Stress Bowel Incontinence

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
rosielou2

Stress Bowel Incontinence

Post by rosielou2 »

We adopted a 4 year old pug,seven weeks, ago and he is partially paralyzed from the mid-back down. He can control his urination and until last week, he always pooped outside. Starting last week, whenever the door bell rings or the garage door opens, whenever he gets excited, he poops.We have 2 other pugs so they all start going nuts and Frank can't control his bowels. Frank was on Kibble and bits when we adopted him. Over time, I switched him to Taste of the Wild Bison and his bowels got firm. In early October, when we took him to the University of Mo. to see a neurologist and neurosurgeon, they found crystals in his urine so I had to switch him to Hills CD..for urinary health and he gets some Cranberry Plus stuff from vet sprinkled on his food, twice daily. His stools were solid until about 5 days ago. I know I got to get him on an every 12 hour schedule which is no problem but not sure what I can do about him pooping whenever he gets excited. He had a urine test last Friday at the vet and they saw no crystals. The neurologist is unsure of Frank's life expectancy as he has a rare congenital defect in his thoracic vertebrae and he said if that splits or breaks, he will paralyzed from the neck down. Then we will have to euthanize him. He gets around amazingly well, just dragging his little legs and a wheelchair is being made for him now. So I am okay with taking him off the urinary health dog food for something else. He was skinny when we got him but he is the perfect weight now. I gotta look into the water issue cuz my vet said certain types f water help form crystals. Any ideas much appreciated. Sorry for the length.
CarolC

Re: Stress Bowel Incontinence

Post by CarolC »

You could maybe try some of the ideas in this article. One idea is to feed for quality stools, and feed on a schedule, and you are already working on that. The other idea is to express the bowel. That means you stimulate him to cause him to empty at an appropriate time and place, such as while you are holding him over the toilet, or while you have him standing on a puppytraining pad. Different people have their favorite methods. A lot of people like the q-tip method. I like the ice cube method, and I've used the pinch method a lot, too.

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/?title=Bowel_management_in_incontinent_pets

Hope this helps.

:banner:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Does he have hemivertebrae? There've been quite a few pugs around HP with that.
rosielou2

Post by rosielou2 »

Yes, that is the best diagnosis the neurologists can make, without a MRI. He just started this nervous pooping. And he pooped in our bed during the night. His previous owner has let him sleep in bed with him for 4 years. Tonight, he is going to have to stay in the kennel with our 2 other pugs. This is making me crazy, cuz just now, some idiot rang the doorbell, despite a sign saying..DONOT BRING BELL. and Frank pooped a lot then our lab walked in it and spread it throughout the house. Any suggestions?
rosielou2

Post by rosielou2 »

I guess I am going to have to try making him poop on schedule, with my assistance. I am a RN so that doesn't bother me but we travel a bit and I can't see asking my 70 year old dogsitter to do it.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

rosielou2 wrote:I guess I am going to have to try making him poop on schedule, with my assistance. I am a RN so that doesn't bother me but we travel a bit and I can't see asking my 70 year old dogsitter to do it.
Depends on the 70 YO, I'd say. At least YOU're OK with it; that's a start! You might check around the bb, both this one and neuro, for other pug parents dealing with hemivertebrae.

I'd have been SORELY tempted to smack said doorbell ringer...
marilynb

Post by marilynb »

In regards to the crystals in your pugs urine I can relate to. I have a doxin that has that problem. The vet put him on cranberry pills and he has to have distilled water. Wally is 13 and needs to be espressed and wears a wrap during the day. He sleeps at night in a crate without a wrap with plenty of towels and blankets. I do his laundry every day. Wally has done very well being on the cranberry pills and the distilled water. I hope that this has been a little help.
FYI

Post by FYI »

http://www.doggon.com/dog_incontinence.html
•Drawstring lock around tail hole
•Elastic around leg holes to help prevent leaks
http://www.samsdoghut.com/ecommerce/doggie-essentials/swimwear-doggie-diaper-wraps.php
Designed with a unique (Patent Pending) Drawstring and Cord-Lock System to trap most feces
https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php/Diapers_and_male_wraps

http://www.walkinwheels.com/walkin-wheels-drag-bag.html
Ru-Ru-drag-bag55.JPG
rosielou2

Post by rosielou2 »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a sing on our front door that says Do not Ring Bell or Knock. I will look into the distilled water. My vet failed to mention that . But since we now have 3 pugs and ur previous pug, had the other type of crystals,it would probably be good for all the dogs. Thank you so much