Incontinent cat with really runny stools :(

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
catsrmylife

Incontinent cat with really runny stools :(

Post by catsrmylife »

Hi all

Not sure if this in the right place as it refers more to poop than urine.

Luna (hind limb paralysis, incontinent) has nearly always had loose stools. I express her bladder 3 times per day but never have to do her bowels. Usually, after expressing her bladder, cleaning her, drying her and putting a clean diaper on, she usually poops 10 minutes later! :roll:

Luna likes wet and dried food and she's been on Royal Canin Digestive Comfort 38 dried plus Whiskas/Felix pouches. The RC food says it will only reduce volume of stool and odour if fed exclusively, which Luna won't. Her stools are worse than ever, the last couple of days they have gone a yellow colour, like a puree and what you would expect to find in a baby's diaper. It looks like there is undigested food in it too :( This is despite having her on boiled chicken and boiled rice for the last 2 days.

Obviously I am going to take Luna to the vets this week as I am worried that there could be something sinister wrong. In the meantime, has anyone had this with their kitty or have any advice?

I've attached a picture of the poop (sorry).

Cheers

Susie xxx
Attachments
lpo.jpg
critters
Founding Member

Re: Incontinent cat with really runny stools :(

Post by critters »

Oh, yes, diarrhea is AWFUL with severe disabilities!

I wonder about coccidia with that nasty yellow color; coccidia is known for that. Has she ever been tested for giardia, too? How long has she been eating the new food?

Yeah, ruining a new bath is EVER so much fun! As soon as I lay Baby down she's off to get dirty. :twisted:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

This link has some info on stool color.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranc ... onitor.htm

When my cats have diarrhea the vet gives them Flagyl, boy does it work. :trophy:

I can't quite tell from the photo, looks like a lot of mucus in it (?) or I could be wrong.
catsrmylife

Post by catsrmylife »

Thanks both :)

I thought a minor miracle had occurred when I got home last night; Luna's nappy was off and the laminate wasn't crayoned with poop! The abandoned diaper had some poop in it but it was firmer (I wouldn't say it was firm though but definitely more 'formed') than it has been for a while.

Perhaps the bland diet is having a delayed positive effect? Hmm, went back onto normal food last night so we shall see.

I am wondering about the Coccidia; not so much the Giardia as Luna has been wormed with Panacur and Granofen which both treat that and no blood in her stools.

Thanks for the link; definitely could do with a 'rainbow of poop' in visual form so we can tell what's what. There was a bit of mucous in one of Luna's piles of poop - almost like an egg-white consistency if that makes sense?

I am keeping a close eye on her and if things don't improve will take her to the vets this weekend.

Thanks again .

Susie x
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

catsrmylife wrote: There was a bit of mucous in one of Luna's piles of poop - almost like an egg-white consistency if that makes sense?
Yes, raw egg white is a good description!
CaliCatsMom

Post by CaliCatsMom »

The best thing I have found is probiotics. I use http://probiotics.mercola.com/probiotics-for-pets.html

It makes it easy to change their diet and they they get better nutrition from their food.