a new clean up problem

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

a new clean up problem

Post by BendyMom »

ok, i have been takign care of incontinent cats for 12 years.
saw something new today.
Black Cherry wears diapers, so does Butterbean, I try to give them each "bare butt time" in a crate to let things air out. Sometimes they still get some scald on their skin. Yes i use vaseline to protect them.
The only explaination I can think of for today is that it was secondary to healed scald.

I had noticed the past few times I bathed Cherry that her lower abdominal fur seemed a little gummy. I assumed it was the vaseline and didn't think anything of it...
today it was awful and then i noticed....it was dead skin. she had a layer of dead skin over her groin, thighs, and lower abdomen that was sloughing off, except it was caught up in her fur.
Half an hour later most of it is cleaned off and I've trimmed her fur.
None of my three incontinent cats (had 2 in teh past) had this happen, and they certainly had scald issues from time to time. Butterbean came to me with terrible scald. nothing like this happened.
nasty grey skin peeling off, it didn't hurt her it was all dead. She looked quite a bit better with it off. there are some areas on her thighs that I think still need to slough, they weren't quite ready yet. but, she didn't have scald there! Her poor little privates were a mess and she had quite a bit to say about being cleaned! poor girl. she has enough indignity as it is.
skin underneath looks healthy.
her urine was a little dark - the telltale sign of a UTI, so I put extra vitamin C powder in her food tonite and will get antibiotics for her.

has anyone seen anything similar?
hard to gross me out, but that much dead skin coming off my sweet little cat did it.
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.
CarolC

Re: a new clean up problem

Post by CarolC »

No, but it reminded me of this topic?

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=14934&p=79304

Could she have burned herself somehow, unable to feel it? :?

If you figure out what caused it, I'd love to know.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

it wasn't raw or oozing, just a layer of dead skin coming off, like if you had a bad sunburn.
it was all under her diaper.
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

OK, when you said earlier it had seemed a little gummy, I was interpreting that as maybe weeping. Then when you said thighs, I was thinking that was below the diaper area. Do you think there could be some chemical in the diaper, such as an odor control chemical, that she is sensitive to?
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

I've been having similar thoughts. i've been using these diapers for awhile but that much dead skin doesn't just suddenly happen.
her fur was gummy from the dead skin getting caught up in and mixed with teh vaseline :P
the diapers do have a babypowder type scent to them, so that could be it.
when i say on her thighs, you have to keep in mind they are not in normal position, her legs are bent funny, and she doesn't stand on them. but as i am all to famliar with, one little irritation can cause a huge reaction.
guess i will have to get her some different diapers and just sell these at the flea market.

aside from that she is a happy lil girl :)
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I wonder if you could search the brand online to see if anyone else has reported dermatitis from those diapers. I wonder if you could call their 800 number and maybe they could send you a dollars off coupon for one of their other products. They may not make the diapers for pets, but I suspect they know a percentage of their customers are pet owners, it's not that unheard of.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Sounds icky! :shock: Got me beat on that one...
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

discontinuing the Pampers has worked
I managed to clean off the last of the dead skin using peroxide. Fortunatley never had any open areas, just was gross having all this dead skin sloughing off - like you were at the beach and were burned bad but didn't blister, and then a week later everything just starts peeling off, but with fur to catch it all!
so, i sold the Pampers at the flea market. people were thrilled.
She is wearing plain ol Dollar General diapers like ButterBean does and all is well. phew.
she was seriously not amused with the peroxide cleaning and scrubbing sessions, glad that is all done now.
on the plus side, her poops are fine on just regular dry cat food! had her on raw for months and months getting her gut settled. so maybe there is hope for Butterbean's gut.

he seems to be doing mostly ok on 9lives canned food with pumpkin added. mostly ok.
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.