Cleaning tips for incontinent kitten

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
katherinerose

Cleaning tips for incontinent kitten

Post by katherinerose »

I have a 9 month old kitten that was diagnosed with a congenital birth defect and neurological disorder, she's SUCH a cute little pill. We rescued her around 3 weeks from some people at my apartment complex trying to get her run over by a car. She was barely starting to walk and obviously malnourished and I intended to nurse her back to health, get her shots and spayed and give her away. As soon as we realized that she was not "normal" there was no question she would be staying in our lives.

We have been working very hard to become accustomed to her condition, and I think, to get her accustomed to her environment and her condition. Maybe crazy, but it feels the older she gets the easier it becomes to express.

My question is I'm wondering what other people do to keep the smell at bay. She gets expressed three times a day, but always dribbles in between. I mean our vet can express her and if she's excited or nervous or sleepy, she WILL dribble. Obviously in the bathroom it's easy to clean, but I don't like to leave her in there if I can help it. Our carpets smell, so far I try to steam clean once a month, but that doesn't help in between, so I'm wondering what anyone else here does for cleaning behind an incontinent kitty. Wither for the carpets, tile, fabric or air, I'd like to hear what you may have to say.
CarolC

Re: Cleaning tips for incontinent kitten

Post by CarolC »

Here are two ideas for kitten diapers.

Click the first one to see a photo of a sock diaper:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11782&p=60658&hilit ... cks#p60658

This second one is a detailed description of how to make a mitten diaper:
LisainCAN » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:02 pm in http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13265&p=69857&hilit=a+baby+mitten#p69857 wrote:
When my Manx was tiny I needed a diaper for him and I could not find anything that was small enough. Even baby socks were too big. I found those mittens that are made for babies to cover their hands when they are born so that they do not scratch themselves. I made the *tiniest* slits for the legs (because that cotton sure does stretch) and attached it to his middle with the self-cling bandages (vet wrap) that vets use. I discovered that a bigger version of this tape is used to wrap horse's legs and you can find it in the livestock stores (for much cheaper). This system maybe will work for Nigel and will at least protect his belly. Maybe his legs are ok for now and then later you can maybe try one of those stretchy dollar store gloves (that look teeny weeny but stretch) and cut off three of the fingers. Wait, LOL, yours has a tail! So three slits in the cotton mitten and cut two fingers off the glove.
For urine, I use Nature's Miracle enzyme spray, and to locate the spots that need to be cleaned I turn off the lights and darken the room and use a black light. Nature's Miracle and a black light can be found in the the pet cleanup aisle of PetsMart. There are other products similar to Nature's Miracle but I like it because it is unscented.
tanya

Post by tanya »

Hi everyone. I'm so glad I found this forum. My situation regarding diapers is slightly different. My little boy has no tail. He does use the litter box but because he doesn't have a tail, he has, what the vets have said, is a problem with his sphinter. Basically, he uses the litter box but has frequent accidents around the house as well. A diaper would not be appropriate since that would restrict him from using the box. Any suggestions? I guess that I'm asking is, how can I create a combination diaper to catch any "accidents", yet still enough of an opening for when he uses his box. He's 4 years old, and I rescued him about 6 months ago. The shelter has offered to "take him back", but nope...he's mine no matter what, I'm just trying to find a happy medium for something that's out of his control.

Thanks all and happy holidays.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:slant: Does he leak poop, pee, or both?
tanya

Post by tanya »

Just pee. It's not a lot, proably because he knows enough to use his box. However, it happens enough to cause quite the odor, and unfortunately the stains on bedding. A diaper would be ideal if he NEVER used his box, but I just can't imagine putting a diaper on him, knowing that he still intends to use the box. It's a tricky situation. Right now, I basically have wee wee pads all over the house, but....that's not fun either. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The things we do for our pets.....:o)
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Hmm. My Koi boy was a pee leaker, and I used washable pee pads and mattress pads on the places he was most likely to leak. It's too bad sometimes that they're not rigged more like dogs and, therefore, be able to use belly bands to catch pee!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I don't know either. I see what you're saying.

It might be one of those things where you try it and see how he responds. We are kind of assuming that he would be put off by going to the box and finding he is urinating into a diaper. Yes, that might be how he would feel. On the other hand, it might not bother him so much after all. It might be satisfying for him to go to the box, do his scratching, pee into his diaper, scratch some more, and exit the box happy. Especially if you adjust the tail hole to ensure the solid waste drops out, so he can bury it properly. You don't really know till you try. If he is clearly disconcerted by it, then you apologize all over the place and take off the diaper and don't try that again.

I'm thinking that since he dribbles between trips to the box, peeing into his diaper will not be a shocking physical sensation because he will already be feeling the warm diaper against his skin. You might not want him to go all day with one diaper, since the excess urine in the gel filling starts to make the diaper physically heavy, and he might object to wearing it if is was heavy feeling.

There is a chance he may not like wearing a diaper at all, not so much because of it hampering his litterbox habits, but because of wearing something around his waist, but that is totally up to the individual cat.

Here is a picture of Fripple in his diaper.
Fripple2.png
Fripple1.png
You can also express a cat's bladder. I don't know if that would be appropriate here or not. Whatever you express out will not be staining the linens. He is still welcome to go to the box between times.

Here is one example of expressing a cat, there are many more in the link below (scroll to the bottom).

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... =5&t=16027

Another option is to have rooms of the house where he is not allowed unless he is wearing a diaper. For example, close the bedroom door during the day if you want him to be able to go around during the day with no diaper. However at night put the diaper on him so he can sleep on the bed. Something like that?

:catbed:
Nady123

Post by Nady123 »

katherinerose wrote:I have a 9 month old kitten that was diagnosed with a congenital birth defect and neurological disorder, she's SUCH a cute little pill. We rescued her around 3 weeks from some people at my apartment complex trying to get her run over by a car. She was barely starting to walk and obviously malnourished and I intended to nurse her back to health, get her shots and spayed and give her away. As soon as we realized that she was not "normal" there was no question she would be staying in our lives.

We have been working very hard to become accustomed to her condition, and I think, to get her accustomed to her environment and her condition. Maybe crazy, but it feels the older she gets the easier it becomes to express.

My question is I'm wondering what other people do to keep the smell at bay. She gets expressed three times a day, but always dribbles in between. I mean our vet can express her and if she's excited or nervous or sleepy, she WILL dribble. Obviously in the bathroom it's easy to Carpet cleaning in coquitlam, but I don't like to leave her in there if I can help it. Our carpets smell, so far I try to steam clean once a month, but that doesn't help in between, so I'm wondering what anyone else here does for cleaning behind an incontinent kitty. Wither for the carpets, tile, fabric or air, I'd like to hear what you may have to say.
yes i agree with you,we have to clean the carpet every month so,everybody will live their life happily included kittens also because they can't survive in dirty place.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:slant: Nady!