused the whole mess. The poop is good, the rash is bad. I changed to dawn dish soap original for washing him per the vet. It was gone when I was using it still so I doubt that would be it. His anus was all beat red and cracked bleeding in spots. It got to where he would scream (he has a terrible scream like his mom) and shake when I would even take him to the bathroom. He stopped that since it went away before but it came back and u can tell when it really hurts him. I change and express him 2 to 3 times after work and once in the morning when I get up to leave. I try to use paper towels soaked in dawn and water to clean him (I cut strips and put them in a baby wipe container. I had him in dollar General disposable diapers for a bit but it made no difference. I left his diaper off for 2 days and it didn't help (went back on when he woke me up loving at 3 am and hopped on the pillow and pooped). It's healed for the most part again now but he also just had a shot yesterday or the day before of cortisone which is a miracle drug for it apparently. I just got home from work so I used the peroxide to clean him to see if that does anything because he does have dead skin in places. I am putting them on blue buffalo kitten food now because better food is less poop (killing the pockets a bit but they r worth it). In all honesty I would rather change and express bob over cleaning the others litter box any day lol. If I get this diaper rash under control for good then me and him have it easy. I like I get to take him places (he is extremely mellow mannered) with only a leash and i never have to worry. He goes to the stores all the time and to visit my mom sometimes.
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

if the cortisone shots are helping it, I would think it is a more a reaction to something. have you tried a cortisone cream? I have used Anusol on cats with sole buttholes. I'm glad something works!
Chlorhexadine is not an astringent, it does not burn or sting. it's a surgical rinse. the peroxide will sting.

Definitely less poop is better!!

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
krisrath11

Post by krisrath11 »

Hmmm, I didn't even think of that, and what an easy fix. Cortisone and cortisone, y didn't I ever put that together? I kinda feel like a dummy lol. Well I wouldn't think it was the food, I thought maybe from his diapers since his butt was off the pad so I ordered new ones and used disposable til they came. I switched them from this cheap kitten food from tractor supply and mixed in Purina pro plan with what they had left to start the switch. That's when he started with real poop (still dribbles some runny but not as much). When he had his first real poop balls (there were like 8 of them) that's when all the problems started with his sore butt. I am in the process of switching to blue buffalo now, and tried some royal canin (what a joke on how expensive that is for the ingredients that r in kitten chow). Going to try the surgical rinse as it can't really hurt at this point. I did the peroxide on some toilet paper and dabbled it. He didn't complain anymore than his usual (which is more of a really do u have to). So since u seem to have tons of experience with these diaper babies, bob almost always has blood surrounding his stool when I express him, is that normal? I try to let him go more on his own now but if it is right there I don't want his butt any worse. It had me terrified but none of the vets seem worried (or to care actually). Ugh, is there a such thing as a good and affordable vet? O, bob had the laser treatments when he was a month old because he had a month worth of urine and feces packed in him. The vet said it could help with something. Perhaps we can try that for it if they can give me a good deal again.
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

bright red blood is from irritation, it isn't great but it isn't anything to panic over.
It's hard to think of everything, we all overlook things that's why it's nice to be able to put our heads together.I agree in general Royal Canin is quite overpriced. a lot of finding the right food is trial and error. It's odd that he started having the rash after getting solid poop, makes me wonder if its soemthing in that food that is getting on him? a lot of the "high end" foods have very strange ingredients that I have yet to be convinced are worth the price, assorted veggies, berries, kelp, i have one cat who breaks out if his food has any kind of berries in it. my diaper gang gets mostly urinary food because they have constant problems with UTIs, which is a major health issue in most of these guys so watch out for it. it kills a lot of them :(

i thought of something, if you send me a friend request on Facebook, when I get a request I check the person's page. If you don't have picts of animals, and if you don't have a pict at the top I generally don't accept.

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
krisrath11

Post by krisrath11 »

O, I sent a request, it's just me in the pic, I have no idea how to work the thing. I posted (I think) a pic of bob on there or put it somewhere anyway just a bit ago. Maybe it is something in the food. Hopefully the new one will help as we aren't completely out of the other stuff yet and we can't very well afford to throw it away. I got worried about a uti in bob like 2 months ago as his urine had become tinted darker and had it tested. They said all was good but a few blood cells in it that were likely from him being expressed but he was perfect other than that. He is pretty consistent with his amount and all so I figure once every 6 months unless there's a cause for concern to have him checked. This is an extremely helpful place. I use the cat site as I had no idea about kittens and birthing bcz we always fixed our animals so when I ended up with pregnant moo I freaked lol. They were full of advice on that but very little on this.
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

Can you resend the request please? You should have that option. I'm not seeing it.

yep, that's what we're here for, that's how this place started. a few of us posting on a simple format board talking to each other about our special needs furs :) Blood in the urine is probably from an irritated bladder, could be from stress. They can get cystitis which is inflammation of the lining of the bladder, nto an actual infection, but still not a a good thing. Cosequin can help with this. Checking every six months is an excellent idea. If you ever notice his urine smelling bad or looking cloudy take him in ASAP. UTIs can travel to the kidneys, they can also become antibiotic resistant if they get them over and over. If you can keep him having solid poop that helps a lot. Dark urine could just be a little over concentrated, so maybe adding some water to his food will help. the more liquid you can get into him the better.

I just broke up a huge cat fight. Bean also has some neurological issues that make him aggressive sometimes. I try to keep him seperate from everyone but every now and then something happens. Not fun.

A lot of times if you look on ebay or amazon you can get things cheaper than you can in a retail store. Another good site is Chewy.com, although they have just merged with petsmart and petfooddirect so I'm not sure if they will change. I hope not, I love that site. I have always said that one thing I wanted was for other people to learn from my experiences. Poor little Legume only lived 11 months, his death tore my heart out, but I was determined to learn from him. Back then no one really knew how to take care of these guys very well and I remind myself we did the best we could. It's hard though. Often I'll be doing something and think "if I had only known"

Does bob pee on his own? it is very important for the bladder to actually be emptied is why I ask. Urine staying in the bladder increases the rsik of infection substantially, and I did not understand that when I had Legume, and no one knew to tell me.

here is my site if you want to look, it is behidn the times but the information that is there is correct for thsoe cats.
http://www.alittletlc.com/indexoriginal.html

here is Legume's page
http://www.alittletlc.com/LegumePage.html

I need to take a break, I'm getting teary eyed. 14 years and I still cry over him. :(

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
krisrath11

Post by krisrath11 »

No, bob does not per on his own at all. Apparently he used to when no one would tell me why he was dribbling pee but not since his 4th week of life. I express his bladder 3 to 4 times per day no matter how full it is and haven't had a problem since. I do occasionally lose it so to speak towards the end, when this happens I make sure I get an extra one in that day. You can tell it relieves him bcz he just squats down and gets this look on his face lol. I'm so sorry to hear about the little one. At least u did try and help him, more than most people can say. Bob's mom moo moo is the mean one around here. She's calmed down a lot but she is still a brat. I kept bob for obvious reasons, one of his brothers (who is a jerk) for him to play with, and his mom. He's got quite a feline family with my other male cat who treated the kittens like he was their mom. It gets interesting around here too with all of them and the 3 dogs. My male pit bull used to count the babies and freak if one was missing lol, not bob creeps him out buy rubbing against him lol. Bob is so laid back and off to himself usually that I would really forget he is here lol. He rarely purrs but when he wants love (always while I'm sleeping) there is no stopping him and he's so cute I can't help but giggle at him even though I'm irritated I am awake so early lol. I will resend the request now
krisrath11

Post by krisrath11 »

I can't get it to find u in searches now on fb
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
krisrath11

Post by krisrath11 »

There's no option to add u for some reason
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

Ok, we're connected on the FB messenger and I sent you a friend request :)

sometimes FB is just wierd.

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

I don't know what happened but suddenly Facebook disappeared you from my page, I can't continue our conversation in IM, I can't see your page. Did you block me somehow? Seems very strange.
anyway. Congrats!

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
krisrath11

Post by krisrath11 »

It says it has been disabled, I just tried to log back in and it wouldn't let me. Idk what happened. Thx though!