My cat was hit by a car. What are her chances of recovery?

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
VampireHeart82

Re: My cat was hit by a car. What are her chances of recover

Post by VampireHeart82 »

Hey, sorry it's been a while since I've been on. I have been really busy! We just had another check up yesterday morning and things are going good! Her colon is full but not impacted I have had her on stool softeners and am adding a little of that stuff made for hairballs that slicks up the intestinal track a little. We have not had any more bladder probs after that first bit of pink I saw the first week and she is emptying her bladder almost completely herself by grooming herself down there and then I help her finish. Her tail is still flaccid so it will probably stay that way. I am going to give her another 2-3 months and if there is still no nerve impulse improvement I will have it amputated. I can't believe it has already been a month and 1 week since her accident! It has gone by smoothly and the week she spend in the vet clinics seemed longer to me than the whole month at home!
If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men.

St. Francis of Assisi
Jean

Post by Jean »

WOW, Pandora is doing GREAT !!!!!!!!
Glad to hear she is able to urinate some on her own. She may very well get total bladder control back. But, if not she has an experienced mom who can help her. Pat yourself on the back. YOU have saved her life and given her a chance at a new life. /Jean
PS: Have you looked at the videos of "Poop on demand?" ( I'm terrible at posting links but someone will likely come along that can give you that link. ) I could give my paralyzed cats all the stool softener and hair ball medicine in the world but nothing can replace manually removing the stool. (Easy the stool down the colon and use the pinch method to move the stool through her rectum. ) It is so easy once you learn it. It will make it easier for her to produce urine as well as for you to express her bladder if you get that colon empty. Work this weekend to get that colon really small. The 2 areas of concern with pets and people with paralysis is bladder infections and bowel obstructions. Work to keep that colon as empty as possible every day so that the stool doesn't build up.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

My Koi, who was shot in the spine, eventually got about 3/4 of his tail function back; he dragged the tip most of the time, but it didn't matter.

Congrats on the improvement!
VampireHeart82

Post by VampireHeart82 »

Thanks! I am still hopeing she will regain use. I love her tail and would hate to have it removed if not necessary. I have been trying to work on her colon this whole time but can't ever get it to move down. It does move down on its own and I do check her often. When ever one is at the end and ready to come out I take her to the bathroom and hold her cradled in my arm and gently squeeze on both sides of her rectom just under her tail and it always comes out but I can not get more to move down enough to come out and it doesn't come right down on its own. It takes a while I am hoping the Laxanip will help with that. Even with stool softeners her fecal matter is hard but it does keep on coming so as long as its moving I am happy. She is showing signs of feeling when I touch the base of her tail before the tail (in-between her injury and tail head) which she didn't before. Her rectom was flaccid after the accident but got some tone by the end of the first week. I am wondering if there are any sites that can give me an idea of how to tell if they are starting to have nerve repair. I have read so much online but I have yet to find a site that gives me an idea of what to look for. Or if anyone has an idea or two I would LOVE to hear it!!

Critters, we're you advised to have an amputation done on his tail? What kind of improvement did you start to notice and how long did it take? I know it's not the same kind of injury and every cat is different but I want all of the info I can get!!
If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men.

St. Francis of Assisi
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

With Koi, and Buddy before him, I could just see more movement or more feeling in new places as time went by. Taking Koi's tail was mentioned, but not very strongly; that was the least of his problems.
amyroseparker

Post by amyroseparker »

Hi everybody

Almost exactly the same thing has happened to my cat.

He was hit by a car and he has very similar injuries to Pandora. He is in the vets now having surgery.

Please could you advise how Pandora is now and how she recovered?

Any advice would be most welcome I am worried sick.

Thank you
Amy
RachelJane24

Post by RachelJane24 »

Hello,
I would also like to know how Pandora is. My tom was hit 5 days ago and it's been a stressful week!
He was hit on December 1st. On the 3rd, I was told his fractured pelvis didn't need surgery, but if he has difficulties with urinating and that wasn't a good sign. I was told to prepare for having to have him PTS.

On the morning of the 4th, one of the techs was expressing his bladder when he took control! He has been urinating by himself since. I have been keeping a diary of when he eats, stands, urinates etc to see if there is a pattern.

I have noticed when he has his pain meds, he urinates in his sleep. They're not a strong dose so he is concious when he does it. Is this normal?

He also is not making any attempts to walk or roll over. I was told that he should start trying to walk with a few days, so I am starting to worry. As it stands I am turning him over every 4 hours or so.

Any help or advice on how I can encourage him to walk would be massively appreciated!! Thank you, Rachel
amyroseparker

Post by amyroseparker »

Hi Rachel

How is your cat doing now?

My cat was hit by a car last Wednesday. At the moment he is not moving around much at all, he spends most the day lying in his crate resting and sleeping. One of his hind legs has been badly injured and the extent of the injuries cannot known at this moment, it is not broken but he has suspected nerve damage. Same goes for his tail. He also had surgery for a diaphragmatic hernia which the vet said went very well.

It is clearly a struggle for him to move around, he tries to go to the litter tray but sometimes doesn't make it in time. It is really sad and like you I am so worried. He also hasn't had a bowel movement since surgery.

Please let me know how your little guy is doing, it would be really nice to speak to someone in the same situation.

Thanks
Amy
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

amyroseparker wrote:Hi Rachel

How is your cat doing now?

My cat was hit by a car last Wednesday. At the moment he is not moving around much at all, he spends most the day lying in his crate resting and sleeping. One of his hind legs has been badly injured and the extent of the injuries cannot known at this moment, it is not broken but he has suspected nerve damage. Same goes for his tail. He also had surgery for a diaphragmatic hernia which the vet said went very well. If necessary, nerve damage can be splinted. Vets tend to want to amputate quickly, but I wouldn't, especially with other injuries. The splints from Handicapped Pets are terrific!

It is clearly a struggle for him to move around, he tries to go to the litter tray but sometimes doesn't make it in time. It is really sad and like you I am so worried. He also hasn't had a bowel movement since surgery. Do you know how to stimulate him to poop ("Poop on Demand")? http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... hp?f=5&t=4 If he's taking pain meds he might need a softener as well. Lactulose is a sweet liquid prescription item that is easy to give, and my monsters have always liked it well enough.

Please let me know how your little guy is doing, it would be really nice to speak to someone in the same situation.

Thanks
Amy
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

RachelJane24 wrote:Hello,
I would also like to know how Pandora is. My tom was hit 5 days ago and it's been a stressful week!
He was hit on December 1st. On the 3rd, I was told his fractured pelvis didn't need surgery, but if he has difficulties with urinating and that wasn't a good sign. I was told to prepare for having to have him PTS.

On the morning of the 4th, one of the techs was expressing his bladder when he took control! He has been urinating by himself since. I have been keeping a diary of when he eats, stands, urinates etc to see if there is a pattern.

I have noticed when he has his pain meds, he urinates in his sleep. They're not a strong dose so he is concious when he does it. Is this normal? II wonder if he sleeps more soundly because of the sedating effects of pain meds and/or the comfort of pain relief? One of my SCI boys leaked in his sleep all the rest of his life, so I don't think it's all that uncommon. Koi had been shot in the spine, though, and still carried a pellet. The rest of my SCI boys haven't leaked beyond the initial stages, which, of course, your boy is still in at only 5 days out.

He also is not making any attempts to walk or roll over. I was told that he should start trying to walk with a few days, so I am starting to worry.I'd be SHOCKED if he were walking at only 5 days! He's probably still not feeling all that great. As it stands I am turning him over every 4 hours or so. VERY good idea, and keeping him clean and dry is critical as well.

Any help or advice on how I can encourage him to walk would be massively appreciated!! In my experience they do what they can, when they can, as they can. They usually find a way when they're ready, and I certainly wouldn't push it this soon.Thank you, Rachel
RachelJane24

Post by RachelJane24 »

Hi Amy,
Well it's day 9 and I'm impressed. Toby is still leaking in his sleep, but he is doing number 2s by himself and trying for his tray. He didn't have a bowel movement until day 6 so don't worry (now it's everyday)
If he's trying for his litter tray I would say that an amazing sign! He can obviously feel it coming so hopefully no nerve damage to the bladder.

He's cleaning himself regularly and stretching both legs.
Unfortunately I wasn't home yesterday, but my partner said he tried to walk!
Our vet is very impressed with his progress and says amputation of his leg is hopefully no longer on the cards.
His urine infection has passed now too, which I hope will help with his leaking?

I found a really helpful guide for vets on these injuries where they conducted a case study into 52 cats, and all those that did not regain control of their bladder in 30 days never did. So give him time :) it's still early days.

Toby is eating A LOT and drinking loads as well. I'm feeling really positive about it all.
It seems he just got better over night. I was heart broken on day 3 when the vet told me the chances were we would have to have him PTS, but reading this post really helped me stay positive.
Please don't give up, sometimes they just need that bit of time to heal. Keeping him warm has stopped him moving too much which I thought would help with the healing.

I can see his eyes widen when I go to open his crate, so I'm sure he will soon be trouble again and try to escape when I feed him :wink:

I am actually in the UK, but this is by far the most helpful site I have found! Please keep me updated on your little guy?
Fingers crossed for us both

Rachel
RachelJane24

Post by RachelJane24 »

And thank you so much Critters, really helpful getting advice from people who have been through this before :)
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

RachelJane24 wrote:Hi Amy,
Well it's day 9 and I'm impressed. Toby is still leaking in his sleep, but he is doing number 2s by himself and trying for his tray. He didn't have a bowel movement until day 6 so don't worry (now it's everyday)
If he's trying for his litter tray I would say that an amazing sign! He can obviously feel it coming so hopefully no nerve damage to the bladder.

He's cleaning himself regularly and stretching both legs. Stretching is a great thing because it's proof the SCI isn't complete.
Unfortunately I wasn't home yesterday, but my partner said he tried to walk! This kind of thing isn't usually consistent, so don't be surprised if it's several days, a week, or whatever before he does it again. Things usually get more consistent over time.
Our vet is very impressed with his progress and says amputation of his leg is hopefully no longer on the cards. I would hold off on it, anyway.
His urine infection has passed now too, which I hope will help with his leaking? It very well could.

I found a really helpful guide for vets on these injuries where they conducted a case study into 52 cats, and all those that did not regain control of their bladder in 30 days never did. So give him time :) it's still early days. I think my Buddy was a lot longer than that getting his pee back; it was, in fact, the last thing to come back, behind walking and poop. He was hit by a car and spinal cord injured.

Toby is eating A LOT and drinking loads as well. I'm feeling really positive about it all.
It seems he just got better over night. I was heart broken on day 3 when the vet told me the chances were we would have to have him PTS, but reading this post really helped me stay positive.
Please don't give up, sometimes they just need that bit of time to heal. Keeping him warm has stopped him moving too much which I thought would help with the healing.

I can see his eyes widen when I go to open his crate, so I'm sure he will soon be trouble again and try to escape when I feed him :wink: Probably, but I usually let them call the shots when it comes to stuff like that. When they're ready, they know it.

I am actually in the UK, but this is by far the most helpful site I have found! Please keep me updated on your little guy?
Fingers crossed for us both

Rachel
amyroseparker

Post by amyroseparker »

Hi Rachel and Critters

Thank you so much for your quick responses.

It is Day 7 for John the cat. He still isn't moving much but I imagine that is because he's so sore. He still has little/no function in his right leg or tail however I'm sure I saw him stretch his leg a little, it seems like maybe the thigh muscle is maybe working but nothing else. I also saw his tail switch but that could have been involuntary.

We had a bit of a nightmare night, he finally had a bowel movement (not sure if it had anything to do with the pureed pumpkin, he ate about a teaspoon of it) but missed the litter tray as he's so wobbly on his legs so it ended up going all in his bed. I was up with him from 4am trying to clean the cage out but its awful because he yelps every time you move him from the pain. It's heart breaking seeing him like this.

He is also doing a good job of cleaning himself but I am still so worried as he doesn't really attempt to move around his crate at all except to try for the litter tray. He spends a lot of time asleep/resting but then again he used to sleep all day before the accident. Did Toby seem a bit lethargic at this point? It is still early days so I'm sure in time they will both get there.

John has a fantastic appetite too, he is probably eating double the amount he usually does so this can only be a good sign. Overall, he does look a bit brighter today so I must remain positive.

Rachel it's funny, I am British too but I live in Texas, we brought our cat with us from London when we moved. The poor little guy has been through a lot!

Please continue to post updates, it is really nice to speak to someone in the same situation. I hope Toby is still improving :)

Amy
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

My Beauty had been run over by a car, and I got her the same day. It was probably 2 or 3 weeks before she was ready to be up and around. I'd consider the fact that he's trying to use the box as a really good thing!!!