Anyone on the board in northern New Jersey?

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
amyestes

Anyone on the board in northern New Jersey?

Post by amyestes »

I have moved to Montclair, NJ and could use recommendations for a great veterinarian. I would love to work with someone who has experience with tail pull injuries and incontinence. It would be so great to go to a vet who doesn't think what I am doing is nuts. :D

Thanks!!!
critters
Founding Member

Re: Anyone on the board in northern New Jersey?

Post by critters »

amyestes wrote: I would love to work with someone who has experience with tail pull injuries and incontinence. It would be so great to go to a vet who doesn't think what I am doing is nuts. :D

Thanks!!!
Indeed!! They are few a far between; I'm usually satisfied to find one that's willing to learn or to just go with the program. Is there a species-specific vet nearby?
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I guess I should say "a cats-only vet nearby."
amyestes

Post by amyestes »

Thanks Critters! I think I have found someone to try -- not a cat-specific vet, but someone whose online reviews suggest he is especially good with cats and works with a number of cats with chronic kidney disease and diabetes, so at least he seems to support people willing to go the distance! Miss Kitty is doing really pretty well, but every now and then I have a scary moment (like our problem with constipation earlier this week -- thank goodness it seems to be under control as of tonight), and I know I shouldn't waste any time in finding a person and meeting him/her before I am in dire need. I could still go to my old vet in Manhattan, but he is in such high demand that it is really hard to get in to see him, and the other vets in that practice definitely think I am crazy. Wish us luck!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

You're not crazy, you're excellent.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Frankly, most vets think most of us are crazy. Consider it a badge of honor!! :mrgreen: :twisted:

The new vet definitely sounds like being worth a try. If not, there are always other fish in the sea; we've kissed PLENTY of toads in that regard!
amyestes

Post by amyestes »

Thanks Carol and thanks Critters! I will let you know how it goes! :D
amyestes

Post by amyestes »

Carol and Critters! I am just back from the vet and I am so excited I had to post. He worked with another client who manually expressed her cat's bladder for 14 years! He doesn't think I am crazy! His vet tech told me if I wanted to take a night off and gave them Miss Kitty's schedule, they would conform to it (I had stopped ever boarding her because it never worked out -- I still think I would only do that in case of emergency, but what a comfort to know the option exists)! He understood before I even said it that if the stool isn't soft enough, the bladder expression won't work. He gave me his cell phone and told me to use it if I ever have an after-hours emergency, and he encouraged me to call him with questions. He told me if I think something is wrong, to call him, because he is confident I know. It's like an answer to a little prayer I have been sending up since I moved. I think he would have been terrific no matter what, but I would like to find that person who was his client who expressed her kitty's bladder for 14 years and kiss her, because she is the reason he knows so much. It just reminds me that every one of us who does this and persists with a vet makes it that much better for the next hooman and the next dog or cat going through it. Win win win!!!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

amyestes wrote:It just reminds me that every one of us who does this and persists with a vet makes it that much better for the next hooman and the next dog or cat going through it. Win win win!!!
You are so right. Glad you not only found someone satisfactory, but someone really marvelous. Happy for you AND Miss Kitty! :D
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

TERRIFIC!!! We've NEVER found anybody THAT good! :wow: