Cat Bladder Expression- When is empty?

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
WALLYSMUM

Cat Bladder Expression- When is empty?

Post by WALLYSMUM »

Hi my 3 year old male cat Wallace had a tail injury a week ago & I have just gotten the hang of expressing his urine. The question I have is how do I know when it's empty enough? I usually get loads coming out in a stream then as his bladder gets smaller it dribbles out but he won't let me continue. Am I getting it all out or enough of it anyway? I don't want him to get a bladder infection. Any help is appreciated. Thank you! :)
CarolC

Re: Cat Bladder Expression- When is empty?

Post by CarolC »

It sounds like you are doing really well already, that's good to hear. You may find that if you let him rest for a minute, his bladder will kind of reform itself to a smaller size and then you will be able to express again. If there is nothing left you will at least be able to feel it better after it shrinks, so you will be able to tell for sure.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I agree that that sounds REALLY good! With a tail pull, it's entirely likely that he'll get his function back, although he'll probably be a bit more prone to UTIs than somebody who hasn't been hurt. With cats, you pretty much have to do what you can do while also doing behavior modification to get them to let you do more! :twisted:
WALLYSMUM

Post by WALLYSMUM »

Thank you both so much for replying. I've given him some time during expressing before continuing so that I could feel it better & that helped! I really hope he regains some function, his tail is completely limp :( No movement at all... he's pooping on his own with some stool softeners in the box, so that's a good thing! He's such a sweetheart & 2 months ago he lost his brother, so when this happened it was very hard on all of us. Thanks again guys! <3
JimmyLittlesMama

Post by JimmyLittlesMama »

my 7 month old with complete break tall pull is peeing when he licks himself quite a big amount but we are still needing to express. . he has done a couple of poos in his litter but mostly " dropping bombs" all over the house... is the lick and peeing a good sign or am I clutching at straws.
:? Michele