Hello , I'm new here and to it all with my Kitten

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
TassjaAnn

Hello , I'm new here and to it all with my Kitten

Post by TassjaAnn »

Hi , well it's a story see... We have a very sweet and pretty white kitten we named Zuria
( mean white and lovely ) she was born from our own INSIDE female cat who well on vacation ( house sitter )
Got pregnant ...thankfully she only had two kittens Zuria and her brother Bishop
Now Bishop is a normal spunky little boy of 9 weeks ( we're keeping them both since how could we part them? )
But poor Zuria was born with Spina bifida :( well we new from the start that she was special ( isn't every one? )
But she was extra special and things were difficult to start and she didn't like to leave her box at all and her brother
Is like her blanket , but that day we saw she had a big Blistery red sore only it was her Private area we rushed her to the vet
( we have had some Bad experiences with doctors and Vets just in this year alone already ) and were NOT expecting the news we heard .... She was born with Spina bifida she was born with an open sore on her back and she was Paralyzed from the waist down with no feelings and she was Incontinent as well after that they said to care for her would be a lot of work and it would be better for her to be put down! Well I looked hat the vet and I looked at this beautiful little girl in my arms purring and I simply couldn't do it! Why? Why should she have to suffer for something she had no control over? Why would I say oh she's a bother just kill her ... Nope ! My cousin was born with Spina bifida and they said she wouldn't live past 7 well she's 30 yrs old now! And happy ! So why couldn't I fight for Zuria ? Because she was an cat? To me she is family , my baby . If I couldn't do that to my own kin why her? Nope nope nope so I got her meds came home and looked all over the net !
There has to be a way this playful sweet baby can live happy and healthy ... Then I started seeing other ppl and there pets with the same things ... Now that I know what I'm starting to deal with I can plan and I'm a planner :) so I found this site and now I have a hope for me and most importantly for HER , for ZURIA .. For her to live.
So what I'm asking..... What I'm PLEADING .... Is any helpful tips, Info, advice or places or things to look up , look at , buy or make .... I would Desperately appreciate it!

Also they said she has no feeling in BOTH her back legs BUT..... One leg is Straight and pretty much just bone but her other leg looks normal when she sits and she can stand on it as well just not all the time when she runs or try's too she does a Skier slide thing( she's fast! ) it Straightens out and she loses strength in it or when she gets tired .. I've watched her and its like her hip or something she rolls that hip to make it move ... And her tail only moves a little bit...and she has no control of her bowel movements and pees when she scoots ..... I learned from reading on here that there is something I can do for that .. The vet didn't even mention anything to help simply gave her Antibiotics and a cream to be Applied to her sore with a note saying it would keep happening ... I'm just Desperate for her ... I'm not rich but I don't think just because I'm not she should die... So again anything helpful

Thank you from the bottom of my heart
mumpkees

Re: Hello , I'm new here and to it all with my Kitten

Post by mumpkees »

What a wonderful post to read - that you love your baby and are willing to do everything you can for her!

You have come to the right place - you aren't alone. There is a wealth of knowledge here willingly shared by other compassionate parents many of whom are dealing with issues similar to the ones you are. I am at work right now and can't write you with my suggestions and questions but I know how many times one checks to see if anyone has answered their post when you write one like you have. Already moderators have read your post and are sending emails and PMs to those of us who have or have had furchildren with similar problems. I was just emailed and wanted to take a minute to let you know that I've been a special needs catmom for a long time to many cats with rear paralysis and spina bifida and other physical challenges. There are many things you will be able to do to help Zuria (and you) with her care and happiness.

I just wanted to let you know to be patient. Others will be along to reply to your post. Most of us work and many care for several special needs dogs and cats. I'll be back this evening to offer some suggestions that have worked for me and our family of special furchildren. My first thing to suggest is to think about finding another vet - mobility challenged and/or incontinent cats and dogs have special issues but they are not insurmountable but they need a vet who understands what those challenges are and are willing to help you. Zuria is very young and with the right vet and your love and care she may very well overcome many of the things the two of you are facing now. /mari
/mari
Spiritcat and the Mooseheart Mumpkees of southeastern Texas
mumpkees

Post by mumpkees »

Hi again!
Here is a lovely story of a little kitten named Dot that was taken in by the wonderful organization, Tabby's Place, and diagnosed with spina bifida. After looking at these pictures and watching her video's how can anyone not see that life is definitely happy and full of fun when one has a special mom like you?
http://lovemeow.com/2012/12/dot-the-spe ... her-story/
http://www.tabbysplace.org/SN_page.php?id=1119
Here are some great pictures of Dot - in her playpen condo, in her cart, on her cat tree and playing with her rear paralyzed best fur-iend.
Dot even has a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/dot.the.kitten - with tons of videos and more pictures.

Can you tell us a little more about Zuria? There isn't all that much information about spina bifida in cats because they really don't know what causes it. One thought that it could be from mom cat's exposure to chemicals or other toxins. You can google spina bifida in cats and you'll find some information. Depending upon the vet writing it, you will get some positive information to those who recommend euthanasia. There really isn't a lot that they can do for it and it runs from very mild to severe enough that the kindest thing to do is to help the baby cross. But for those that are healthy, happy and functioning reasonably well with the right caregiver who is willing to help them with the things they need help with they can live long and happy lives. Often times a little minor surgery can close the opening that Zuria has. The most important thing is to watch it closely and keep it clean.

I'm not doubting your vet's diagnosis, but often spina bifida is misdiagnosed or if a cat is tailless and has any kind of issues it is labeled spina bifida. Again, I would seriously consider looking for another vet who is more friendly towards special needs animals. Some vets are just of the opinion that the best thing for cats and dogs that are not perfect is to euthanize them because there are so many healthy and homeless other ones. They are entitled to their opinion but there are many of us who are willing to help these special ones and feel that they too deserve the same chance for a home and love. Find a vet who feels like you about Zuria.

Does Zuria have a tail? If so, is she able to move it? You say that she has some movement in her rear legs. To help her with gaining more mobility in them you might want to discuss physical therapy and/or water therapy to help strengthen them. She might like a cart - some cats do, others much prefer to use whatever form of locomotion they've created to get from A to B.

Things will be much better (and cleaner) for Zuria, for you and your home if you learn how to empty (express) her bladder and her bowels. It is a very easy thing to learn. Your vet can teach you how to do it and after a little practice you will find it easy to do in a very short amount of time. (there are excellent videos on this site that can show you how others have adapted what they have learned from their vets - or better yet from the techs as they are the ones who most often do the expressing). By expressing her you will keep her bladder from dribbling and keep her from getting urine scald (like very very bad diaper rash) which is hard to clear up. They make a product called Cavalon that provides a barrier against the urine burn. http://www.3m.com/product/information/C ... -Film.html Even amazon carries it for a good price: http://www.amazon.com/3M-Cavilon-No-sti ... B000HY6T7M. Do not use any kind of product on her that has zinc in it - zinc can make cats very sick. You mention that she is emptying her bladder when she scoots across the floor. This may be because her bladder is full and the friction is pushing on her and she pees - sort of like overflow. It is not good for her bladder to remain full - not only will stale urine in the bladder lead to an infection but she could also rupture her bladder if she is not able to empty it.

You can also diaper Zuria while she is out playing and running around in your house. It will keep any leaking off your floors and furniture and it will keep her bottom clean and keep her private areas from getting injured as she scoots across the floor. And believe it or not even with no use of her rear legs, she will be able to climb. You just have to be careful with diapers. She can't wear them all the time because she can't have wetness against her skin all the time.

One of ours has a huge human baby's playpen with the mesh sides. She's rear paralyzed with her rear legs fused from her hips to her feet and both legs sticking out along the left side of her body. We have to watch that she doesn't get hung up against something when she's scooting across the floor so when the dogs are out running or the other cats are tearing thru the house she enjoys life in her playpen condo. She has tons of toys, neat hidey bed and other great draws so she always has a few friends over - especially when she has 'special bean' (kibble) time. LOL.

You'll need to watch her pooping also because if she is bowel incontinent she may need help eliminating the feces from her body. That is done basically the same way that you bladder express. You want to make sure that you help her eliminate when you feel feces inside her so that it doesn't become impacted and could lead to mega-colon. You can experiment with her diet until you find a good quality food that produces firm stools.

Well I hope some of this helps and gives you some ideas. If I've not covered some of the things you are needing help with, don't hesitate to reply back to us with more questions. There are many here that are caring for incontinent and rear paralyzed cats (and dogs) so you'll get lots of good advice and ideas.

Do you have any pictures of Zuria? We all love pictures! /mari
/mari
TassjaAnn

Post by TassjaAnn »

Thank you soo much!!

Well Zuria is 9 weeks old ,

The open woud she was born with he said is closed but still has a bump and he said scar tissue
She sits in he side and it's hard to explain but looks like she is Skiing on our tile ... Other times she will use her right back leg to stand. Her left back leg is totally Straight and is nothing more then bone.
Like I said her right she sometimes stands on it and kinda hops with it and when you watch she makes that hip ( right hip ) roll in a circle to make it move but when she gets tired she always skis .. Her right back leg also gos face down Straight when she try's to run so she ends up skiing lol it's kinda cute as she gos super fast ... But she drags her lower half which is getting abused and Irritated BUT since the cream and giving her a bath every time she gos potty looks like that's helping a LOT but like I said other times she hop walk with her right back leg so she doesn't always scoot more like 30 percent of the time she hops. She gos potty where ever she is , her box , walking where ever .. And she tinkles a bit when her body drags ..she has a full tail , it mostly Twitches and wags almost like a dog tail but in small movements

Other then that she eats .... I give her purina kitten chow with a spoon of meaty bits with a spoon of water mixed ( she gets fity is not ... She has water , and she has been super playful she gos to her side and plays and she is a super cuddle bug and purrs super loud haha even when she sees her dinner she will be getting..

Anything I left out please just ask
TassjaAnn

Post by TassjaAnn »

I'm going to try to send a picture haha haven't Quite got the hang of it yet!
Attachments
Zuria :)
Zuria :)
TassjaAnn

Post by TassjaAnn »

Well I got it now Sooo here she is Zuria !!!

I got a few of her playing as well as I took some of her legs so you could see
I have a video of her walking but it won't let me load it ill have to figure that all out lol
Attachments
Hehe rawr hehe
Hehe rawr hehe
image.jpg
image.jpg
TassjaAnn

Post by TassjaAnn »

A little more pictures
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Ohhh! Cuteness!!! She's perfect! :hearts:
TassjaAnn

Post by TassjaAnn »

Thanks !!! We think so too of course we're bias hehe
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

What an adorable little Meez!! :wub:
mumpkees

Post by mumpkees »

Oh my........ she is beyond cute! You didn't tell us she's a Meezer. I love Siamese. Have had at least one all my life - have three mixes right now - just love listening to them talk in that guttural voice and they always have an opinion on everything!

That's great news that her open spot has grown closed. It really sounds like she is doing very well. She's still very young and has a lot of time for things to get better. She will devise all manner of ways to compensate for what she cannot do 'normally'.

In the meantime to protect her bottom as she skis around the floor you might want to diaper her like we do Dallas (see her picture). Dallas wears her diapers sideways because both her rear legs are on the same side. Again, I'd really talk to a vet about learning to express her - it will help a lot on keeping her from getting sores.

I'd also talk to my vet and/or do some reading about physical therapy and range of motion exercises for Zuria. Helping her strengthen her legs may allow her to begin to spend more time up on her rear legs.

I know this is always a topic that no one wants to think about, but sometimes the amputation of a 'dead' limb is very helpful in the ability for a cat or dog to become more mobile. If Zuria is able to get up on her good leg and it becomes stronger and allows her to stand, walk and run, the removal of the other rear leg that isn't able to hold her weight will take the weight off her hips and spine and allow her to walk on three legs. We have cats who have only three legs and they can tear thru the house, jump up on counters and climb the TV and stereo area where no one is supposed to be. We even have two cats - one who is missing both her front legs and one who is missing both his rear legs. While Kieffer, (no rear legs) cannot 'jump' up on things, he can still climb and ends up in the same off limits places as our four leggers do.

So glad that she is doing so well and that she has such a wonderful caring mom. Loved the pictures. Thank you for sharing. Hope some of what I wrote helps you in caring for your baby. Don't hesitate to post again with any questions that you might have. /mari
Attachments
Dallas (formerly Priscilla) wearing her 'fancy pantz'
Dallas (formerly Priscilla) wearing her 'fancy pantz'
/mari
TassjaAnn

Post by TassjaAnn »

Thank you Sooo much !!! This has given us a hope for her !!
Thanks for showing us Dot the kitty we were able to find a place on Facebook about cats with Paralysis and mobility challenges- the actual name too and there are people there as well who are going through it as well
Because of here and there we have learned a few things and have questions to hit the vet with at her recheck-up this Sunday ! And we are really thinking of a different vet ..

We are going to ask

Her diet - what she needs

Expressing

Rehab for her legs or the Possibility of Amputation

Wheelchair - something to really think on!

I have Probably forgot some questions to ask ... Lol
mumpkees

Post by mumpkees »

Zuria is going to do great - cuz she's got a great mom who loves her!

That's a great list of questions to start out with when you talk to your vet.

You might want to also post to and follow the paralysis and mobility challenges sections on here too. There are so many experienced and knowledgeable people on this forum. Many have been caring for special needs cats and dogs for a long time - often more than one at a time.

We'd love to have you stay here with us and keep us posted on Zuria and share what the two of you learn together. Often times it is the 'newbies' who are the most helpful to another who is just starting the care of a special furchild that are the most help. Those of us long timers sometimes forget that we didn't always know all that we take for granted now.

Where/what is the facebook paralysis for cats group?
/mari
TassjaAnn

Post by TassjaAnn »

Everyone has been great !

The place is a group on Facebook that I asked to join !!
And there super great again like here with in minutes someone was responding to my questions
You can search for it on Facebook it's called
"Cats With paralysis and mobility challenges " there are some super pet parents there JUST like here!

So far I have learned to ask my vet

About Expressing Zuria

Diapers and fancy pants!

Special different foods to ask about

Physical therapy for her legs or Amputation

As well as talking to other pet parents who have are are going trough what I am ! And that has been the greatest !
Zuria and I return to the vet on Sunday and I will keep you all posted lol
But I wanted to say thanks because with out showing me Dot I wouldn't have seen her know it was possible nor would I have asked her parents about her cage and diaper and they wouldn't have told me about the group on Facebook ! And of course I've told them about here!