Advice needed! 1 year old cat with Tail-pull injury

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
AliciaA

Advice needed! 1 year old cat with Tail-pull injury

Post by AliciaA »

Two days ago I got home from work and noticed my cat Marchello was walking very slow and his tail was hanging limp. I brought him inside and gave him food, but he just looked at it and walked gingerly away. Marchello is a little pig-cat normally, so I knew something was terribly off and I immediately took him to the vet.
The vet took an x-ray and was surprised at what she found. Somehow (I still don't know what happened to cause this) his tail was completely pulled from his spine, leaving a large gap between his tail and spine, right above his pelvis. They kept him there until this afternoon to see if he could urinate on his own, which he still cannot do. They told me I should get him put down, but I can't bare to do this. He acts almost normally now that he's home, he's just a bit calmer than usual, but I think he's still in a bit of pain and shock. And I also feel like two days isn't nearly enough time to recover from his injury.
They told me I was going to have to get his tail amputated, but the vet seems to think I won't be able to handle expressing him all the time, and told me to wait in case I decided to give up (which isn't going to happen). But I cant afford an amputation quite yet, so I have to wait anyhow.
I need some advice on how to express Marchello's bladder. I only got to attempt it at the vet, but he was pretty empty so there wasn't much I could do. How often should I express him? And what about helping him express his feces? His stomach muscles are quite tense, but I'm guessing that's because he is fighting me expressing him(he gets pretty upset when I try).
I am willing to do Anyang to help my little one, I just don't know what it is I should do!
critters
Founding Member

Re: Advice needed! 1 year old cat with Tail-pull injury

Post by critters »

cricketsmom

Re: Advice needed! 1 year old cat with Tail-pull injury

Post by cricketsmom »

I'm sorry about your baby's injury! How is he now? How is expressing going?
vet tech and pet mom