My cat was hit by a car. What are her chances of recovery?

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
VampireHeart82

Re: My cat was hit by a car. What are her chances of recover

Post by VampireHeart82 »

Pandora's first day back! Lol, the kitten acted like he didn't remember her at first! Then again he showed up only 2 days before the accident happened. He warmed up to her real quick though.

If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men.

St. Francis of Assisi
Jean

Post by Jean »

I sent you a Personal Message with my location. Hope you received it.
In your previous post you said Pandora was the Siamese mix ? So, she is the one in the picture with blue eyes? She is absolutely gorgeous !!!!
When was Pandora last expressed ? Is she leaking urine at all ? You really need to find someone to help you learn to express or at least express her until you have time to learn. Stool impaction is a concern as well. A tech was trying to get me to take a recently injured paralyzed kitten this summer and he ultimately died of a severe stool impaction before he got to me.
Try to rub on her genitals like a mother cat does to stimulate her kittens to urinate. Maybe you could at least get her to go a little. Is it an option to take her to a local ER clinic?? /Jean
VampireHeart82

Post by VampireHeart82 »

Yes she has the blue eyes, I have been able to get some out of her but not enough. The vets were letting her go so long without expressing trying to make her go (stupid I know!) that I didn't even have the advantage of starting with her after she had been fully expressed. Her bladder was way to full! I have been able to get her about half empty but thats about it. She is pooping ok I think. It just kind of goes through and out. I always get some of that out trying to get pee out. I fear that her bladder had been left overfull for so long that it may be damaged. It's been really hard to get the last half empty. I am fixing to try again though! Wish me luck!
If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men.

St. Francis of Assisi
Jean

Post by Jean »

Hopefully, it is not damaged. She hasn't been injured for that long.
Try to lay her on her side or stand her up whatever technique works best for you. Try to relax. She may tighten up if she senses your anxiety. I know that is hard to do when this is so new to you but none of us learned to express overnight. I had to have the vet and techs work with me for weeks. Try expressing her and then let her go to do something she enjoys and then try again. You will get the hang on it. You have aleady located the bladder which is half of the battle. But, like I said previously she may need bladder meds. Without meds may cats just can't be expressed. The meds help to relax the neck of the bladder and then contract the bladder so the urine is expelled./Jean
PS: My vet had me wait 24 hours on one of my paralyzed cats thinking she might go if she was full enough too.
How does her urine smell? If the odor changes she may have an infection. Some vets put newly disabled paralyzed pets on antibiotics to give the owner time to learn to express.
VampireHeart82

Post by VampireHeart82 »

The over 24 hr thing wasnt just one time! The whole week she was at the vets they only expressed her once a day to once everyother day! Then sent her home with me (for a three day weekend of all things!) with a VERY full bladder! At least i have been able to get it down to a normal size! She has that strong pee smell. But she had that even at the vets because they left her so long. She got one of those antibiotic shots that lasts two weeks when she was there. I haven't been able to get her completely empty BUT everytime I work on her her bladder is smaller than the last time so at least I'm not letting it get huge like it was when she came home from the vet. I have been working on both expressing (which she hates and it takes a while to get it going) and the stimulation (like a mother) it works if I have done a little expressing first and it gives her a little break. She doesn't care for it either but she puts up with it all. Her bladder seems to be tightening. It never feels loose after a break. The vet seems to think she is trying to hold it when you go to express her. However I am still compelled to think that they just are not as experienced with this sort of thing as I need. It's already been established that neither one of them have had anyone do this long term with them before. The person that lasted 3 weeks was the longest out of both vet clinics... Then again had that person found this place they may have lasted longer!

St. Francis of Assisi
Jean

Post by Jean »

I know I said this previously but Pandora is sure a Beauty !!!!!!!
It sounds like you are making progress. You getting her bladder smaller and smaller is certainly good. Good for YOU !!!!!!!!!!
When I adopted Caramel Apple the clinic where she was staying was only expressing her 1x a day as well. She was attacked by Pitt Bulls and is paralyzed. She was flown down to me by a rescue located in NYC. She is a beauty as well. She is calico with a lot of caramel coloring Hence Caramel Apple (NYC is known as the big Apple.) The rescue members pooled their frequently flier miles and one of their members flew with her in the cabin. She is such a sweet thing. I have had her for 3 1/2 years now.
Do you have the money to take Pandora to another Vet? I know it is a holiday tomorrow and likely only the ER clinic is open but could you take her on Tuesday? If you could call and visit with several friends maybe you could find someone that really likes their vet. To be honest with you I doubt that you will find a vet with much experience with paralyzed cats. Most people euthanize paralyzed cats but likely there is a vet in Tulsa who has some experience with paralyzed doggies.
Question your friends and try to find a vet who is willing to work with the owner and not someone who is authoritarian and will try to pursuade you to end her life. I rememeber reading about different types of vets. There are the "God" vets who think they need to be in control and battle it out with clients who do not choose "their" way. Then, there are vets that are "team" players and are willing to work with owners. Try to find a vet that is more open and willing to work with you.
If I were you I would get Pandora to a Vet as soon as possible. She likely needs bladder meds. Of my 5 cats that I express 3 of them are on meds. By being on the meds it will make it easier to express her and you will be less likely to bruise her bladder plus she will be less likely to get bladder infections which are so costly and often life threatening.
Don't get discouraged you are making progress. All of us who express had to learn by trial and error.
Express her every 3-4 hours since you are not getting her totally empty so that her bladder stays small. Don't give up Pandora's life depends on YOU !!!! Jean
VampireHeart82

Post by VampireHeart82 »

Thank you! She is beautiful. Ironically I was actually looking for a tiny solid black kitten when I saw her. She is about as opposite as you can get from that but we had an instant connection! She was estimated at about 6months old and def not black lol but she was it! I had to save her. It wasn't even a hard choice and I would have thought it would be since they actually had a small 6-7 week old solid black kitten. Of course he was getting all of the attention and she and her sister were begging for attention! My friend adopted her sister the same day. She looks Siamese down to a T. She is the seal point coloring. Pandora was just unique lol and that's me to a T! Unique.

That's horrible about what happened to your cat! It should be required that people socialize their dogs if they are going to own them! Then again I don't think anyone should be aloud to own a dog UNLESS they are willing to do basic training as well. You can even check stuff out from the library for free so cost shouldn't be a factor. If they don't have TIME to do the training then maybe they should reconsider getting a dog to begin with! We have two pitbulls and all three of our cats beat up on them lol. My boy is scared of cats (I know crazy right?) and my girl is always trying to get them to play. The kitten is the only one that will play with her. Of course we don't leave them all together when we are not around either just as a safety precaution. I would never leave my babies (my boys are 1 1/2) alone with my dogs or cats either though. Just because we think of them as family doesn't make them think like people. Dogs will always think like dogs and cats will always think like cats and babies (especially my boys) will always pester even if not meaning to! All of my kids (the four legged ones) are rescues. I do a lot of rescue work one or two at a time. What kind of meds do I need to inquire about for pandora? If I already know what I need I can check around. My main issue with vets is that I had the perfect one! Unfortunately he retired last year and left me vetless! I wish he had still been here but he retired to Florida! So now I am in need of a new good one. It is already getting easier with pandora. She lets me know (very loudly I might add!) that she isn't happy but she never tries to fight me. She too sweet natured for that. I have been able to get it going much quicker than before! If I can get her on the right kind of meds we would be able to sail through it all! That would be nice. She is such a wonderful spirit that I want our bond to make it through. I have been worried lately. I used to be able to pick her up cradle her and rub her tummy and she loved it! Now she gets tense and it makes me sad.

St. Francis of Assisi
Jean

Post by Jean »

Hi,
Caramel's previous owner found her as a stray in NYC. They went to the store and left her in the house with 2 loose Pit Bulls. Like you said dogs will be dogs but it is up to us to protect them.
I would be lost if I lost my Vet. He is pricey but well worth the help I get from him.
Dependent on the neurological damage Pandora suffered she could be on a combination of Robaxin, Bethanechol, Prazosin and possibly Phenoxybenzamine. I have so many on these meds that I buy it by the bottle and my vet scripts it out to a human pharmacy. It is much cheaper that way. /Jean
PS: Pandora just needs time to adapt. She has been through so much. She is tense and you are tense but things will get better.
Have you viewed the links on expressing the bowel. You really need to monitor her stools. Stool impaction is one of the major killers of paralyzed pets and people as well as bladder infections that go systemic. Pandora may need lactulose to keep her stool loose enough to express like Carol mentioned in her previous post.
I know you mentioned that her stool is just falling out but you still want to make sure that it is not buiding up in her colon. When I got Chynna my Manx kitty 3 years ago I thought we would never get her bowel cleaned out. The rescue had had her to the vet several times and the vet even came with the rescue lady to bring her to Kansas but she was a mess. The vet and I did enemas for days and we were so close to loosing her.
Make sure the vet does a UA to make sure Pandora does not have a bladder infection. I always do a urine culture with mine but since Pandora has only been paralyzed a short time and had no bladder infections she will likely do fine with Clavamox for 30 days. Having her on it a longer time will give you time to get used to expressing.
You are doing great and should be so proud of yourself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!/Jean
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

My boys stayed on steroids for a month or 2 after their injuries, until the pred caused some stomach upset, anyway.
Jean

Post by Jean »

How is Pandora doing and how is expressing going?
Were you able to get her in today to another Vet?
VampireHeart82

Post by VampireHeart82 »

Sorry my back went out and I am just now getting around enough to do this.
Jean, I sent the rundown in the P.M. reply.
Critters, thank you for that info! I will pass it on.

Ok, so Pandora developed a pinkish tint to her urine last night. Ugh, I am assuming that means UTI. I need to find out what I can put her on if anything at the moment as the Convenia shot hasn't run it's full course yet. However the overall smell of her urine is better than before so I am happy about that. The expressing has been much easier the last couple of days as well. I hope it's not just due to the UTI. I am gettin her bladder almost empty now so that is making me very happy! Her bowels seem ok. She doesn't eat much and I get some out just about everytime I express her. I am keeping an eye on what goes in to know roughly what should come out. When it comes out it looks normal. Not to hard or soft, Moist not dry and not all balled up. So I am thinking things are still moving well that way.

I am going to have a talk with the vet I have been using tomorrow. I am going to ask him if he is willing to be open to new info I have learned from here and doing research and work with me and do some research of his own if so inclined or I am going to have to find a vet that will do so if I can't find one with expeirience. I really hope he will work with me because I know he cares about animals and I do like him but I have to do what is needed for Pandora. We will see.
Also! Food ideas for Pandora. I want to make sure I keep her insides flowing as smoothly as possible!

St. Francis of Assisi
VampireHeart82

Post by VampireHeart82 »

Ok it's 4am and I just expressed her a little again but no pink tint this time? Not sure as to what is going on. First the pink didn't start until after I had her bladder down to a normal size for a day or so, now it's gone for the moment. I still can't get it completely empty. I am having a hard time getting a good hold of it when it's that small (about the size of a large radish or a key lime maybe). Any tips? I have been doing I one handed as I have to hold her with the other.

St. Francis of Assisi
Jean

Post by Jean »

Hi Pandora's mom,
It really sounds like you are making great improvement in expressing your little one's bladder. Good for you. Remember practice is the key. :)
Ok first of all a UTI can cause blood in the urine. But, so can bruising of the bladder. In addition, a cat with a UTI is usually very easy to express. Mine even leak sometimes when they have a infection which they never usually do.
You said that you are having problems getting her bladder totally empty once it gets smaller. But, it is important that you get her empty so you put more pressure and more pressure to get out the urine. As a result, you cause bruising of the bladder. That is the reason she likely needs to be on meds. The meds will make it easiler to totally empty her bladder without bruising her. An occassional bruising is no big deal. My vet says it is nearly impossible to "blow" a bladder unless they have an obstruction like for instance a "blocked" male. But, it really sounds like she needs meds so you can empty her and she doesn't get a bladder infection. After we got my paralyzed pets on the right meds I just barely had to push on their bladders to express them. For a paralyzed pet bladder meds are their best friend !!!!
I think Carol gave you a link for expressing a cat's bowel. After learning Pandora's anatomy you won't have to monitor input you will just feel the stool in the colon and gently exert pressure until the stool comes out. Remember emptying the bowel is just as important for a paralyzed pet as emptying the bladder. I give my cats a high fiber food and some of them are on a teaspoon of canned pumpkin and Lactulose which is a stool softener.
It is imporant that you get Pandora into a Vet tomorrow and have them do a (UA) Urine analysis to check to see if she has bacteria (usually white blood cells and blood ) in her urine. WIth a paralyzed pet you have to be quick to act when you suspect a bladder infection. You have to protect her kidneys. Every infection she has is an insult to her kidneys. ( A paralyzed pets weak area is their kidneys just like an asthmatics weak area is their lungs.) You have to stay on top of her care so that your family can enjoy her company for many years to come.
Keep up the consistency with Pandora and her care will eventually become second nature.
Pat yourself on the back. You are doing a GREAT job !!!! /Jean
VampireHeart82

Post by VampireHeart82 »

I got her tested and she was clear?!? Not sure if maybe the blood was just bruising or from being to full or something but either way this is good for her I think. She hasn't had anymore pink or strong smell. Also, she is either starting to pee on her own or she has found a way to release her bladder on her own because she is drinking and the last two days her bladder has been almost empty everytime I check her. Having the kitten inside though and the fact that I haven't been using clumping litter because I have heard its not good for kittens until they are a bit bigger so I have no way of keeping an eye on pee clumps at the moment. I will be going back to the clumping litter in a couple of weeks though. She and Tigger (the kitten) have been playing hard lately though. The turkeys woke me up last night getting into a wrestling match on my back lol!! I can't help but wonder if that can be a bad thing for Pandora though. I was told that she can make her injury worse. Is that true? It's been over two weeks since the accident.

St. Francis of Assisi
Jean

Post by Jean »

Hi Pandora's mom,
That is great that her UA came back so good.
How often are you expressing her bladder? If you are expressing her every 6-8 hours I would check her at 4 hours and see if she is full. She may be drinking so much from all the physical activity with the kitten that she may need to be expressed more often. I wouldn't let her bladder fill to the point of overflowing.
I would crate her and limit her physical acitivity for 8 weeks if she were mine./Jean