Trying to express cat's bladder - panicking - please help!

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
archgirl1

Trying to express cat's bladder - panicking - please help!

Post by archgirl1 »

Hi all,

I have a 2-year-old cat name Frank who recently had his tail run over by my neighbor's car. He has since had his tail amputated and has suffered nerve damage so that he can no longer urinate or defecate on his own. He has been on Prazosin and Bethanechol Chloride for abut a week now, and, after staying in the hospital for 11 days, he is now, finally, home.

I have been trying desperately to learn to express his bladder, with very limited success. He has only been home for 4 days, but so far I have had to bring him in to the vet 3 times for help. They have been very patient and helpful, bet I am beginning to panic. Not only can I not seem to find his bladder, but Frank is, and always has been, a grumpy cat and he SCREAMS and kicks and claws when I try to do this. It breaks my heart and makes me feel literally sick with guilt.

I have watched a ton of videos and read up as much as I can, but I could really use some help. I don't want to hurt him, but for both of our sakes I need to figure this out.

By the way, although I know this is NOT the preferred method, so far the only times I have had any success is when I use the following method: I put a cone on his head (to keep him from biting me), and we both get tin the bathtub. I get on my knees and face him away from me and kind of straddle his hind end with knees, squeezing lightly with my knees to keep him from squirming. Then I scruff him with my right hand and squeeze with my left. Highly unconventional, I know, but he seems to relax a little when we're in that position. I think the problem is me. For all of my reading and watching and asking for help from the vet, I just feel like I am squeezing blindly! And poor Frank!!

So, any advice anyone could give me would be most appreciated. I know it has only been a few days, but I am sick with grief and so scraed that I won't be able to help him. he is an amazing boy and quick to forgive, but I am scared that i am wearing out his patience, not to mention his bladder...

Thanks, all.

Best,

Misty
CarolC

Re: Trying to express cat's bladder - panicking - please hel

Post by CarolC »

Your method sounds fine, if it isn't bothering your knees. I have expressed my dog's bladder backward like that (see the last picture on this link).

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16027

Have you seen all the cat videos at the end of the above link? (scroll to the end)

In addition, here is a thread that may help.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17272

Here is another thread with a lot of good tips.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17815

I hope this helps a little. Complaining is normal when expressing cats, people commonly mention it, it's not just you. :)
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I agree with Carol--if it works, go for it! My Buddy hated being expressed, so I had to scruff him, turn him on his back, and express with the other hand. Our vet swore up and down he was a two-person job to express and that I couldn't do it alone. Wrong! hehehe I expressed him into a baby diaper, which flopped down over his "gun" and absorbed all the pee. My knees couldn't stand your way, but, then, I'm old. :mrgreen:

:slant:
Jean

Post by Jean »

I recently pulled a cat off of Craig's list with nerve damage to her tail area. She had never been expressed before and it took the vet and I holding her to get her expressed. I decided we had to make this more tolerable
and pleasurable for us both so I started feeding her only when she was expressed. So, I express her 3 times a day and that is when she is fed. I didn't let her over eat at each meal but kept her hungry. Wow, what a difference this made in her attitude.
While eating it will give you time to feel around and find his bladder. Plus, it will be a pleasurable experience for your kitty. Hope expressing is going better.Jean
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Great idea, Jean! Bribery greases the skids of cooperation! :mrgreen: