Bladder expression while traveling

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
amyestes

Bladder expression while traveling

Post by amyestes »

Hi friends,

Wishing everyone here a holiday season filled with love, joy, peace, and good health, whatever you may be celebrating. Tomorrow my brother and I set off on a car trip that is 11 hours under the very best conditions to get to our mom for Christmas, with my special needs cat and his special needs dog in tow. :D Given the number of stops we anticipate having to make, we will probably be on the road more like 13 - 14 hours.

We did this last year and although it was not perfect, I was much happier than when I have left Miss Kitty at the vet. I am working very hard to maintain her schedule this year. In an ideal world I would be able to express her bladder at least once while we are on the road tomorrow.

I am trying to think of how to do this without spending $ for a hotel/motel rm for half an hour. We are in a rental car. I usually express her into a sink. Driving from near Charlottesville, VA to about 70 miles southwest of Nashville, TN. We were brainstorming tonight and wondering about veterinary offices/shelters (maybe for a donation? ), Petco or Petsmart stores. Anyone else done this? Would love your tips and suggestions!

Thanks so much!

Amy
CarolC

Re: Bladder expression while traveling

Post by CarolC »

Well, personally I really wished I could take my dog into the McDonald's restroom and pull down the baby changing table and lay a pad on it and express there. But since I didn't want to risk it, I expressed her on the hood of the car and poured a big cup of water on it to rinse it off. I also expressed her on the grass. I like your idea of PetsMart, it all depends on what their bathroom facilities are like. Do you need a counter or do you hold her in your arms when expressing?
amyestes

Re: Bladder expression while traveling

Post by amyestes »

Thanks Carol! I usually need a counter -- she grasps the edge and I hold her rear over the sink to express her - however your question made me think if I can enlist my brother to help, I may have more options. I love your ingenuity!