boxer has DM

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
lovemyboxer

boxer has DM

Post by lovemyboxer »

I am looking for some help. My sweet boxer has DM and has lost alot of the strength in her hind legs. As the winter approached it has become more difficult to get her outdoors to relieve herself. I need any advice on how to get her to relieve herself indoors. Also how other dog owners who love their dogs cope with the high demand of taking care of a dog with DM.

Thanks
critters
Founding Member

Re: boxer has DM

Post by critters »

:slant: Have you considered a cart (wheelchair)? Walking aids?
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

There are some DM support groups on Yahoo groups and on Facebook- you'd probably find them very helpful.

But I agree- a wheelchair (cart) will help greatly with quality of life as well as basic needs.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
lovemyboxer

Post by lovemyboxer »

I have purchased a wheelchair for her and she wants no part of it, doesn't want to walk when I put her in it. I need to know what is the best way to house train her, especially with winter coming. What do others who have a dog with dm do while they are at work all day and their dog is at home, I constantly worry about her.

Thank you
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Is it a situation where you have a doggy door and she used to use that, and now she's having trouble with it? I would think you might just want to try diapers with her, then take her out to the yard when you get home and take them off outdoors. Chances are she will sleep a lot while you are at work. I think my biggest concern would be to be sure she can reach her water bowl. You might want to think of a way to set up a tip-proof water bowl near her bed. Is there any way you can come home at lunchtime and check on her or do you work too far away?